MPG findings

BlownBayou

The Innovator Has Spoken
Established Member
The first two weeks I had the Contour, I was getting 28.2 - 28.5 MPG out of the car. The mods were the el cheapo CAI and dual Flowmasters out the back. After having ripped out the CAI and replacing it with the stock housing (and paper filter) and putting a single stock like muffler in place of the Flows (resonator location) I was astounded at what the MPG went to........... 31.2 MPG!!!!! This was driving at the same speed (60 MPH) on every trip to work. Seems to me that the dual flowmaster must have been choking the car. I bet I can get 32-33 MPG with the drop in K&N.

What are you guys seeing with your Contours

Later

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
:shrug: I haven't driven mine a long distance in forever. I just started driving it again yesterday.

Bruse Wayne

Pack It Up
Established Member
ive been seeing about 20-24 mpg in the city and i dont even drive it hard :( :rolling:

BlownBayou

The Innovator Has Spoken
Established Member
Bruse Wayne said:
ive been seeing about 20-24 mpg in the city and i dont even drive it hard :( :rolling:

My daily drive is about 130 miles round trip and it is 95% Highway and 5% City

Maybe that is why I am getting a good return on the 'Tour......>That and a fresh motor with about 3000 miles on it might do that too :D :D

Later

stocksvtcontour

Established Member
I get about 24-26 city and stop and go freeway. I get on the car petty hard sometimes so I cannot really complain :banana: . I'm sure with freeway at 60 mph I would be able to achieve over 30 mpg. I only have a k&n drop in air filter for my mods.

Bruse Wayne

Pack It Up
Established Member
BlownBayou said:
My daily drive is about 130 miles round trip and it is 95% Highway and 5% City

Maybe that is why I am getting a good return on the 'Tour......>That and a fresh motor with about 3000 miles on it might do that too :D :D

Later

nice...i love hwy driving but the tour has only seen the hwy a couple times...

The M seems to enjoy triple digit cruising a little bit more

Where did you get the replacement motor? ive been thinking about dropping something a little bigger in mine one day...

Steeltwo

Established Member
i get around 30 on the highway after the cai install
before it'd get a tad less than 30 on the highway.

in town, i shift below 2500 and cruise at less tahn 2k and get around 25 in town with little to no floggin.

but I of course rip out a few redlines every now and again to keep the cats healthy.

smittysawd

Established Member
i was getting 35-38 mpg until i changed my intake mani. gaskets and saw that the secodaries were not opening becuse the throttle piece was off and just sitting there chilling...lol
i may leave it off now that gas is so expencive

wruben

You were getting 35-38 mpg...??? Thats good... I used to get 32 or so but has dropped down to 25 on the freeway.... I am thinking that it is time to gut my cats and ditch the resonator... Anyone done this lately...

WR

Y2KSVT

Established Member
You'll ONLY want to gut your PRE-cats, located in your exhaust manifolds. Get/make yourself some MIL eliminators to take care of the CEL. Instead of just removing your resonator, replace it with a nice, straight through resonator such as a Magnaflow. Replacing with straight pipe is not going to give you the sound you want, unless you like rasp. :xpl:

Mark

ToasterOven

???
Established Member
best i ever got was 27, at around 75mph and about 13%city miles. i thought that was good. but my motor likes to run rich from time to time cause of a bad 02 sensor , and i like to step on it a bit from time to time. you know, just like why steeltwo does.

also, mines a non svt. doe sthat make a difference?

wruben

Ok, thanks Mark, so am I hoping to be getting mileage back by gutting my front precats... I have the MIL elimators already (uninstalled)... Will I need to be replacing any O2 sensors for the cat gutting event? Or should I replace them anyways due to 90K miles on the car....???? I definitely due not want rasp... so I like the idea of a different resonator...
WR

wruben

What about going to a set of headers? Like weapon R or similar... what types of power improvements am I going to be getting for the $$$.... vs just gutting the precats and basically opening up the manifolds... Did anyone see a MPG improvement from gutting the pre cats?

Users who are viewing this thread