MT-82 Trans whine warning

Larry03GT

Established Member
Hopefully my miss diagnosis will help some one from making the same mistake I did. About three months ago my trans started making loud whining noise so I figured I just needed to change the fluid to a better full synthetic oil like many people had suggested. Well after a month after that the whine got much worse and would make the noise when idling and would go away when you pushed in the clutch. So I thought it was the throw-out bearing and I was right at 60k miles so decided to upgrade the clutch being SC. After doing the clutch the whine was still there. After all that I finally took it to the dealer and after they tore apart the tranny it turns out to be a roller bearing that went bad inside the tranny. If I would have taken it to the dealer when I first noticed the whine it would have been 100% warranty. I do have to give a big thanks to both Ashley ( Social media customer service rep) and Debbie ( Regional customer service rep) from Ford. They were able to still work with me even though I was out of warranty and cover a large part of the cost. Also big thanks to Maxwell Ford in Austin TX for also helping me out and I'm sure they will have my car finished on Monday with out the annoying whining trans!

Ill_W1N

Established Member
So ford covered "most" of the cost even with the blower with no warranty and an aftermarket tune? How is this possible? Im confused...and all ears

helli217

Established Member
So ford covered "most" of the cost even with the blower with no warranty and an aftermarket tune? How is this possible? Im confused...and all ears

Wow...right? You must have gotten very very lucky. Buy some lotto tickets.

Glad you got it sorted.

Larry03GT

Established Member

Yes they did and for that I am thankful! The bearing failed due to a defect my mods had nothing to do with it. My mistake was not taking it in to Ford when I first noticed the whining noise before it was over the 60k. I diagnosed it my self and was wrong and now I have to pay for a portion instead of Ford paying for all of it.

Ill_W1N

Established Member
Yes they did and for that I am thankful! The bearing failed due to a defect my mods had nothing to do with it. My mistake was not taking it in to Ford when I first noticed the whining noise before it was over the 60k. I diagnosed it my self and was wrong and now I have to pay for a portion instead of Ford paying for all of it.

Thats crazy especially since you have an aftermarket clutch to boot. That alone I thought would void a powertrain warranty even if you still had one. Kudos to you for that! Thats awesome let us know if the noise is gone when you get the car back.

Larry03GT

Established Member
Got her back finally! Ford ended up putting in a new trans because the parts to rebuild mine were on backorder and would have taken two or more months to get in. I did have to pay more but Big Thanks To Debbie at Ford! They stepped up and covered a big part of the cost.

Troponin

Established Member
There are lots of people that have mentioned a whine. Many have decided it's normal since so many people hear it. There might even be a service bulletin about it by now. It's interesting to hear that you actually found something causing it. I wonder if we aren't hearing more problems yet because the 2011s are just now hitting high mileage

Larry03GT

Established Member
There are lots of people that have mentioned a whine. Many have decided it's normal since so many people hear it. There might even be a service bulletin about it by now. It's interesting to hear that you actually found something causing it. I wonder if we aren't hearing more problems yet because the 2011s are just now hitting high mileage

The techs exact description of the failure was "Found 3rd gear burnt, bearing burnt, center support bearing and counter shaft bearing worn."

tangerine

Established Member
I had the same bearing whine and ended up getting the entire tranny replaced under warranty. It did take them 4 times removing the tranny before actually just getting me a brand new one though but all has been good now

86merc

Established Member
I just had my MT82 rebuilt this week. It had the whine since I purchased the car with 10,000 miles. Recently it was real hard to get into gear at a stand still. The 1-2 shift was hard and almost impossible when cold out. It has several bad bearings and bad syncros on 1st and 2nd gear. They replaced the slave cylinder/throw out bearing as they think that was part of the issue. After coming to a stop and the shifter in neutral you could hear the trans spinning still. They think the slave wasn't working properly. I had just replaced the slave as I had issues last summer. Installed a Ford unit as well as a SPEC clutch. So it had very few miles and the slave failed again? I don't know. But the trans had issues, they ordered parts and rebuilt it.

11_Ingot5.0

Established Member
I have the whine but got more noticable when I put the aluminum one piece in also swapped all the fluids/JPC clutch line. Mine has to be the rear gears since at idle I have no whine or in 5/6th. I debating swapping for 3.55s

benzopyrene

Established Member
Wow, lucky. Took my 2011 to an outside tranny shop, and he told me its definitely bearing noise. Took it to my local dealer and they requested a new transmission from ford......however after having my car a week I got a phone call saying ford had denies my claim. Thy gave me a piece of paper saying there was an acceptable level of whine....even though I could hear it over the radio and A/C. Dealer said I could file a complaint with FORD since it was supposed to be covered by my powertrain warranty.....gonna go to a tremec instead I think. Amazing how different people have different experiences depending on where they are. Did keep me from buying an F150 king ranch about a month later. Congrats!

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
Wow, lucky. Took my 2011 to an outside tranny shop, and he told me its definitely bearing noise. Took it to my local dealer and they requested a new transmission from ford......however after having my car a week I got a phone call saying ford had denies my claim. Thy gave me a piece of paper saying there was an acceptable level of whine....even though I could hear it over the radio and A/C. Dealer said I could file a complaint with FORD since it was supposed to be covered by my powertrain warranty.....gonna go to a tremec instead I think. Amazing how different people have different experiences depending on where they are. Did keep me from buying an F150 king ranch about a month later. Congrats!

How many miles are on your car, benzopyrene?

Ashley

Users who are viewing this thread