Motor Problems? Options?

6mtsedan

Established Member
[video=youtube_share;8yb416kGbDM]http://youtu.be/8yb416kGbDM[/video]

This is my car that I picked up. Not sure whats wrong with it...From the videos i've watched online and prevalence, i can only assume its a spun bearing.

What are my options at this point or what should i do? The body is great on the car. Everything is good but the motor. Car has 65k miles on it.

01yellercobra

Established Member
That doesn't sound like rod knock to me. Rod knock is usually more rhythmic. And it sounded like it went away and came back. In my experience rod knock never goes away. I'd get a stethoscope and see if you can pinpoint the exact location.

jeason15

Established Member
That doesn't sound like rod knock to me. Rod knock is usually more rhythmic. And it sounded like it went away and came back. In my experience rod knock never goes away. I'd get a stethoscope and see if you can pinpoint the exact location.

It is very common for a spun bearing to have a knock that only comes out under high rpm or heavy load. It sounds to me like the rod knock was caught early enough that you didnt hear it at idle, or at least not in the video. It wouldnt suprise me if the crank and the rod were still ok, and just need a new bearing insert.

6mtsedan

Established Member
Ill find out this week but so far, only one rod was seen to have very minor scoring on it.
If that is the case, that leaves the budget open for a serious motor build!

Users who are viewing this thread