*MT-82 Transmission* 2nd Gear Issue (locked in)

Defiant 5.0

Established Member
When I'm in 2nd, I'll go to shift out of 2nd and it won't let me. It locks into 2nd gear. I will then try again a half a beat later (clutch still engaged) and it shifts smooth as silk. It seems to happen most after a bit of spirited driving. I took it to the dealer yesterday and we couldn't recreate it. It only happens sometimes.

I could really use some help because I'm less than 10k miles until my warranty expires.

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
bummer. hopefully it gets more frequent so the dealer can't slow roll you.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
When I first got the car two years ago I had a problem when I let a friend drive it. It got stuck in first. I had to yank the shifter back to neutral with a lot of force. Never had an issue after that. I think that a bushing from the shifter extension got deformed or something. My car shifts perfect still and it has the stock shifter.

87hatchy

Established Member
Get under your car and take a look at that junk factory shifter bracket if you still have it. Maybe it got moved around weird within the little stamped steel bracket that its in. Hell, its only held in place by two zip ties

04nccobra

Established Member
IMO the MT-82 is a troubled transmission. My car had issues right from the start at 2000 miles. I brought it to the dealer they did the fluid change as per the notice, that didn't change anything. I was having a slight grind going into second in normal driving and was locked out of 3rd during high rpms runs. Dealer insisted there was no issues. I know the aftermarket has answers but when you change to these parts you essentially void the transmission warranty should it break, this gives the dealer an excuse to deny warranty. Again IMO the tranny in this car sucks period, far too many complaints out there both from the 5.0 and Boss camps.

After being pretty much aggrevated with the car since I purchased it, I let it go last weekend. Hopefully in the next generation of GT Ford decides to put a quality transmission behind the awesome Coyote.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I upgraded to a Barton short throw, unplugged the skip shift and replaced the fluid to dot 4. Absolutely no issues now, shifts are precise and short with little effort. It was worth every penny spent.

Users who are viewing this thread