Motorcycle people: how much coverage?

carnut101

Established Member
I'm shopping around for motorcycle insurance. I've never owned any car that didn't have 100k/300k coverage, and I was thinking I'd get the same for the bike. Quite a few agents/brokers have suggested going with 50/100 or even the minimum. Is this the norm for motorcycles? Their reasoning is that a bike causes less damage than a car, but I figure 500lbs at speed with a smaller area of contact can still cause quite a bit of damage or injury to someone in a car.

tistan

Established Member
If you do more damage to another vehicle than the minimum coverage covers, you are probably dead. When I had a bike, I carried minimum liability with uninsured motorist with $10k in medical on me. That way it would cover anything my health insurance didn't. The last time I renewed before I stopped riding, the insurance company wouldn't renew the medical part of my coverage. I don't know if it still can be done, or if it depends on what company you are with.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I've got bodily injury/property damage liability, $500 ded. comprehensive, $1000 ded. collision. and underinsured motorist BI and PD. Don't know what my limits are though, I need to look them up.

DEVIL

Established Member
I carry full coverage on ALL my vehicles, and have the limits raised for liability and medical. It's only a few dollars more, and if you need it once, it was worth it. Had a young girl pull out in front of me a mile from the house tonight, locked up the back tire. Her eyes got real big when she realized a Harley was headed for her door. At least she didn't panic, and kept moving.

Users who are viewing this thread