Mustang Newb Questions

rcbev

Hello all! A buddy of mine led me to this forum when I asked which one to join. Already looking through some post and so far it looks like a great place to get some info.

I just purchased a brand new 2015 GT Premium with a 6 speed trans 2 weeks ago and I have some initial questions I hope to get some answers on. (LOVE the new ride BTW, most fun car I have ever driven, and I used to work on LSX cars for a living) Forgive me in advance as I come from the dark side of Mopars, and also own a classic Chevy, and my knowledge of Mustangs is slim to none.

1. Coyote Oil Consumption?
My old car was a 2005 Magnum R/T 5.7 Hemi. My wife's truck also has a 5.7 hemi, and one thing that they are notorious for is oil consumption. Even when brand new. When doing so, they get quite a bit of carbon build up in the intakes. I know a few companies build an oil separator to put in between the pvc and the intake to catch the recirculated oil before it goes in the intake.

My question, since some of the newer motors produced now have this similar issue, is this something to be concerned about with the Coyote Motor, and if so, is there a oil separator or similar option that anyone recommends to reduce the consumption? I just want to be proactive since this is the first brand new car I have ever bought.

2. Initial Oil Change
I have put around 1,500 miles on the car. I know the dealer recommends to change the oil at 3k, but my old school background tells me to change it sooner. If I do an oil change now what oil should I use? Do i need to use conventional or blend because it is a new motor? Eventually I would like to run Mobil One Synthetic or Amsoil Synthetic on the car in the future. Any specific oil recommended post first oil change?

I look forward to hanging out in this forum, thanks in advance for any help!

GBCoyote

Established Member
You're going to get a slew of answers on here and most are going to be about perspective. No, these motors don't consume very much oil. I've heard around 1/4 quart. Mine has never consumed any more than a few ounces. Your best bet for oil is whatever you can afford to put in. I've put nothing but Penzoil Platinum in since I've owned my car. Always use a Motorcraft oil filter.

rcbev

Thanks for the reply, that is good to know. I didn't believe the hype before about the oil separator until I started noticing my Magnum consuming 1.5 quarts 5k oil change. I can live with 1/4 a quart, that seems very normal. Thanks again!

whatsup62

Established Member
Oil separator - there are several out there. I put one on right away and have never had more than a teaspoon in it. Check it every couple thousand miles. 6600 on car now.

Oil usage - Mine used about 1/2 Qt every 750 miles for the first 1500 miles, not a drop since.

First oil change - I did at 1000 miles.

Oil type - when i changed at 1000 I went full synthetic Royal Purple 5w-20. At 5000 miles I switched to Amsoil Signature Series full synthetic 5w-30. Oil weight personal preference since going boosted.

GBCoyote

Established Member
Buy oil separators. They will help keep everything clean. It will trap those few ounces of oil inbetween changes and keep it out of the intake and valves. I have Bob's autosport catch cans and I can highly recommend them.

rcbev

Thanks everyone, just the answers i was looking for. Im not too concerned about the actual consumption itself, but rather the carbon buildup in the intake. A buddy and I rebuilt his 2008 5.7 Hemi out of a truck he bought and it was alarming how much carbon was inside that plastic intake. If that oil separator can reduce or eliminate the build up in the intake, i think it would be worth it. I would of told anyone they were crazy when installing an oil separator before we saw that intake, it was a shocking!

Users who are viewing this thread