MT82 questions

cmycobrafly

Established Member
I have a 2012 brembo car with 3.73s and MGW shifter. Question is I like to run the quarter mile alot. Is speed shifting into 5th all the time going to wear the blocking ring alot. Is the blocking ring on 5th a single? Is is just about as stout as a t56s 4th gear ring? Next question is, when I am rolling to stop I will sometimes downshift 2-3 mph into first gear it don't feel like it goes all the way in some times and i will go to let clutch out and it will pop out once and while. If i am a little more force full with shifter it seams to be way better. Car only has 850 miles on it have had 6 mustangs in past from 87 gt to 04 cobra so my shifting is not the problem. I did just install the qdc fluid haven't got a chance to take it out beings there is snow on ground.

FiveLeeter918

OK Performance Fords
Established Member
Personally to fix the pop out issue just stay in neutral until you come to a complete stop.

As for the blocking ring wear, I'm not sure. Never been inside this Chinese tranny...

cmycobrafly

Established Member
will do next question I just started car up in garage after letting it sit since thanksigving and let it run for 10 mins it smells like burnt rubber any thoughts

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Check to make sure you don't have a mouse nest in the engine compartment anywhere. It's possible you've got rodents eating at plastic and rubber parts in there. If this stuff gets on the manifolds it will cause that smell.

WHITEMACH

Established Member
shifting to 5th is a no-no in the quarter! it will hurt your mph the most and your et! raise the factory limiter and you can get thru in 4th!

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
shifting to 5th is a no-no in the quarter! it will hurt your mph the most and your et! raise the factory limiter and you can get thru in 4th!

+1

Have to agree here, you will be at the top of fourth thorugh the finish, but better than hitting fifth.

FiveLeeter918

OK Performance Fords
Established Member
I completely missed the 5th gear in the quarter comment.

As for the burning rubber, can you tell where it is coming from? like something burning off the exhaust or in the engine? Any smoke with the hood popped?

cmycobrafly

Established Member
850 miles it started doing it after i washed car and washed engine. I used a little water on engine i didn't flood it with water i have washed my engine in ever car i have owned. I am asking about the durabuility of 5th gear not weather it will hurt ets or mph.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Considering 5th gear is the 1:1 gear, I would imaging that the parts there would be stronger than a traditional 5th gear that is an overdrive.

cmycobrafly

Established Member
good to know, as for the shift it would probley be better than power falling off at 6700 and ringing it out to 7200-7300 in 4th

Users who are viewing this thread