Motor Oil and the infamous tick..

Honest Mike

Established Member
Hey guys, we all know about the infamous ticking noise our cars make. It seems to happen after an oil change. Fresh oil brings it out in full force. What's funny to me is the more miles I put on the oil, the tick completely disappears. Why? Why when the oil is old and dirty the tick is gone? The oil gets thicker when old and dirty? My car has the Track Pack option so it calls for 5w50 but I have also tried 5w20 which is what a non Track Pack car would take. Ticks with either weight. I have heard people have switched to 5w30 or 10w30 with no ticking. I think they said it was Royal Purple or Amsoil. Anyone solve their ticking with just an oil brand or oil weight change?

Last edited:

noldevin

Established Member
A lot of the coyotes do it after an oil change. Most go away with some miles. No one really seems to know why and it never seems to cause any problems.
Some have luck with different oils, some don't.

I personally get the tick after an oil change, it goes away after about 1k miles or after I do a track day. Different weights made no difference. I've always used amsoil. Don't use Royal Purple.

TLDR: a lot of them do it. It never really causes any issues (unless you're hearing a different tick than the oil change tick) Don't worry about it.

Honest Mike

Established Member
Yep same here, put clean oil and it ticks lol. My car is due for an oil change now and I hate to change it cause I know it will be ticking away again lol. Right now it's completely quiet and the oil has 5500 miles on it roughly.

KushBandit

Established Member
I had the tick with Motorcraft 5w20 and Mobil1 5w20. Switched to Amsoil 5w20 and it went away. Currently running Amsoil 10w30 and no tick.

jn2

Established Member
Currently running M1 EP 10w-30 with no engine tick after oil changes. I'm in Texas so it does not get as cold here, hardly ever drops below freezing.

GBCoyote

Established Member
I own two coyotes, and had a third one prior. None of them had the tick. Exclusively used Pennzoil platinum 5w20.

wr450

Established Member
I cant think that a tick whatever it may be is normal if some do and some don't my car makes no noises at all I pulled into a drive thru last year and it had I thought a little noise that I never noticed and it spooked me into using Gibbs driven oil I had allready researched that oil after reading about all the noisey motors it's as quite now as the day I brought it home it was prolly my imagination anyway I will day that 20 years ago the phrase oil is oil held more weight than it does today I've contemplated switching back to penzoil ultra lately though because the Gibbs is 10 bucks a quart

Honest Mike

Established Member
Thanks everyone for the replies so far!!

Yup that's when you notice it most, in a drive through, against the wall, low rpm's.

Last edited:

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
We have had it in our 12 gt. Our 13 F-250 6.7 has it too for about 1,000 miles. I guess its normal. I read Ford recommends zinc for it to go away.

Last edited:

Juan E Rodriguez

It is interesting that LMR claims Ford identified the tick as cming from the A/C belt. They sell a belt, idle pulley and tensioner which are supposed yo do away with the tick.
You guys tried this?

Paul.

Established Member
It is interesting that LMR claims Ford identified the tick as cming from the A/C belt. They sell a belt, idle pulley and tensioner which are supposed yo do away with the tick.
You guys tried this?

You have a link to that kit? I can't find it on LMR.

Paul.

Established Member
Hmmm, anyone have a picture of that setup installed? I wonder if it would work with my Whipple setup? I have a huge bracket with a ton of idler pulleys on the front of the motor.

Users who are viewing this thread