Motorcycles

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
They are two entirely different animals. The similarities stop past "they both have two wheels".
If you are debating which to get and want someone to sway your opinion, I won't fill that void. I will tell you that you will be safer on a cruiser than a sportbike as a rule of thumb. Not because sportbikes are inherently more dangerous, but because too many people reach up and turn off their brain when they climb onboard a sportbike. Even today's 600cc sportbikes will run 10's in the quarter mile and just a twist of the throttle in the first couple gears will have you staring at only sky (then on your ass if you don't know how to control it).

If you want a starter sportbike, i'd definitely recommend a suzuki sv-650 or 650s. Also, kawasaki makes a good & relatively user friendly bike called the ninja 500r I believe. Although the looks on the suzuki are getting a bit dated & the aesthetics of the kawasaki are marginal (imo), I will tell you that if you are getting into this hobby & placing importance on other people's opinions you should just walk away.

Whatever you ride, wear your gear. Always. Here is a shot of my buddy's back after his recent accident. A car pulled out in front of him and he broadsided it. The mark on his back, as best they could figure, is from the car's windshield wiper as he slid across. His alpinestars jacket pulled up during the impact & exposed his skin. He got this as well as a concussion. He doesn't remember what happened before, during, and immediately after the accident. He barely remembers turning onto that street seven blocks earlier.

krisback.jpg

and for what it's worth, he's not just a retard squid on a bike. The guy has been doing track days for a couple years and last year raced CCS (unlimited class I believe) on his 04 r1. He says as bad as this looks, if it weren't for all his gear he'd be dead considering it actually cracked his shoei x-11 helmet.

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I used to be into street bikes a couple years ago and almost bought an R6, but realized how retarded that would have been. 1. They're just too fast for my own good and 2. Everyone has one.

I'm still looking into a bike but I want something more fun and rare like a Speed Triple or the new KTM 990 SD. A couple of my friends just bought some KTM 450s. They're both street legal but one is the Supermoto version that has a street tire on it, and it's one bad bike! We were cruising and he couldnt keep the front tire down in 4th gear, the thing is a monster!

These bikes just look like so much more fun to ride around than the everyday streetbike. But if I had to get a crotch-rocket it would definately be a 675.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
triumph really got it right with that 675. iirc, it won motorcyclist magazine sportbike of the year after its introduction. definitely a good machine, only downside may be finding parts or service but if you have a dealer near you the 675 is a damn good choice.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Around here the majority of the Harley riders are laid back cruisers looking to spend an uneventful relaxing day just cruising around. On the other hand, the majority of the crotch rocket crowd are crazy risk takers looking for any thing to race on a Saturday afternoon.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
Mr. Mach-ete said:
Around here the majority of the Harley riders are laid back cruisers looking to spend an uneventful relaxing day just cruising around. On the other hand, the majority of the crotch rocket crowd are crazy risk takers looking for any thing to race on a Saturday afternoon.

thats because harleys can barely get out of their own way. if noise production is a selling quality, hd has it all the way. if you want something that is more than loud, cumbersome, & adorned with way too much chrome to compliment the underpowered engine & overwhelmed brakes, you could look into some of the sport cruisers like the suzuki m109r or the yamaha warrior.

SvtCobra581

Mr. Mach-ete said:

i definitely wont be one of those risk takers. But im not going to deny that i probably wont do a few small wheelies once i good at riding the bike. I still havn't decided what kind of bike i want to get, i love the looks and power of a sport bike and the idea of cruising down backroads. My dad has a Harley davidson 1200 sportster, so it would be a fun if i got like a honda shadow and cruised with him. I have no experience with motorcycles, except for a dirt bike that i had when i was in middle school.

Anyone have any recommendations of some cruisers that are priced under 7K except for the honda shadow.

timpryor

Turbo'd ST
Established Member
HD = The best and easiest way to turn gasoline into noise without the pesky side effect of horsepower

i personally like sportier bikes, my 03 katana 600 is a GREAT bike to learn on and i will upgrade when i feel i can handle a faster bike.

IMO buy a older 600 sport bike if you want a sportbike, i.e. like 95-00 gixxer, yzf600R(NOT R6), CBR F4i, katana ect, if you even think of 900+ cc's as a starter bike i will slap you

SvtCobra581

there's no way in hell ill get a 900 for my first bike. It would definitely be a 600. Ill be using the bike a lot traveling to and from school and back and forth from work. Then cruising on the weekends so i wont be looking for a newer bike considering ill be putting a lot of miles on it. As of right now ive never ridden a sport bike, do they feel similar at all as a dirt bike or cruiser.

snake134

the picture was not neccesary....anyone with brains should understand that you shouldn't be getting a 600 for you first bike...there are just a lot of idiots in the world

stangd1909

GO NOLES
Established Member
Dam I am also intrested in getting my first bike. I went to the dealer to look at a GSXR 600 today. It is an awesome bike....but the saleman was telling me that I am to big for a 600? I am 6'0 250...he was telling me that need the 750 or 1000. I have never been on a bike before, so I am really looking foward to it.

Whizzle

Established Member
stangd1909 said:
Dam I am also intrested in getting my first bike. I went to the dealer to look at a GSXR 600 today. It is an awesome bike....but the saleman was telling me that I am to big for a 600? I am 6'0 250...he was telling me that need the 750 or 1000. I have never been on a bike before, so I am really looking foward to it.

A 600 is the optimal starter bike, regardless the size of the rider (in most cases). The salesman is just trying to make some more money

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
Punch the salesman in the face. The new gsx-r 1000 is an amazing machine, but absolutely too much for a new rider. I am 6' and at one point weighed ~220lbs and still had an absolute blast on my 03 r6. Learning is what your first bike is about.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
snake134 said:
the picture was not neccesary....anyone with brains should understand that you shouldn't be getting a 600 for you first bike...there are just a lot of idiots in the world
actually, it was very necessary IMO. Some people truly don't understand how badly even a small accident can hurt you. If you get into a wreck on two wheels, you lose. Period.

03cobrablack

Where is the KABOOM ????
Established Member
I rode sport bikes for over 12 years, and I still love them, but they just got to hard on my back and wrists (more so on long rides), but I wasn't (and probably never will be) ready to do the Harly thing. So I got a Vmax, the best compromise (IMO) between a cruiser and a sport bike. The Yamaha FZ6 and similiar bikes from Kawasaki (they accually have quite a few good "starter" bikes) and Suzuki (the SV line) and Honda (like the 599) are good "in between bikes as well" plus they have "detuned" motors from the sport bikes they are based on, so they offer a little room to grow as your skills improve...

Last edited:

DEVIL

Established Member
I have ridden HD full dressers for a long time, my current ride has 82k. No major work other than performance parts. If you plan on travelling on it that's a good way to go. Comfy and dependable, decent mileage. Easy to get fixed if it did break. Places to put anything. I have also had "sport" bike style Triumph and Laverda. Great for local fast cruises. Never had a rice bike.

Users who are viewing this thread