Muffler sound comparison -- for the quiet side

makriluc

Established Member
I know, it's an unusual request. But at my age I like thing to be a littler toned down.
My set-up right now is a P1-SC intercooled, UPR o/x with Hi-Flow cat linked to a Magnaflow cat-back 2.5" system. I want to keep the pipes, so I'm dealing with a small place to fit the new mufflers. Tha Magnaflow's are 4X9X14. So far what I saw is a Walker #18175, but there 18" long, might be a thight fit. Also Dynomax Super Turbo #17734, which they are the same siza as the Magnaflows.
What would be quieter; Magnaflow or Dynomax?
Or would someone know of another brand that would fit?
I know there is also Flowmaster's, but they're 3 times the price.

Thanks for your input.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
I had Flowmaster 40's on mine with manifolds, and a O/R UPR x... Blew the baffles out and split the top open like a loaf of bread... Went to the longer 50 series and they are a lot quieter than I thought. Now I have the Bassani Mid Length headers and bassani o/r x and it has really nice tone...And its loud when you get on it, but easy on the ears while driving.

I think I will be selling my mufflers in the near future if your interested

dlt85

Established Member
I haven't tried the brands you are considering but you might wanna take a look at the Borla ProXS mufflers. I had them on my e39 M5 and they were pretty quiet, but def gave enough sound to indudge in when you have the windows down or at WOT. I hear they flow well and I know they are cheap for a stainless muffler :p

97RioRed4V

Established Member
I just installed bassani x pipe with cats and cat back with resonators. It is quiet at 2000 rpms. It sounds great at low idle and high rpms. I can easily drive it every day without getting annoyed. My wife says she can hear me coming but in the car it is not that loud.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Ya, catted mid-pipe with magnaflows is pretty quiet already. I would try the Dynomax Superturbos.

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
My '97 cobra has a bassani catted x pipe and dynomax welded mufflers with factory tips. I am happy with it, it's quiet as any mustang I have been around with aftermarket exhaust, fails to cover up even the "silent" SQ trim blower.

makriluc

Established Member
Ya, catted mid-pipe with magnaflows is pretty quiet already. I would try the Dynomax Superturbos.

Personally, I don't find my MagnaFlows to be that quiet. Unless there are different mufflers available for that system. Have you ever heard the Dynomax SuperTurbo?
I was looking at the Summit Racing web site, there is also Cherry Bomb Turbo mufflers, Trush Turbo Mufflers.
When I was young, I remember those Co. for the loudness of their mufflers. I don't know if it's stiil the same today.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Personally, I don't find my MagnaFlows to be that quiet. Unless there are different mufflers available for that system. Have you ever heard the Dynomax SuperTurbo?
I was looking at the Summit Racing web site, there is also Cherry Bomb Turbo mufflers, Trush Turbo Mufflers.
When I was young, I remember those Co. for the loudness of their mufflers. I don't know if it's stiil the same today.

I am pretty sure the only mufflers magnaflow makes are the original magnaflows and then the magnapacks, which are much louder. Based on what you gave for a measurement it sounds like you have the regular magnaflows. They are "quiet" in comparison to other aftermarket mufflers.

I have heard and actually owned a pair of Dynomax superturbos, however it was on my old 94 V6 SHO. Those cars were tough to make sound good, but this muffler did it. The muffler was definitely on the quiet side compared to other mufflers people tried though.

Maybe I don't know enough to tell you if it is quieter than a magnaflow or not I guess, since I never have compared them on a mustang. I would search for sound clips on YouTube I guess. Maybe look into the Borla muffler mentioned earlier in this thread too.

Last edited:

robb15033

Established Member

Cherry Bomb is now owned by a group of young dudes. They have great mufflers to choose from.......
vortex2011final-thumb.jpg

turbo2011final-thumb.jpg

pro2011final-thumb.jpg

extreme2011final-thumb.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread