MT82 1st to 2nd grind

BlackPwny

Driver
Established Member
Guys recently installed a Blowfish 2nd Gen shifter bracket. It helped with high RPM lock out, but if I shift to agressively I still get a slight grind going from 1st to 2nd. None of the other gears do that. Is my trans going out?

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Have you tried a high volume clutch line or a trans fluid change? My car does the same thing intermittently and those are on my list of "To Do's".

This is the line I will be installing
http://www.lethalperformance.com/jhr-2005-2015-mustang-high-volume-clutch-line-upgrade.html

The trans fluid that everyone seems to be happiest with is the Amsoil Synchromesh, 2.75 qts is the capacity.

Your other option is if you are still under warranty, take it to the dealer. I may actually go this route since I am still covered and see what they do just for the hell of it.

Last edited:

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
I have the same issue, already using Amsoil in the trans. How/why would a clutch line potentially help here?

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I have the same issue, already using Amsoil in the trans. How/why would a clutch line potentially help here?

If it's a power/speed shifting issue, the high volume line will allow the slave cylinder to react to the pedal release quicker which allows the clutch to engage/disengage properly. If it's grinding during a casual shift, then it is more than likely a syncro issue and should be taken up with a dealer for probable warranty as a clutch line won't fix that particular issue.

My car only has the issue during power/speed shifting SOMETIMES, but even casual shifts when cold are pretty poor. I can actually feel the syncros trying to catch up as I move the shifter which causes it to feel stiff when making the changes. Get's a little better once it's warmed up a bit.

Last edited:

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Good info, thanks. Yes, it's only during speed shifting that it happens in my case. Used to happen occasionally when it was cold but don't recall that happening recently.

BlackPwny

Driver
Established Member
Thank you for the good info! I'm only getting it during high speed shifting as well. Hopefully getting some more fluid flowing solves the problem!

Users who are viewing this thread