MT82 third gear went out

D1984

Whining
Established Member
Well my Mustang has been great to me so far, even now that it's over 100k miles. I switched to Amsoil MTL a while back for the trans, DOT 4 fluid, and removed the clutch helper spring and it shifted great since all that. Last night however I was on the highway and downshifted into third gear to pass somebody. It wasn't a hard downshift or anything, and nothing seemed out of the ordinary, but then suddenly it wouldn't engage. It was like it was in neutral. All the other gears engage and work just fine, but I can't go into third. The shifter will FEEL like it's in third, but letting the clutch out won't engage it and it just revs freely.

So, I'm guessing third gear is toast, unless there is some other simple solution I'm not thinking of. Any idea of the cost here? I pay 80 bucks an hour for labor FWIW

Thanks

hand-filer

Established Member
Mine bit the dust shortly after switching to Amsoil Syncromesh. Prior to that I used Redline MTL without issues. I continue to use it in the replacement.
I'm not sure what you fragged in yours but it doesn't sound like a simple fix.

Sometimes you can buy a good used one for less than the cost of repairing one.
I bought one from a forum member with less than 2,000 miles for $750.

D1984

Whining
Established Member
Damn, maybe that was part of it then. And yeah I think a simple fix is just wishful thinking. I might even go with a Calimer stage 1 unit and upgrade my clutch/flywheel at the same time

hand-filer

Established Member
Damn, maybe that was part of it then. And yeah I think a simple fix is just wishful thinking. I might even go with a Calimer stage 1 unit and upgrade my clutch/flywheel at the same time
Or maybe it was just coincidence that both of our transmissions failed after the switch to Amsoil. I use their product everywhere else with no problems, but nothing but Redline MTL goes in my MT-82!!!
Calimer stage 1 is what I would do to if i had to.

Users who are viewing this thread