Motor hood shroud and gas mileage

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
I just did a 152 mile trip to visit some relatives. On this trip I normally get 23.6 miles to the gallon of fuel on the highway as tested on at least two dozen occassions.

The trip I took yesterday is the first trip I took there with the hood shroud completely removed and the flaps open. Before the trip I filled the tank until it over-flowed. During the trip I noticed the gas needle hardly moved for the first 100 miles. I wouldn't have even expected this to happan but by the end of the trip I noticed I only used a quarter tank of gas per the gas gauge. Normally I use about 1/3 of a tank. I went to a gas station, filled the tank to overflow and it only took 5.5 galloons of gas to refill.

This means my gas mileage jump to 27.6 miles per gallon. Would taking the shroud off which allows the engine to run cooler actually produce a 4 mpg increase? Has anyone else who has removed the shroud noticed an increase in their gas mileage? Or is this all just some fluke?

SVTCobra2001

Cone Crasher
Established Member
Just an FYI when it comes to our cars..
I had my car flow tested. The results really surprised me..

At 80 MPH the car was getting just over 19 MPG
At 65 the car was getting over 27 MPG

Our cars are gas-o-holics over 65..

Too bad I can't drive 65.. That just is too slow.

hwystr

Established Member
Wind, vehicle speed, as well as too short of distance to use fuel tank fill-up as a measuring stick. Depending on the angle of the car, you can get more or less fuel in the tank. I'd suggest running a full tank to empty and re-compute.

I seem to get 22mpg between 50-75mph, not much change, over 80mph it starts to drop to <20mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread