MRT Customer Service

torchred03

Established Member
I recently purchased a white logo 6 spd pattern shit ball from MRT. When I installed the the ball I followed the instructions looked very nice in the car and fit very well (or so I thought). Went for a drive and normal shifting the ball was spinning in my hand when I shifted into 3rd gear. Thought OK I just did not get the jam nut tight enough went home and checked the jam nut nope it was fine. Sent MRT a e-mail no response, just called them. Explained what was going on and ask if I could exchange this one. Did not want to work with me at all. First suggested that I go buy some expoy and re glue the ball, (brand new ball WTF). Then best they said they would do was for me to send them mine back and they would SELL me another at wholesale. MRT took the stance the ONLY way this could have happened was the shifter level touched the top of the ball and pushed the branze ring loose. Even though I told them I followed the instructions to the letter. The instructions do state "when installing do not screw down till level touches ball". Still no luck would not admit that just maybe it was a bad shift ball.

I know others here have MRT shift balls and have had no problems with them. I also know that sometimes you get a bad one. Our Cobras prove that point on a daily basis. I just wanted folks to know what kind of company MRT really is. Just had to vent a little. I guess I will be getting another ball from someone else.:shrug:

Juiced-03

Established Member
Ya I have called them before and they were rather unpleasant. I wont order from them again.

As far as the ball, you have to be very precise in how you install it. It sounds like you didnt thread the jam nut far enough into the ball. Use a small wrench to turn the nut into the ball. Just dont turn the ball too much into the handle or it will split!

o3SnakeBite

Die Hard Sports Junkie
Established Member
That sucks, every company shoudl take responsibility for their products if they want to continue doing business. How long have you had the ball for?

torchred03

Established Member
Juiced:

I might not have treaded the nut far enough up into the ball? But I followed the directions to the letter and was concerned that if I did treaded al the way up it would split the ball. As the directions stated could happen. So I opted on the side of caution and snugged up it like every other shift handle I have installed. I can say that this was two purchases in one, "first and last"

Snake:

I have had it about a week know. Was on the car for 15 minutes before it broke. It now holds a place on a shelf in my storage room. Put my UPR billet ball back on the car. Was replacing this one because it gets hot as hell in NC during the summer.

It completely sucks, because I really liked the looks of it. Oh well a $35.00 lesson, could have been worse. Just will NEVER purchase from them again. I know this will not put them out of business, but maybe this thread will make them realize Cobra owners have a large voice in the market.

Last edited by a moderator:

Juiced-03

Established Member
Ya you need to tighten the nut into the ball as much as you can. It wont split the ball so dont worry. The way it will split the ball is if you turn the knob onto the shifter too much. I think I went down 6 or 7 threads on the handle, I cant remeber. What I did was I took a pencil and put it into the ball, then marked the pencil. Then you take the pencil and count how many threads on the handle that distance is. Then screw the ball almost to that point (very slowly!). Install the nut TIGHT into the ball and you are done.

Sounds like you just need to tighten the nut more.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I got the UPR annodized red cobra etched ball. You can use this thing as a weapon! It took a few times to get the nut adjustment right but the solid piece design is bullet proof!

Users who are viewing this thread