motor swap questions

GT2aCOBRA

Established Member
First off i have a 96 gt which ill prolly be swaping over to 5.0. I was wondering if anyone knew where to find sum info on the ecu and harness part of the swap?

Second i was wondering what everyone thinks about a 347 stroker motor so far its either a really good stroker motor as the mags say, or its a really bad motor due to oiling problems as many people i have talked to state, they end up saying go with a 331 its a better motor. I was told that its only bad if u go with the 5.4 rods ill be going with the 5.315 rods.

Third if do go 347 i was thinkin about doing a sportsman block, with afr 185 heads, then a track heat intake mani, prolly a cam from comp cams. Now if i do this will this be a good setup and also what do u guys think would be a good set of H or I beams and pistons to use in this setup? Thanx for any info on this topic im new to the pushrod based motors so hopefully i dont sound stupid lol

S351R13

Established Member
You have to change the engine harness and the computer. You may have to change the entire engine bay harness. I'm not totally sure on that though. Its best if you get a wrecked 94-5 GT car and swap everything. You can go with the 347 as CHP has a set-up that takes care of the oiling issue. I would go with a decent set of eagle or scat H-beams and some probe or JE pistons. If you need any parts for this let me know. Just a heads up...you might consider installing a 351w. With what you are starting with it would cost close to the same.

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
OK, dont want to be a thread stealer, but shit man, put up some pics of the S351R. Ive wanted one of those for so long. Ive seen one in my life and it was incredible. Went flying past me on the highway. I didnt know that they made them in 96 tho...did you swap motors and put on the body parts? You have a badass collection.

As for the thread....go 351W like S351 said. Might as well go all out, only difference would be getting a new hood. 351 blocks are cheap too.

S351R...what parts can you get? You have any hookups on built 331's?

Blacksunshine

Established Member
347's don't have the famed oil burning problem like they used to. They took care of it. As far as the life of the motor. Don't expect a 347 to last a while. 331 is the best in my eyes. Nothin better than rollin out and beatin all the 351 boys with a measly 302. :D As far as the harness and everything you would need of course the injector harness, ECU harness, mass air harness, ECU, A9L would be the best choice. I have almost the same engine setup you are talking about. Take a look in the Mustangs forum section on this site. I just posted pictures of it. You would need at least a 30# injector. I kept my motor a 306 and with the compression I am looking at right around 370-375 to the wheels. Which is all I want for a street car everyday driver with leather and A/C. Hardest part will be aquiring stupid parts like stock mass air electronics if you will be using C&L mass air meter, timing chain cover, and the bolts are always hard to find for it. Think about getting a different tranny. Tremec 3550's are great. It's what I have. As far as the rods go, that should be sized when the engine is built and balanced and measured up. In my opinion I would stick with a 331. If ya have any other questions feel free to shoot.

Users who are viewing this thread