Msd 2 step.

04Cobra931

I hooked my harness to the coils. Grounded it. And tapped into my clutch switch. Start the car. Itll start then die. Switch the harness around.. starts and rund rough. Try to give it gas. It just dies. Got a picture of the wire you tapped into. That would be awesome. Maybe i tapped into the wrong one... my car is tuned on sct pump tune. Would that affect it not starting?

Soap

Established Member
I assume you are referring to MSD 8734? Which wire did you tap into when you say "clutch switch"? Did you use the correct set of directions? One set is for activation with 12V power (blue/white wire) and one is for activation with ground (solid blue wire). Do not wire both, one just gets trimmed off or capped.

I have an auto so mine is activated with 12V power (blue/white wire).

--Joe

04Cobra931

Yes. 8734 is the one for 99-10 i believe. I have the right 2 step. But yes. I am using the solid blue wire. I went to a local shop and they confirmed that the wire im tapping into. Is the correct wire. Forget the color.. but i tried them both. And doesnt run. Trying to see how others have wired or is my device bad.. but idk if its my tune. Or what.

Soap

Established Member
Tune is irrelevant all you are doing is wiring in an rpm controller, it has zero impact. Should install and fire right up.

Since I don't know which wire you are tapping.......I would get under the dash with a meter and see if that meter has 12V power or ground. Or check the connector and wire color and look it up in the Helm wiring manual (if you have one). If not let me know, I do.

--Joe

Soap

Established Member
I went to a local shop and they confirmed that the wire im tapping into. Is the correct wire. Forget the color.. but i tried them both.

What do you mean you tried both? You tried wiring each MSD wire (blue and blue/white) into one of the clutch wires, or you tried to wire the same blue wire from the MSD into both the wires on the clutch?

FYI, the clutch wires are the NSS (neutral safety switch).

--Joe

04Cobra931

Yes. I have two wires coming from the top of my clutch. I took the blue one and tapped into one of them. The car wouldnt run. So i tried the other. Still wouldnt run.. one is a white with pink stripe. And the others a red with blue i believe.. neither seem to work

Soap

Established Member
I think you are using the wrong signal cable from the MSD. The solid blue wire is for a ground signal, I think you are hooking it up to 12V. Crawl under the dash with a meter and find out if the wire you are tapping into is power or ground. If power then use the blue/white wire from MSD, if ground then use the solid blue.

Side note.......I also think the wire you are tapping into on the clutch side is wrong. Pretty sure the wires are solid green and green with a stripe. Take a pic and post it.

--Joe

04Cobra931

Anyway you can take a photo of the wire i need to tap into and post it im new here and dont know how.. but maybe i am tapping into the wrong side. Not sure. If you can post that. That would be awesome!

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
So I ran this kit for a couple of years, or tried to, rather. The problem is that there is way too much wiring to try and fit under the COP covers. One of two things happened to be every time I tried to run it; the extra wire would either get pinched causing a short or bad connection or the wire would cause a coil to shift position and make contact with the head or cause a bad connection with the plug.

You may have better luck than I, but I could never get my car to run right with this kit.

Soap

Established Member
So I ran this kit for a couple of years, or tried to, rather. The problem is that there is way too much wiring to try and fit under the COP covers. One of two things happened to be every time I tried to run it; the extra wire would either get pinched causing a short or bad connection or the wire would cause a coil to shift position and make contact with the head or cause a bad connection with the plug.

You may have better luck than I, but I could never get my car to run right with this kit.

Sorry to hear you had so many issues. Sounds like you has a wire exposed. The coils can touch the heads without issue, they are all plastic and the wires can touch the heads too, they are coated wires.

There are hundreds (if not thousands) of people running the kit without issue. I agree the wiring is tight, but you just have to get creative and rearrange the wires under the coil covers so there are no sharp bends or pinch points.

--Joe

04Cobra931

Update: so today I tried to reinstall the msd 2 step. Hooked to the coils as usual. And was forsure that i have found the cause now. Hooked to that exact! Wire shown in the photo. The black clutch wire. In the back. Use the white with blue stripe as add says to use. Nothing. Car starts right up no problem. Then instantly dies... swapped the connections on the msd 2 step box around. Tan to black. Grey to red. Nothing. Same thing. Okay, so i swapped the white and blue wire to the solid blue. Nothing. Car starts then dies... this is getting old .

Soap

Established Member
Have you changed anything else on the car? Or was it a perfectly driving car, then did the MSD install and now you're having issues?

--Joe

04Cobra931

Car runs and drives just like new when msd 2 step is not installed. Hooked it up like that link said. Started then instantly died. Tried every which way possible. Same thing. Unhooked it all. Plugged stock coils back in, etc. Started car. Runs good as new. Will idle for days. Have nooo idea. What could be wrong. Probably gonna just sell the msd and get a different set up. Nothing but problems.

bubblehead93

Established Member
since i installed mine with a line lock, i installed a quick release button on the console near the shifter and a couple switches, allows me to turn it all on and to cut the two step in and out, that way I can use the line lock sans two step for the burnout and then cut the two step back in with the line lock for staging... while this does not help your problem, might be something to consider if you choose to go another route...

r/
Andy

Users who are viewing this thread