mpg numbers...another disappointment?

vergil

Established Member
Mustang EcoBoost (manual): City 22 / Highway 31
V6 Mustang (manual): City 17 / Highway 28
V6 Mustang (auto): City 19 / Highway 28

What do you think guys? I think this car will be difficult to sell after the first year. I don't see enough improvements over the current model.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member

What do you think guys? I think this car will be difficult to sell after the first year. I don't see enough improvements over the current model.

Ford overstated the MPG rating on the Transit, Fiesta, ect. Seems like they don't want a repeat of that

rrg9946

Established Member

Once the performance numbers come out for the Ecoboost, show me how many other cars get better gas mileage that are on that performance level. Then we can say whether or not this is a disappointment

vergil

Established Member
I wouldn't count on the performance that much David Freiburger wrote a preview and he said "It didn’t feel as strong as we’d hoped. To be fair, we didn’t spend a lot of time at WOT."
Read more: http://blogs.hotrod.com/2015-mustang-review-our-first-ride-114423.html#ixzz3BBRMNAWt

Don't get me wrong I have respect for everyone's opinion but most of the info we have so far has been disappointing. I don't see any reason to trade in my 2012 gt for 2015. Also in couple years Ford will have stronger competition(new gen Camaro, new 370z and vs...).

H-TownMachI

It's the Hamburglar
Established Member
Ford overstated the MPG rating on the Transit, Fiesta, ect. Seems like they don't want a repeat of that

Yes, Ford sent me a check for $775 for over stating my Fusion Hybrid MPG. The new sticker dropped 5 MPG overall from 47 to 42. My 2 liter Ecoboost Escape has never seen the 31 MPG rated for Hwy.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
Not impressed. Not even sort of. The wife's 2011 V6 Vert Auto EASILY gets 30+ on the highway, top down. This new Mustang will look nicer, and likely ride nicer too. I'm sure the interior will be more pleasant. But from a performance and/or efficiency standpoint....I just don't see it.

FYI....2014 V6 Mustang's were rated at 19/31 A6 and 19/29 M6.

Voltwings

Established Member
The article says "likely from revised gear ratios" ... so the exact same engine, in a slightly heavier car, with more performance oriented ratios gets worse gas mileage... I fail to see the confusion, it makes perfect sense to me. The 2.73 in the v6 was the first thing everyone changed anyways because it makes that motor so lethargic. I literally cant even use 6th gear on my girls v6 under 70 mph on the highway, we're dropping her down to a 3.55 anyways, so I wouldn't mind Ford saving me the trouble and doing it from the factory.

Voltwings

Established Member
Well how can you be disappointed when it makes perfect sense I guess is where I'm getting hung up, its not like its magic you know. Heavier + more performance oriented ratios an MPG saver does not make. I also wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to push people more towards the ecoboost and eventually phase the V6 out...

vergil

Established Member
more performance oriented ratios? Just changing the gear ratio doesn't mean it will perform better.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
My Boss gets no where near its EPA est. let's hope these numbers are more realistic.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
more performance oriented ratios? Just changing the gear ratio doesn't mean it will perform better.

Actually, depending on what you change the gear ratio to it does. Swapping out gears for n/a 4.6 mustangs is a very popular first mod for a reason. Just swapping gears from the stock 3.27's to 4.10's is worth a few 10ths in the 1/4. So with the 2015 model year they get a little heavier and have steeper gear ratios for increased acceleration (better performance) at the cost of increased fuel consumption.

Voltwings I think you are right, eventually the V6 will be phased out in favor of a turbo 4.

vergil

Established Member
You are right, but I was trying to say they should have done better especially with the ecoboost.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Once the performance numbers come out for the Ecoboost, show me how many other cars get better gas mileage that are on that performance level. Then we can say whether or not this is a disappointment

The car weighs the same and has similar power numbers compared to a 3valve. Don't expect mid 13's stock. Maybe high 13's, low 14's.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Yes, Ford sent me a check for $775 for over stating my Fusion Hybrid MPG. The new sticker dropped 5 MPG overall from 47 to 42. My 2 liter Ecoboost Escape has never seen the 31 MPG rated for Hwy.

When I dropped off my Shelby my loaner was the C-MAX, never driven a Hybrid so when I started it I thought it was off. Also amazing how it regenerates so much battery power by braking. But in traffic\city driving I never dipped below 35, compared to the Shelby I was just like O.O but at the same time going "where is the clutch?"

Also unless something changed after Ford announced specs, didn't they down-grade the V6 by 10-15hp? Seems like a way to boost the Eco-BOOST sales to me.

Last edited:

rrg9946

Established Member
The car weighs the same and has similar power numbers compared to a 3valve. Don't expect mid 13's stock. Maybe high 13's, low 14's.

Performance is not only measured by quarter mile acceleration times. It's also about the street manners and how it performs under load in turns and on the brakes. It's also about how the car keeps pulling throughout the power band. Keep in mind the IRS on a small hp call will react well. Will the car have a broader range of aftermarket components? How will the car react to the aftermarket components? Not to mention how will the car hold up?
Now compare all of these points to cars in its class. Then you can decide if the car is in fact a disappointment?

Users who are viewing this thread