Moving for job?

_Snake_

Established Member
Done this a few times and there's not a standard answer. The company will want you there ASAP, but anyone worth working for will understand that you and your family need some time to relocate. One thing I haven't seen mentioned - you need to find a place to live in your new town.

spectreman

Established Member
Lot of good advice here. Allow me my 2 cents.

I relocated about 3 years back. Thankfully, it was only a 90 mile move north of the old house. For the first year, my wife & kids stayed put in the old house. I could go home on weekends and emergencies. But this provided us time to research the new area, find the good neighborhoods/schools, traffic patterns, shopping, etc. in the general area.

Then we were able to localize the specific area we wanted. It worked out really well as we found a great area- peaceful, friendly, safe, w/great schools- in an awesome neighborhood. There was just no sense of rush. For that year, I rented and during off hours, I hunted the area, met w/coworkers to get their take, & interviewed a number of realtors until I found one that matched us & the area/house.

Also during that year, it gave my wife time to go thru the old place and clean it out. Lots of stuff got donated to various charities- she really did a great job w/that altho unfortunately, she had to do a lot of it on her own as I was in the new locale. Still, this whittled down a lot of the stuff we had and made packing easier. It was, after all, our first move in 15 years and stuff can really accumulate. Even after we moved, she went thru the stuff again, and found a load more that we donated once in the new house.

This also allowed her to start anew, fresh in the 'new-to-us' house, where she could style, design and resupply w/new furniture as she saw fit. The move was NOT my wife's idea but I got a new job and really had almost no choice but to move. She was a really good sport about it. She loved where we used to live & I don't think she ever planned leaving so I tried to accommodate her as much as possible. This allowed her to make the new house 'hers.' So far, it's worked out really well & I love the area.

Moving, however, is STRESSFUL on everyone, especially on an emotional and psychological level. The most important thing to do is be supportive of each other, watch your temper and BE PATIENT. Did I mention it would be STRESSFUL?

Good luck.
Lee

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
I took am out of state job last year, long drive from San Antonio to Virgina...even longer with 2 dogs, 2 kids, and a wife lol. sell what you don't need or donate it. we left our couches and took what we needed in a big budget truck with the cobra in tow. had some moving help from some good peeps :)
also, when you arrive if you don't have help to unload ask uhaul for a list of movers. we paid $80 for 2 hours and got them to move all the big stuff that was really heavy. it was worth every penny and one less headache I had to worry about.

Led_Zep

Don't tread on me
Established Member
We sold everything when we relocated from WI-AZ. Company paid to ship 1 car, so shipped the lady's car, sold the Mach and took my truck with a uhaul trailer packed full. They gave us 2 weeks from job offer, took 2 days drive.

nxhappy

Established Member
best thing to do: sell your house, move to a temp apartment, THEN find your out of state job, THEN find your new out of state house. This will make things 1 million times easier/smoother....believe me

CV355

_
Established Member
you can negotiate a relocation allowance in your hiring package.
takes a lot of the the stress off your mind so you can focus on the new job and new surroundings.

This.

I wasn't confident enough to ask for this during my last big job change and I sorely regretted it- especially when I see people getting the allowances/assistance ALL the time.

Even when a candidate would have to move 30-40 miles, they still ask for a relocation package.

Can't hurt to ask. As an interviewer and being part of the decision making process, I can honestly say that any time a candidate asks I take it as them being serious about the position.

As other posters have said, you really want to sell off everything you can replace or don't need. I was lucky in a way when I moved, and mother nature decided to sort everything for me. By sort, I mean absolutely destroy. And what was left was stolen. It made moving easy.

Users who are viewing this thread