Motor Trend [ june 2003 ] Speeding Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

[iSEPIC]

Damn Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
I just got the new Motor Trend in, where they compare the Mosler MT900 Photon, Viper, Benz CL55AMG, Jag XKR, Lambo Mucrielago, Z06, 03 Cobra, Ferrari 575M, and the Mitsu Evo... Wanted to share some scans of the performance testing they did between the cars...
( edited to fix yahoo crap linking problems )

mt1.jpg

mt2.jpg

mt3.jpg

mt4.jpg

mt5.jpg

Last edited:

[iSEPIC]

Damn Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by Got-Cobra?
Performance per dollar?

Oh wait we already know that!:thumbsup:

Well, acording to the article, and their "driving skills", the Cobra got [email protected], and the Mitsu Evo got [email protected] and the Cobra is 34,750 (as we all know), and the Mitsu Evo is 30,062, outhandles (Slalom 65.4mph Cobra, 71.4mph Evo), and outbrakes (60-0 116t Cobra, 106ft Evo) the Cobra.

Got-Cobra?

Established Member
Originally posted by [iSEPIC]
Well, acording to the article, and their "driving skills", the Cobra got [email protected], and the Mitsu Evo got [email protected] and the Cobra is 34,750 (as we all know), and the Mitsu Evo is 30,062, outhandles (Slalom 65.4mph Cobra, 71.4mph Evo), and outbrakes (60-0 116t Cobra, 106ft Evo) the Cobra.

And everyone knows that Magazine editors(I.E. MotorTrend, Road & Track, Car & Driver, etc.) couldn't drive to save there life!

Do I even have to go there? Come on guys!:cuss:

TruBlu03

As much as I hate to I may actually have to purcahse the mag. Is nice to see the Cobra mixed in with such a group. You know, the Evo could be half the money and just as fast or faster than the Cobra and I still wouldn't like it. It's just not my kinda car. It's also amazing to note that the Cobra is the only vehicle in the tests with such an old chassis. I for one think Ford should be praised for the engineering genious to make such an old chassis perform as well as it does, the mags will NEVER EVER say that though. They only seem to like newly designed stuff. Not to mention it can easily be made much better.

Looks to be a good article and really makes me want to see the same comparison but with a mod'd Cobra, pulley, chip, CAI, x-pipe, cat-back, subframe connectors, shifter and strut tower brace. We all know the Cobra would have better nubmers but I would like to see how much better. Factor the cost into the overall price and see where were at.

Damn, gets me excited just thinking about it!

rskdsk

Established Member
HAVE any of you ever driven an EVO??? THEY simple suck!! How the driver got low 13's is a fricken mystery. I tried launching the car as high as 5000 rpms and could not get any better than 13.9. They feel slow!! And how do you get a 13.1 with a cobra .... by launching it at 5000 rpms ... I can granny shift and ease the clutch and get a 12.9. The trap speed tells the story for the cobra, it is obvious that the driver can not launch! I admit our cobras are not the lastest and greatest for gadgets and interior prettness, but do not knock the underrated 390hp 390tq rice eaten, gm killen, engine ...

03blackvert

Established Member
This article is really good, and considering the company the Cobra does quite well. 1MPH slower in the salom than a Ferrari 575, or Lamborghini. Ok, so it's not first but for a couple hundred grand less that's ok. :lol:

I only have one problem with this article. They make a big deal about removing the speed limiters for high speed runs in Mercedes and in the L, but they don't remove it for the Cobra or the Jag! Sounds like they didn't even ask. What's up with that?

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Originally posted by [iSEPIC]

Well, even so, that won't help it out in the one area that matters most to me: It's a foreign car - period. I simply wouldn't have it, or the ferrari, lambo, mercedes, or beemer.
An EVO will never be an American Icon. In 2 years they will probably be selling used for half what a new one costs, with no hope of actually reaching a point where they begin to appreciate in value again.

Sorry for the rant...

Might hafta pick up MT and check it out for myself,

[iSEPIC]

Damn Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
sorry guys, the YAHOO and GEOCITIES crap failed me after 24 hours. But I moved the pics, its SLOWER but now you can see the pics again. If not, check them out at www.briefcase.isepic.com and click on 2003 Cobra, they are in there mixed with pics of my cobra. -CHRiS

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
why did they test the mosler? All though its legal to drive on the street, I don't really consider that a street car.

ZXnVS

Established Member
The Evo quicker from 0-60 than a Cobra? These guys ought to be sued for slander. What a load of crap! I don't care if it is AWD, only an amputee couldn't get to 60 faster in a Cobra than an Evo...

msp282

I sell crack
Established Member
weeeee... I have both an Evo and Cobra. :)

the Evo is all stock but the Cobra has a few mods. (see signature)

Anyway..... the beauty of the Evo is that it will launch well on any road surface. The cobra spins a fair amount on my local streets due to dirt, cinders, etc..... At the drag strip the cobra hooked up well enough to run a 2.0 60' time, but I would imagine on the street that would be significantly slower.

Anyway..... to each their own, but I would bet the Evo and Cobra are about even in most street races stock vs stock. Clearly by the end of a ¼ mile the Cobra is going way faster but who the hell races to 110mph?

rskdsk

Established Member
I raced many EVO, and I have a friend in FT latderdale that works at the EVO dealer. We have taken the EVO many times and it is NOT EVEN CLOSE!!! These guys at motor trend must have got thier numbers mix up because every other mag out can not break into the 4 second area from 0-60 and they got what .... a 4.59!!! Even at a 5000K launch you can not do that. I could probably live with the rest of the results (even though the Z06 #'s are very generous)in this test, but come-on, lets be real.

rskdsk

Established Member
MSP282. You obviously can not drive your cobra! I will give the EVO credit in the handeling and braking department, but I would love to see you keep up with me on the street with your 32k ricer mobile! I have come into many many EVO ... absolutley not competion!!

magnum4000

Established Member
This being the first time hearing of the Evolution, I just went and checked it out, and all I can say is :xpl:

Holy crap is that an ugly machine or what? There is no way in HELL I could drive that car, even if it was faster than my cobra. What a POS. It's not an American muscle car, it's not a sports car, and doesn't even deserve comparison.

Oops, here I go again! :xpl:

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
lets not go that far, it does have a turbo and will have some potential for mods. Lets not be like some of the drivers of the higher imports (supra, NSX, skyline...ect) and think that if its american its crap. The new subaru STI and evo with some mods and 400hp would be very fast and a good "sleeper" car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread