MT-82: shifting out of 5th and 6th

evanjp

Established Member
Well, when shifting out of 5th and 6th gears into neutral, the transmission feels like it's almost locked up and hard to push the shifter to the left in neutral. I can move it to the right easily but I have to push it pretty good to bring it to the left, like say to put it in 1st or 2nd, not that I'm going from 5 or 6 to 1 or 2. The transmission shifts fine with no grinding and if I let the clutch out when it feels "stuck" in neutral, nothing grinds or anything. Normal operation besides that.

I failed at installing a race spec MGW a week or so ago and am not sure if I bolted my steeda bushing up all the way. Could that be the issue? Could my transmission be starting to take a shit? Really feels fine besides coming out of 5 and 6... It's so weird. Guess I gotta check the 4 bolts into the shifter itself and the bushing.

Anyone have any ideas?

jp1seattle

Established Member
Get going on that MGW again! Don't let it beat you.

I'd bet something isn't lining up with your shifter. Just yank it and make the MGW work. If I'd have read this earlier, I would've said pick me up at the Hilton BWI and I could've helped you!

evanjp

Established Member
Damn it! It just seems like something isn't lining up to me too. I need to get that MGW in badly. I have a feeling it's nothing that serious, otherwise I would have trouble going IN to 5 and 6 and if I let the clutch out when it felt stuck, there would be something up with that too. I just gotta find the time to get under and check. I can't do the MGW on jack stands, I'm going to somehow need a lift. I just don't have any connections and don't know anyone to just let me use it for a few hours or to help me or. Sucks.

evanjp

Established Member
So I checked the bushing today and it seems tight. Maybe the actual shifter is loose or something. No idea. It shifts fine in all gears besides the usual crunchiness it's had since it had 3 miles on the odometer, but right now it's shifting very well. Just coming out of 5th and 6th, when I move the shifter to the left in neutral, it is tight and doesn't move until I use a bit of force to move it over and it's fine. Even with the car off if I shift to 5th and 6th and to neutral, it feels like it has to overcome something just barely to move the shifter to the left in neutral.

I REALLY hope my transmission is ok.

king_13

Established Member
Did the tranny do this before you attempted to install the MGW?

Just have a shop do it if you can't honestly, shouldn't be more than 2 hours of shop time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evanjp

Established Member
No it never did this before I tried to install the MGW.

I may end up doing that. I just need to know if those symptoms could mean something could be wrong with the actual transmission?

evanjp

Established Member
Fixed it. Apparently the boot was on funny and causing the shifter to hang up when coming out of those gears. It feels great now, it felt kinda stiff now that I think about it before I fixed it. Hooray!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread