Mustang Popularity

svtrookie

Established Member

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
The high point of auto legend Lee Iaccoca’s career was not his revival of Chrysler but the launch of the Mustang in 1964. Many car industry historians say it was Ford’s fastest selling car since the Model A. Over 400,000 Mustangs were sold in the car’s first model year. The current version of the Mustang is the fifth generation of the automobile. Ford upgraded the Mustang engines this year, but that has not helped revive sales. The Mustang is in a highly competitive part of the market, which includes the Chevy Camaro.

Are the comparing first year sales to this year? If so then all their other numbers are crap. A comparison for decrease should be based on a recent time period.

Five-ohh-Love

Established Member
"Ford upgraded the Mustang engines this year, but that has not helped revive sales."

LOL no way in hell has the new 5.0 not helped sales. And how is it called 'Cars Americans No Longer Drive'? If i go to the 3 Ford dealerships in my area, they have more F150s and Mustangs of all colors and sizes then any other car Ford makes. And i see Mustangs of all years everywhere on the road. How does America not drive them anymore :shrug:

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
"Ford upgraded the Mustang engines this year, but that has not helped revive sales."

LOL no way in hell has the new 5.0 not helped sales. And how is it called 'Cars Americans No Longer Drive'? If i go to the 3 Ford dealerships in my area, they have more F150s and Mustangs of all colors and sizes then any other car Ford makes. And i see Mustangs of all years everywhere on the road. How does America not drive them anymore :shrug:

Again, by the way I read it, I think they are comparing sales #'s to 1964. If so it's beyond flawed. There are way too many variables in 50 years of market sales to make the conclusion that they did.

clean93

Established Member
here in DC i rarely see mustangs anymore. everyone drives Prius's, BMW's, Audis and then it goes to hondas, nissans and toyotas everywhere.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
again, by the way i read it, i think they are comparing sales #'s to 1964. If so it's beyond flawed. There are way too many variables in 50 years of market sales to make the conclusion that they did.

+1

Last edited:

SpectorV

Established Member
the more popular something becomes it eventually reaches a point where people avoid it due to that popularity~ just how it is. I dont believe for one second people currently dont want them though~

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
Have they checked to see how many new 5.0s are on the road. Im calling BS. Ill agree with the tahoe and chevy truck decline, Ford has the competition beat.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
The sales numbers are down since 2005 or so, gradually declining. The market got saturated, and now there is legitimate competition. Competition that outpowered the Mustang until 2011, at that.

Users who are viewing this thread