MotorTrend says the Boss gets the green and has a 5.0!

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
hm.. from the article 390 HP 5.0 sounds pretty good. And im guessing the Boss 302 will be available in 2008? or 2009? I just want to see how its going to look. If the Mustang gt is around $30, and GT500 will be 43( in a few years) im guessing the Boss is going to be 35-37? I rather have a used GT500 then. But i'll believe a Boss 302 once i see it in production.

just my .02 cent

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
the boss is said to be an 08'MY car(come out next year), since the stang is supposed to get a full body redesign(every panel except the roof, they say it will have a little more modern/little less retro look) for the 09'MY(2008).

motortrend says that it will be an alloy-block, naturally aspirated V8 stemming from the modular engine architecture. if im not mistaken, the cammer has an aluminum block doesnt it? and we know its a MOD motor. i would think that it would be cheaper to make the cammer pass durability/emissions, than it would for ford to make a complete new engine block/casting. not to mention, i would think that ford would rather modify an aluminum 4.6 for 390 horses instead of creating a whole new engine. just my thoughts, although this is still up in the air.

yea, it says in the link that the car pictured isnt a prototype or anything, but someones(evidentally the dudes in your link) modified GT.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Looking forward to seeing the BOSS.... and the new updated beyond-retro look sometime later. I thought the Cammer motor had some fundamental issues that would make it very difficult to ever get it past the DD durability issues. I've been trying to figure if and how Ford was going to develop a new, bigger aluminum V8 for the 'Stang. Will the bigger Hurricane motor ( I hear iron block??) be available anytime soon and would it fit the new platform? Maybe in an N/A BOSS?

YELOSNK

Established Member
CobraRed01 said:
Will the bigger Hurricane motor ( I hear iron block??) be available anytime soon and would it fit the new platform? Maybe in an N/A BOSS?

Isn't the Hurricane 6.2L? I can't imagine they would put that in a Mustang.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Geez, I wouldn't want a 6.2L in my Mustang...would you? LOL. You may be right...I know there was talk about the new Hurricane possibly going in the Mustang. Wasn't sure if that concept had moved forward at all.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
CobraRed01 said:
Geez, I wouldn't want a 6.2L in my Mustang...would you?

You might be the only one. I would love to see a new Stang with a 6.2l making around 450 hp N/A. Imagine all that HP with a fat torque curve also. Ford needs to drop a bigger motor in the Stang or it's going to be blown away by the upcoming Camaro and Challenger.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
CY98Cobra said:
You might be the only one. I would love to see a new Stang with a 6.2l making around 450 hp N/A. Imagine all that HP with a fat torque curve also. Ford needs to drop a bigger motor in the Stang or it's going to be blown away by the upcoming Camaro and Challenger.

I hope you caught my sarcasm. Of course I'd love to see a Monster Motor in the new Mustang!!! And I'm with you... 450HP N/A...with forged internals for the big HP F/I modders. Wooo baby!!

Maybe I was wrong, but I thought there was talk about the Hurricane as Ford's eventual answer to the larger LS and Hemi motors...no? I know it's going to be an iron truck motor for starters, but could they do it in aluminum? I'm not use sure how Ford is going to continue to do F/I on the smaller motors and still meet MPG requirements down the pike. How do you do F/I and do the "cylinders-on-demand thing" like the "other guys"??? I figure more cubes and N/A would be requirement if you want good HP AND good mileage. Mileage on the GT 500 ain't pretty for sure. Thoughts?

Black93Cobra

Established Member
I would surmise that Ford will offer a "cylinder on demand" option in the near future for their larger displacement V8 engine, both GM and DC offer it now.

My take on the Boss is Ford should offer two Boss models:

1. Boss 302: 400 hp N/A 5.0L, 6 spd, 3,400 lb Curb Weight, Suspension and Braking set up for Road Course use, Styled identically to the PJ Saleen Mustang
  2. Boss 351: 5.8L Hurricane Engine - 475 hp N/A min, 6 spd etc. - bascially a replacement for the GT500, set to be introduced in the restyled 2010 Mustang

Thoughts?

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Black93Cobra said:
I would surmise that Ford will offer a "cylinder on demand" option in the near future for their larger displacement V8 engine, both GM and DC offer it now.

My take on the Boss is Ford should offer two Boss models:

1. Boss 302: 400 hp N/A 5.0L, 6 spd, 3,400 lb Curb Weight, Suspension and Braking set up for Road Course use, Styled identically to the PJ Saleen Mustang
  2. Boss 351: 5.8L Hurricane Engine - 475 hp N/A min, 6 spd etc. - bascially a replacement for the GT500, set to be introduced in the restyled 2010 Mustang

Thoughts?

Now y'er talkin!! But, I think the BOSS should look like the GT-R Concept....
like so...
mustanggtr04.jpg
. OK, maybe lose the wing. Note the Shelby-like front end...a requirement as far as I'm concerned. But, I look forward to the re-design...hopefully even meaner.

BTW... a gentleman had a mint 1970 BOSS 302 at E-town here in Jersey two weeks ago.... primo ... almost the same color as shown here, but more original BOSS butterscotch orange. Outstanding.

Can the Hurricane motor be adapted to aluminum??? Right now, it's gonne be iron.

love bandit2

Established Member
very very cool... I'm even more looking forward to seeing the redesign of the body... Redsigning everything but the roof? Its like deja vu all over again. It sounds like the 05-08 mustangs might be the bastard step children like the SN95's are. I'm already extremely sick of the current body design. I don't ever remember feeling this way about the 99-04's.

Users who are viewing this thread