Motorcycle ticket in NC have questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron427

Established Member
I was pulled over on the Blue Ridge Parkway by a Forest Ranger. He gave me a ticket for passing on a double yellow line. Bus in front of me doing like 30mph. Anyways he wrote me up for the passing and no motorcycle license. He said I could mail the payment in on the passing and it would not go on my insurance. Is that right? They are mailing me the ticket for no license what should I expect? What steps should I take? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Lawman85

Banned
#1. Get a motorcycle license if your riding a motorcycle.
#2. The double yellow line means "no passing" in every state.....so, don't pass when there is a double yellow line..

In Ga, passing in a no passing zone is a moving violation just like speeding. I'm not sure how they would keep it off of your driving record.

aaron427

Established Member
Lawman85 said:
#1. Get a motorcycle license if your riding a motorcycle.
#2. The double yellow line means "no passing" in every state.....so, don't pass when there is a double yellow line..

In Ga, passing in a no passing zone is a moving violation just like speeding. I'm not sure how they would keep it off of your driving record.
it isn't state property. It is government property big difference.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
aaron427 said:
it isn't state property. It is government property big difference.

Are you saying it is a Federal Park? If so the officer that pulled you over is a Federal Law Enforcement Officer and he will enforce the laws set by the state he is in!

So both of your tickets are valid by your own admission. What you should do, is wait for the last ticket to come in the mail and follow the instructions with the ticket. There should also be a phone number on the ticket that you can call.

If by saying "government property" you mean it belongs to the state, then the same rules still apply.

BTW, what do you think the "big difference" is?

numbaonestunna

Established Member
weird...

aaron427 said:
I was pulled over on the Blue Ridge Parkway by a Forest Ranger. He gave me a ticket for passing on a double yellow line. Bus in front of me doing like 30mph. Anyways he wrote me up for the passing and no motorcycle license. He said I could mail the payment in on the passing and it would not go on my insurance. Is that right? They are mailing me the ticket for no license what should I expect? What steps should I take? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I thought in CA, its legal to pass in the same lane. You wouldn't be going over the the double yellow (since you're in the same lane). I guess this question is for mswaim (I think he's CA LEO)... I have my cycle endorsement, but didn't get it in CA, so I'm not positive on this though.

aaron427

Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
Are you saying it is a Federal Park? If so the officer that pulled you over is a Federal Law Enforcement Officer and he will enforce the laws set by the state he is in!

So both of your tickets are valid by your own admission. What you should do, is wait for the last ticket to come in the mail and follow the instructions with the ticket. There should also be a phone number on the ticket that you can call.

If by saying "government property" you mean it belongs to the state, then the same rules still apply.

BTW, what do you think the "big difference" is?
I am assuming they use the same laws, but you have to go to federal court instead of like the county/city court. Also they usually do not get involved with state issues. I don't really understand it all either. I am trying to figure it out myself. I have been told by others to be very careful when on Federal turf, but I don't know why it would be different.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
It sounds like he actually crossed over the double line, if so it is a moving violation here in California. If the bus was far enough to the right and he was able to pass by without crossing the double line then he would be okay - not very smart, but okay in the eyes of the vehicle code. Always remember the "wheels rules" - four wheels beats two and on up from there. No matter what, motorcycles are at the mercy of the motoring public.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
aaron427 said:
I am assuming they use the same laws, but you have to go to federal court instead of like the county/city court. Also they usually do not get involved with state issues. I don't really understand it all either. I am trying to figure it out myself. I have been told by others to be very careful when on Federal turf, but I don't know why it would be different.

They will often enforce the state traffic laws on Federal Land. Often time they will also be given a local citation book to fill out tickets from. It all depends on their location.

Be more careful on Federal Grounds because then Federal Law applies as opposed to the state or local law and the AUSA prosecutes and not a local D.A. who can be easily bargained with.

charged98cobra

Legal gru
Established Member
aaron427 said:

Passing ticket not on your license? :lol: I would double check by calling the courthouse.

aaron427

Established Member
charged98cobra said:
Passing ticket not on your license? :lol: I would double check by calling the courthouse.
he said if you pay this within 7-10 days it will not go on your insurance. Are you sure???? He said positive. Didn't make since to either. I will figure it out hopefully. I am not real concerned with it. I now have my liscense. I had just got my bike back together, and had the car apart and had to go get something so I didnt' have a choice. We will see

numbaonestunna

Established Member
completely agree...

mswaim said:
It sounds like he actually crossed over the double line, if so it is a moving violation here in California. If the bus was far enough to the right and he was able to pass by without crossing the double line then he would be okay - not very smart, but okay in the eyes of the vehicle code. Always remember the "wheels rules" - four wheels beats two and on up from there. No matter what, motorcycles are at the mercy of the motoring public.

I've always wondered about that law too... you may "win" in that you're not doing anything illegal, but you definitely could "lose" to the 6 ton bus! I've never pass in the same lane of an SUV or bus... too much risk that they flatten me like a pancake!

WraithCobra

Don't want a GT500
Established Member
I received a citation for driving over the limit on federal park property, in MD by a park police officer with radar. (72 in a 50) The ticket belonged to an SUV that passed me as I had just merged onto the road and I know I had my cruise set to 55. The officer didn't see or wouldn't admit to seeing the SUV, but when asked said I was "the one in a sports car". We didn't get along very well during that meeting, so I went home and over the next few day prepared for court (federal).
On the court date we were both in better moods when we met along with the prosecutor before court. I explained to him again how I had just merged onto the road and had set my cruse to 55 as I saw him just up the road. He admitted that he had gotten a quick reading of 53 before the 72 and may have been mistaken. He allowed the prosecutor to reduce it to a 53 in a 50, which I accepted since I admitted to 55 in a 50 and I paid my dues. Wrong time, wrong place as they say.
Which brings me to the point, the prosecutor said that small violations like this (less than 10 over) are never reported to the state unless other violations (weapons, drugs) are also written. The citation has never shown up on my MD driving record nor reported to my insurance.

charged98cobra

Legal gru
Established Member
charged98cobra said:

Shit! I forgot that it was by a park ranger, somehow over looked that one... He is correct, you will only be fined, and it will not go on your ins./ lisc :D Im about 95% positive on this

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
charged98cobra said:
Shit! I forgot that it was by a park ranger, somehow over looked that one... He is correct, you will only be fined, and it will not go on your ins./ lisc :D Im about 95% positive on this

Don't bet the farm on this one buddy. I worked on federal property in VA for 20 years. in the mid 90s I got a ticket for allegedly running a stop sign in the PARKING LOT .. I went to court to fight it, was assured it would not show up on my drivers license so plead out (I was working nights at the time and was dead tired, didn't want to spend the day in court) and lo and behold a couple of months later I pulled my VA driving record and there it was big as life.

I am not saying your will or won't ... I am saying that the fact that you got it on federal property has little to do with whether or not it does.

charged98cobra

Legal gru
Established Member
RDJ said:
Don't bet the farm on this one buddy. I worked on federal property in VA for 20 years. in the mid 90s I got a ticket for allegedly running a stop sign in the PARKING LOT .. I went to court to fight it, was assured it would not show up on my drivers license so plead out (I was working nights at the time and was dead tired, didn't want to spend the day in court) and lo and behold a couple of months later I pulled my VA driving record and there it was big as life.

I am not saying your will or won't ... I am saying that the fact that you got it on federal property has little to do with whether or not it does.

If that is the case, I would make sure that I went and fought it, fighting the ticket will most always get you some relief.

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
If anything, just be sure you do something within 10 calendar days...don't let your time run out otherwise you'll be forced to do what you really don't want to do...federal court.

GitDat

Established Member
I found this article online while doing a search and found it rather interesting.

No clear rule on passing on double yellow

I just got pulled over this morning for passing on a double yellow. The only thing is the cop wasn't there to witness it! He said that they got a "couple" calls complaining about me doing this. From the time I did it to the time he pulled me over was the span of about 4 minutes. How the heck does the process of two people calling in to getting a response out of a patrol car to pull me over in FOUR minutes! Although it was a double yellow I was able to see far enough up the road to know that it was safe to pass. I was in my slow 4-banger so I always have to make sure I have plenty enough of visible road to pass. The cop wrote me a ticket for "reckless driving" based on phone calls! Is there anything I can do when I go to now "criminal" court for this passing on a double yellow? :nonono:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread