MOTOR CITY TERMINATORS tour NICHE-LINE, I got to meet my engine builders!!!

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member

Our club went to the Romeo Engine Plant yesterday for the most amazing tour. Total red carpet treatment, all the way through. The tour was setup by MysticBob, one of our members with serious connections. Our guide, Bob Herrick was so cool, a terrific ambassador for the plant, showed us the High volume line (Focus Taurus F150, IIRC) and the Low volume line (Navigator, Aviator, MACH1). Told us they "drop" (produce) an engine every 18 seconds and that they provide the engines for 11 assembly plants.
After a quick trip through the Office/Management area (small) and a little briefing in the main boardroom we went to the PIT STOP gift shop and bought shirts and hats. The profits from this store go to local charities, not into someone’s pocket. They have shirts with a replica of the SVT tag on your cam cover, also many nice ROMEO ENGINE and patriotic items. The lady that runs the store, Charlotte Young will take a shirt back to the Niche-Line and have your builders sign it if you want one. More details on that later.

Then on back to the dyno area. They had a 5.4 Navigator engine doing a 100hr WOT test. It was about 36hrs into it, manifolds were cherry red, got a great pic of it!. It was making 350hp and 36X tq. I think it was pegged at like 5600rpm, awesome sight.

After that we went though the engine teardown area. A couple problem engines were disassembled to bits with all components in trays. If you puke an engine and it is replaced under warranty it will likely end up in this room.

All of this was in the main building where the majority of the approx 1400 UAW/Management ROMEO folks work. Next we went to a much smaller building where there was a tool shop, bunch of forklifts, maintenance stuff. Only about 30-40 guys in there.

Finally on to the SECRET LOCATION of the NICHE-LINE. It really is completely separate from the regular production and in an even smaller building than the tool shop. It is a single line, two sides, about 50 yards long. The cradles start off empty, move to the position of the bare block, then on to piston stuffing, crank install, water pump etc…. Then around the corner to heads, Cam chain cover, blower, pullies, accessories….
The heads are assembled in the main plant and sent over to our builders. They actually do the “CAM CAP RETOURQE” on every head after it is completely assembled. That is what stopped my “TICK”.

The line is very clean, maybe a pop can here and there but looks neater than my cube at work. We met the line supervisor and he started hunting down our individual builders. I was looking for Jay Conklin and Jeff Hamblin. Total luck out that they were both there! Jeff made me a spare Cam Cover tag and Jay showed me some of the components. Man are the rods on these pistons beefy, says MANLEY right on them. The piston assemblies are dated on the top dish showing when they were assembled with the rods. Every part has different color dots. Some they knew, some they said other people had put on. The blue paint on the heads is showing it is from the new casting, was told that by a fellow there.
Funny thing was that Jay and Jeff did not remember working together. Seems they both have different partners now. Jay now works with Ann Lemay, the only female Terminator engine builder. Ann is a very nice lady and she made me another CC tag with here name and Jay’s on it (her current partner). She joked about how rare and valuable it would be ‘cause ‘she is the only girl back there’. These folks were the nicest people you would ever want to meet. They were about as excited as we were to meet such enthusiastic SVT owners. They get tours through there regular they told us but not many Terminator owners.

After the tremendous high of the Niche-Line we went to the graphics and Audio-Video area. Just two guys there. One was making a video animation of the new 3-valve motor. Dang does it use tiny profile rods! It looks like a decent engine though, showed how the variable valve mechanism works. The other guy is the one who makes the cool posters. He verified the "TERMINATOR" anme was pulled because of the movie folks objecting.

Then we posed for a group pic with Bob Herrick and took our goodies home.

Like to thank Mysticbob and SNAKEBITE of the Motor City Terminators for setting this excellent tour up. I never imagined it would be so thorough and show us so much. We had 12 of our 25 members show up. I have 41 pics of the plant, Niche-Line, lots of cool stuff that will be up at our clubs website by tomorrow late. Hope you guys can stop by and check them out. This is one club where membership has huge benefits.

We are also setting up another tour of the Dearborn Assembly Plant end of the month. Can’t wait for that one either. I would suggest you don't wait any longer to join up.

Link to our page in my sig.

f9a5ae46.jpg

f9a5afd8.jpg

Last edited:

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Originally posted by postban
The blue paint on the heads is showing it is from the new casting, was told that by a fellow there.

Hmmmm.... I've had two head replacements thus far and NEITHER of the heads came with blue paint on them?

U.M.

sonic cobra

Established Member
That was really cool. Ann lemay is one of my engine builders and I've often thought it would be nice to send them a little note to let them know how happy I am with their work. Just never figured out how to do it. I'm in manufacturing for many years and I know how you can get caught up in the production schedules, line rates and such and tend to lose sight of the human element at the other end. Thanks for sharing

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Wow. Geography really worked to your advantage. I'm very very jealous. Congrats on that awesome day.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Originally posted by dougwg
this was sent to me via e-mail :)

Is the original bigger?? Would love to have that printed out the same size as we saw up there.

dougwg

Established Member
that is what he sent me ... I could ask for a full size ;-)...

he also ask for me to send him some MCTCC logo stuff and he would incorperate it into this poster :)

Last edited:

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
Postban,
Great story, well-told.

Hmmmm... 100 hour WOT test -- I always hate the last 2-3 seconds on my dyno test. 100 hours...

A bunch of us envy you and your group.
James

Last edited:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Re: Re: MOTOR CITY TERMINATORS tour NICHE-LINE, I got to meet my engine builders!!!

Originally posted by Uncle Meat
Hmmmm.... I've had two head replacements thus far and NEITHER of the heads came with blue paint on them?

U.M.

the blue paint was only used in the beginning of the run of new heads...this was to ensure that they would know when all of the older heads had been purged from the line. Afterwards, the redesigned heads were no longer marked blue

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Re: Re: Re: MOTOR CITY TERMINATORS tour NICHE-LINE, I got to meet my engine builders!!!

Originally posted by JB
the blue paint was only used in the beginning of the run of new heads...this was to ensure that they would know when all of the older heads had been purged from the line. Afterwards, the redesigned heads were no longer marked blue

See, that proves it, JB listens WAAAAAY better than I do:bash:

Bad case of CRS here.

Last edited:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: MOTOR CITY TERMINATORS tour NICHE-LINE, I got to meet my engine builders!!!

See, that proves it, JB listens WAAAAAY better than I do:bash:

Bad case of CRS here.

well, that may be but your writeup of the event was superb! :thumbsup: :beer:

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
Looks like Doug got the original poster before Coletti ordered it changed - Notice the "Terminator" under Cobra!

(another cool story from the tour)

03TRMN8R

Established Member
Nice write up postban. I'm sorry I missed it guys. It looks like it was a very fun and informative tour. Should've called in sick or used a vacation day.

numbaonestunna

Established Member

Our club went to the Romeo Engine Plant yesterday for the most amazing tour. Total red carpet treatment, all the way through. The tour was setup by MysticBob, one of our members with serious connections. Our guide, Bob Herrick was so cool, a terrific ambassador for the plant, showed us the High volume line (Focus Taurus F150, IIRC) and the Low volume line (Navigator, Aviator, MACH1). Told us they "drop" (produce) an engine every 18 seconds and that they provide the engines for 11 assembly plants.
After a quick trip through the Office/Management area (small) and a little briefing in the main boardroom we went to the PIT STOP gift shop and bought shirts and hats. The profits from this store go to local charities, not into someone’s pocket. They have shirts with a replica of the SVT tag on your cam cover, also many nice ROMEO ENGINE and patriotic items. The lady that runs the store, Charlotte Young will take a shirt back to the Niche-Line and have your builders sign it if you want one. More details on that later.

Then on back to the dyno area. They had a 5.4 Navigator engine doing a 100hr WOT test. It was about 36hrs into it, manifolds were cherry red, got a great pic of it!. It was making 350hp and 36X tq. I think it was pegged at like 5600rpm, awesome sight.

After that we went though the engine teardown area. A couple problem engines were disassembled to bits with all components in trays. If you puke an engine and it is replaced under warranty it will likely end up in this room.

All of this was in the main building where the majority of the approx 1400 UAW/Management ROMEO folks work. Next we went to a much smaller building where there was a tool shop, bunch of forklifts, maintenance stuff. Only about 30-40 guys in there.

Finally on to the SECRET LOCATION of the NICHE-LINE. It really is completely separate from the regular production and in an even smaller building than the tool shop. It is a single line, two sides, about 50 yards long. The cradles start off empty, move to the position of the bare block, then on to piston stuffing, crank install, water pump etc…. Then around the corner to heads, Cam chain cover, blower, pullies, accessories….
The heads are assembled in the main plant and sent over to our builders. They actually do the “CAM CAP RETOURQE” on every head after it is completely assembled. That is what stopped my “TICK”.

The line is very clean, maybe a pop can here and there but looks neater than my cube at work. We met the line supervisor and he started hunting down our individual builders. I was looking for Jay Conklin and Jeff Hamblin. Total luck out that they were both there! Jeff made me a spare Cam Cover tag and Jay showed me some of the components. Man are the rods on these pistons beefy, says MANLEY right on them. The piston assemblies are dated on the top dish showing when they were assembled with the rods. Every part has different color dots. Some they knew, some they said other people had put on. The blue paint on the heads is showing it is from the new casting, was told that by a fellow there.
Funny thing was that Jay and Jeff did not remember working together. Seems they both have different partners now. Jay now works with Ann Lemay, the only female Terminator engine builder. Ann is a very nice lady and she made me another CC tag with here name and Jay’s on it (her current partner). She joked about how rare and valuable it would be ‘cause ‘she is the only girl back there’. These folks were the nicest people you would ever want to meet. They were about as excited as we were to meet such enthusiastic SVT owners. They get tours through there regular they told us but not many Terminator owners.

After the tremendous high of the Niche-Line we went to the graphics and Audio-Video area. Just two guys there. One was making a video animation of the new 3-valve motor. Dang does it use tiny profile rods! It looks like a decent engine though, showed how the variable valve mechanism works. The other guy is the one who makes the cool posters. He verified the "TERMINATOR" anme was pulled because of the movie folks objecting.

Then we posed for a group pic with Bob Herrick and took our goodies home.

Like to thank Mysticbob and SNAKEBITE of the Motor City Terminators for setting this excellent tour up. I never imagined it would be so thorough and show us so much. We had 12 of our 25 members show up. I have 41 pics of the plant, Niche-Line, lots of cool stuff that will be up at our clubs website by tomorrow late. Hope you guys can stop by and check them out. This is one club where membership has huge benefits.

We are also setting up another tour of the Dearborn Assembly Plant end of the month. Can’t wait for that one either. I would suggest you don't wait any longer to join up.

Link to our page in my sig.

f9a5ae46.jpg

f9a5afd8.jpg

Let me just say... Dearborn is terribly unimmpressive (DAP) There's a reason why that plant is shutting down. =) How old is it now, 60 years?

Jaysvt

Ready for Summer
Established Member
great tour, wish more people showed up I had a blast. Thanks to everyone that went and special thanks to Bob for putting all of this together. Best day of my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks jay

Snkbyte

I'm the cream of the crop
Established Member
NIce write up postban. I also had a great time, that is something I will never forget. Thanks to everyone that set it up:thumbsup:

Will

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Pics are up.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287723329

Login is postbanguest
password is guestpostban

or use your own login.

Also, I just hung up with Charlotte Young and she OK'd me putting out this info to make all the products at the PIT STOP available to us fanatics. T-shirts signed by your builder, R.E.P. shirts or jackets or hats. Lots of way cool stuff from the source.

Shoot her a call or email with your contact info and she will get you an order form.

Charlotte Young
FTPM Hourly Coordinator
Romeo Engine Plant
701 East 32 Mile Road
Romeo, MI 48065
[email protected]

Remember, all profits of the PIT STOP go to local charities.

Users who are viewing this thread