Mount Air Filter Directly to Vortech

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
Hey guys,

I was just curious about mounting my K&N air filter directly to my Vortech V2 S-Trim. I've seen a few other cars around doing this, most of them on Prochargers I believe and I think this might be a good way to clean up the engine bay a bit.

I have a lot of questions about it, but besides the overall issue of if it is possible, the secondary questions become how it will change the mounting of my Lightning maf and air flow in general to the filter. Of course, this is all given that there is enough room for the filter to fit there. Right now I'm just using the standard Vortech supplied plumbing, but figured this would work much better than an AFM powerpipe. That said, I do have the Vortech Aftercooler, so I'm not sure how that fits into the equation. Would I still need an intake down in the fender?

Any help would be appreciated. Here's a pic of current engine bay.
enginebay.jpg

Here's sort of what I was wanting it to look like - found the pic on google images.

015xai.jpg

SVTPete83

Established Member
You would need to have a blow through setup to do it and with an after cooler I don't really think its possible. The maf would have to be post after cooler as well as your bov. Not a lot of room to do that and make it look good.

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
I was kind of leaning to that being the answer. That said, is anyone aware of a better intake pipe than the plastic one leading into the blower? I've been looking at some AFM powerpipes, but unless I'm missing something they all seem to be designed to go from filter up to the throttle body.

Stanger00

Established Member
There are a lot of us running power pipes on our Vortechs. I have a modular powerhouse 4" power pipe. You can probably still buy one from them at Mr Norms garage. Send Tim Barth a email.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I was kind of leaning to that being the answer. That said, is anyone aware of a better intake pipe than the plastic one leading into the blower? I've been looking at some AFM powerpipes, but unless I'm missing something they all seem to be designed to go from filter up to the throttle body.

You need to find the model for the blowers. I had an AFM pipe on my Procharger for a while. To be honest it might be worth looking into making your own.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

dwtjr3

Established Member
Someone vorrect me if i am wrong, but would this increas IAT's some?

Because I could imagine pulling air in from the enigne would be warmer then pulling air in from in the fender?

Or would it not be enough to make a difference?

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
Thanks for the replies, I'll probably end up either buying the powerpipe or having one fabricated. Originally cleaning up the engine bay was going to be this winter's project; however, it now sounds like we have foundation repairs to do on the house.

Anyways, I've just never liked the way the plastic looked and wanted to get rid of some of the piping that looks messy to me if it was possible.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Someone vorrect me if i am wrong, but would this increas IAT's some?

Because I could imagine pulling air in from the enigne would be warmer then pulling air in from in the fender?

Or would it not be enough to make a difference?

With the aftercooler in place it'll cool down the warmer air. If it's even noticably warmer.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread