MSD Stacker installed

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
As far as I know, nobody has tried installing an MSD stacker on a Cobra yet.

I installed the stacker because I was curious to learn if it would help the rough running. My car is has a 2.93 pulley, chip, Steeda CAI, and Bassani exhaust. Like a few other Cobras, my car either misses on the low end or top end depending on how much I gap the plugs. In any case, it always seems to be a compromise. I've tried all sorts of spark plugs with no avail. It could be the crappy Cali gas.

The unit comes as a "universal fit"and is shown in the first picture, just as it comes out of the box. It took me about about 2 hours to install and required making a special mounting bracket and wiring harness. I located the unit in the passenger-side fenderwell just on the other side of the air filter, it's critical to keep these units out of the heat.

So far I can notice no difference in performance but will report back in a week after I've put about 500 miles on the Cobra.

If the images don't load they can be found here:

-Jon

MSD.JPG
MSD_routing.JPG

Last edited:

mm49

Established Member
Originally posted by NeedForSpeed
I got the plasma booster to put on.......... and I was thinking of also trying the boost-a-spark.

I have both !! :D Plasma booster has been on for almost 18 months and it did smooth out idle. BAS is only used with 20lbs boost + and race gas !

Jon L

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
Originally posted by mm49
I have both !! :D Plasma booster has been on for almost 18 months and it did smooth out idle. BAS is only used with 20lbs boost + and race gas !

Jon L

What plugs and gap to you run?

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
Update.

I've been running the Stacker-8 for approximately 2500 miles and the news is not good.
There is practically no difference between the way the car drives before and after installation other than perhaps a bit more missing in the 1800-2200 cruising range. Definately, not good.
But the real let down is the poor top end. Starting at 5000 rpms the engine begins to miss severly. By 5400 rpms it feels like I have a rev limiter as the engine just won't go any higher. If I unplug the unit I can rev through 6000 with only the expected spark blowout I was hoping to mitigate with the Stacker.
MSD suggesting that i install their coil p/n 8830) in parallel with the power and ground leads. I will try that this week.

Users who are viewing this thread