MotorTrend - Dyno Battle: GT350, GT350R, and Z/28

ElCoyote

Lord SVT Contributor
Established Member
Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Weren't the GT350Rs lapping a full second faster than the Z/28 and right on par with the GT3?

Reading both those articles was painful. The magazine article was a bunch of blabber about basically nothing. It provided no real evidence of anything but an attempt to keep the Z/28 relevant. Why not wait until yo can actually compare them? The other link was a take off of the MT article which didnt provide bad numbers but I wouldn't say it was official compared to how they usually test.

Last edited:

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
Weren't the GT350Rs lapping a full second faster than the Z/28 and right on par with the GT3?

Reading both those articles was painful. The magazine article was a bunch of blabber about basically nothing. It provided no real evidence of anything but an attempt to keep the Z/28 relevant. Why not wait until yo can actually compare them? The other link was a take off of the MT article which didnt provide bad numbers but I wouldn't say it was official compared to how they usually test.

it lapped a certain track within 010 of a 991 GT3 which is a PDK car. the GT350R will be markedly faster than the Z28 around any track.

rwboring

Established Member
It ain't a narrow margin. The "over a second" gap was at a short track.

Isn't that the truth... I recall all the "ZL1 beats the GT500's ass around a track" and MT got .5 seconds faster around Laguna with it. Brilliant!!!

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Lol... is a little sad the the latest and greatest from Ford is just barely able to match up the power of such an old engine from GM. Not to mention that anemic torque deficit.

The 350 will fall victim to the Z28 and the R version is only stepping on the territory that the Z28 has been wrecking for the past 2 years.

jtfx6552

Established Member
Lol... is a little sad the the latest and greatest from Ford is just barely able to match up the power of such an old engine from GM. Not to mention that anemic torque deficit.

The 350 will fall victim to the Z28 and the R version is only stepping on the territory that the Z28 has been wrecking for the past 2 years.

The Z28 gets the majority of it's performance from the tires. Both versions of the GT350 have a much more street oriented tire.

edit: And other than it's propensity to drop valves, the LS7 is still Chevy's best engine ever.

Last edited:

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
The Z28 gets the majority of it's performance from the tires. With versions of the GT350 have a much more street oriented tire.

Ohh here we go with the excuses... Lol...

350 gets the majority of its performance from the 3 extra cams and extra 16v...

350r gets the manority of its performance from the extremely light carbon fiber wheels...

Blah blah..

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.

350r gets the manority of its performance from the extremely light carbon fiber wheels...

Blah blah..

Amazing how much more car you can get for $12 grand less too.

jtfx6552

Established Member

Blah blah..

Seems like the Fords keep their valves in place, lol.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member

Kudos, GM's $75k Camaro they can't give away for $60k is barely faster than a $50k Mustang, and gets obliterated by a $60k Mustang.

When the two get compared, get some tissues prepared, because it's not pretty.

rwboring

Established Member

It is also 10 grand cheaper, for the R... not to mention the base 350...

I also love your statement because the GT500 was out HOW many years before the ZL1? The boss was out how many years before the Z28? It is easy to do better when you have a bar set for you.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Ill give you guys that, the only real accomplishment from ford here, is the INCREDIBLE value and price point to the 350s.

No doubt that the 350s are a SERIOUS bang for your buck. FORD always has been the best in this arena.

350s are bad ****ing ass! No doubt about that...

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Anybody want a Z28 I'll go buy you one at auction. GM dealers are dumping them for about $50k even with no miles since they can't sell them.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Anybody want a Z28 I'll go buy you one at auction. GM dealers are dumping them for about $50k even with no miles since they can't sell them.

My chevy buddy and I considered this, then sell the brakes off of it for 20K and add a set of brembo steelies.

It would be a much more affordable car to track and you could be in one for $40k.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
My chevy buddy and I considered this, then sell the brakes off of it for 20K and add a set of brembo steelies.

It would be a much more affordable car to track and you could be in one for $40k.

And you could participate in the class action lawsuit over the LS7.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Kudos, GM's $75k Camaro they can't give away for $60k is barely faster than a $50k Mustang, and gets obliterated by a $60k Mustang.

When the two get compared, get some tissues prepared, because it's not pretty.

Ha ha, please do show me some testing and data to back those statements up. Ill be the first to say "DAMN, Z28 got knocked the hell out!"

The irony is that, although Ford priced their 350s very appropriately, the mark ups and dealers greed will make it next to impossible to buy one for MSRP.

I'll say this, put your money were your mouth is and please show me where I can actually buy a 350 for MSRP and I will get rid of my mullet and buy the 350.

rwboring

Established Member

holy hell i just saw a new one for 55,998 on autotrader... that is 20k under sticker...
its amazing that ford dealers are marking up performance mustangs and GM dealers mark camaros down

Users who are viewing this thread