Moving to Arkansas

Tx5811

Veni, vidi, vici
Established Member
Alright guys well recently I received a pretty good job offer in Arkansas. This job will have plenty of perks and the long term outlook is excellent. Now my problem is that I'm not too sure about Arkansas itself. I love Houston. And I love Texas. So I'm looking for a bit of insight from anyone who lives there and if they can provide me with pros and cons of living in that state or any information that might help my move out. And if anyone here has lived in both states just let me know which one you enjoyed best. I do have a wife and kids that will be coming along with me as well. Any input is appreciated. Thanks guys. Oh and I will be moving near little Rock.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Little rock is not a bad area. I have friends in Conway and used to have family in Maumelle. Be prepared for 1-2 ice storms a year that will shut the entire area down.

Tx5811

Veni, vidi, vici
Established Member
I've actually been looking at Conway or maumelle to live in. Those pretty good areas?

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
From my limited time in both, yes. I would probably look towards Conway before Maumelle. I'm sure someone more local would be able to help you more

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Conway area. You familiar with this area?

I live in Little Rock. I travel to Conway quite a bit from time to time. Conway is a LOT cheaper to live in than Maumelle, that's the only thing it has over Maumelle IMO. We consider Conway a college town since there are 3 Colleges within a 10 mile radius in such a small town. Any specific questions you have I'll answer to the best of my abilities.

If you're willing to travel a bit for work I'd look into the Bryant area, deep West Little Rock is a great area too in the Chanal and Cantrell road area.

snakedoctor

Established Member
Oh man, where do I start? I've lived in Arkansas most of my life. Cost of living is low, but so are the wages. I prefer Texas and have been trying to get out there for a while. If you wanna fit in make sure that the clothes you wear daily consist of camo. If you're gonna live in the Little Rock area, make sure you're as north as you can get. I'm not sure how bad it is now but at one time Little Rock had the worse gang problem in the country. Compared to Houston though, it probably won't be as bad

selbyvince

Established Member
I wouldn't mind living in Arkansas. I make a few trips there a year (about 1.5 hours north of little rock. I live in Conroe, have the majority of my life. Which is just north of Houston. There's no way i would live in Houston, i can hardly stand living in Conroe now that its build up just as much. I have considered moving to Arkansas, but kind of leaning more towards central Texas at this point. Looking for a small town far away from any big cities.

01FR500

HPDE
Established Member
I live in Maumelle, but I work in Maumelle too so it makes sense for me. I went to college and used to live in Conway. If you have kids, live in Conway. I moved out of Conway to Maumelle only because my wife works in Little Rock and I work in Maumelle so the commute for the both of us nearly made up the cost difference of moving closer. Maumelle is nice, but you do pay for it. I got a good deal on my house but the same one in Conway would be $30K cheaper with less taxes. I'm sure there are good places to live in Little Rock but I personally avoid it like the plague. School systems suck from what I hear, apparently charter school are the only way you get an education. Little Rock has all the big city problems with few of the perks. My personal mantra is to live close to work, so depending on where you work, is how I'd pick places to live. I live 2 miles from work and go through one stoplight. **** traffic.

Mayflower, which is between Conway and Maumelle has a couple of nice neighborhoods. It's just kind of out of the way of everything.

Oh, and I used to live in Texas but not a big city so can't really speak to that.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
^Oh yeah, forgot to ask the OP if he has kids. If so definitely look at Conway or Bryant/Benton.

hunterp

Established Member
Little rock is not a bad area. I have friends in Conway and used to have family in Maumelle. Be prepared for 1-2 ice storms a year that will shut the entire area down.

Drove through Arkansas right after one of those. We were in a Mustang and we were one of the few that weren't run off the road. Most of the people stuck were in four wheel drive vehicles and they obviously thought they were invincible because of it.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I grew up in NW Arkansas and absolutely love it. Just not much job opportunity in the nice areas for my career field, so I now live outside KC.

Welcome to the Natural state! Ignore all the outsiders ignorance, you will get alot of it. Outside of a few select shitty areas, AR is an awesome state and really lives up to the name "The natural state". So much natural beauty.

I'd say get a cheapish place to live close to work and begin exploring out in every direction your first year. Then find a place to settle into.

Blakonblak94

Wishin it was SVT
Established Member
I'll second the hunting. I'm in North MS, and there have been some great deer killed this year, even with the weather.

bglf83

Established Member
I grew up in NW Arkansas and absolutely love it. Just not much job opportunity in the nice areas for my career field, so I now live outside KC.

Welcome to the Natural state! Ignore all the outsiders ignorance, you will get alot of it. Outside of a few select shitty areas, AR is an awesome state and really lives up to the name "The natural state". So much natural beauty.

I'd say get a cheapish place to live close to work and begin exploring out in every direction your first year. Then find a place to settle into.
Wife is from Arkansas, I grew up in Texas. The state does have natural beauty, especially compared to Texas.

I would ignore the red neck comments. I do not think people are much different from Texas.

Tx5811

Veni, vidi, vici
Established Member
Damn actually doesn't sound too bad of a place to live. Thanks for the input guys. Guess I will be looking at the Conway area.

Users who are viewing this thread