Mustang rear window and Window Tint

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Ford Mustangs have that ridiculous dot texture at the top of the rear windows that renders window tint unable to stick to that location. Every mustang I've ever seen with tinted windows looked so crappy at the top of the back window that it just makes me want to puke :xpl:

The only solution I could find on my '98 Shinoda BOSS was rear window louvers, that completely covered the top of the rear window where the tint wasn't affixed properly. While that looked GREAT on a '98 BOSS with a chin spoiler, and a blacked out rear spoiler, I am not sure that's going to look as good on my 2004 Mystichrome car because this car has a totally different style.

I may have to resort to the window louvers, but if others have come up with a better solution, I'd like to see pictures of them, and hear what you did.:shrug:

RickSvt

Its Fast
Established Member
You can use a piece of vinal over the microdots, looks the best, or you can spray paint them........I would use the vinal, most tint places should have it too

Rick

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Limo tint wont stick to the bumps any better than standard darkness tint.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
I just trimmed mine even with the bottom line of the bumps. It actually looks pretty good. I'll look for a pic but I don't think I have one.

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
VENOM650R...have you looked at the top of the back window from the outside of your car?

You think THAT looks fine?! Well, then you and I have a different definition of fine. I want mine to not look anything like that.

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
yea, that's the best idea so far, Rick. Cuz I think the rear window louvers will look out of place. A strip of black vinyl on the outside of the rear window isn't a bad idea at all.

03'Darin

Established Member
AtomHeart.....find someone that does the vinyl at the top. That's what I had done on both the 97' and 03' and it looks like the entire window is tinted the same.

Go to the middle of this page and look at the picture of sambandit's car where it is sitting behind an enclosed trailer. The top of the rear window shows what it looks like if you don't do anything to it.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=721635#post721635

Go to the middle of this page and you can see what the top of my rear window looks like with the vinyl.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63085

BTW.....the Mach1000 still isn't in my wifes 97' yet. Maybe this weekend.

Darin

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Hehehe...Mystic still isn't in my driveway, otherwise, my MACH 1000 would be in there. *sigh*

Yea, the black vinyl is the way to go. Thanks!

VENOM650R

Established Member
Originally posted by AtomHeart
VENOM650R...have you looked at the top of the back window from the outside of your car?

You think THAT looks fine?! Well, then you and I have a different definition of fine. I want mine to not look anything like that.

No, I never look at my car and I'm just an idiot with low performance/looks standards and a $120K Viper in my garage! Have YOU looked at MY back window?:burn:

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
guess you bought that Viper so you could brag about having it, eh? Congrats. *gives VENOM650R a cookie*

We aren't talking about the back window of a viper, however. I'm sure the back window of that car looks "fine"...LOL.

But I know exacty what the back window of your Cobra looks like if you just slapped some limo tint in there and ran it right over the bumps at the top of the glass.

If you're happy with it, enjoy it. It DOESN'T look fine to me at ALL, so I will cover it with black vinyl. Thanks for all your helpful input VENOM650R. I wouldnt' have been able to make this decision without you.

VENOM650R

Established Member
Originally posted by AtomHeart
guess you bought that Viper so you could brag about having it, eh? Congrats. *gives VENOM650R a cookie*

We aren't talking about the back window of a viper, however. I'm sure the back window of that car looks "fine"...LOL.

But I know exacty what the back window of your Cobra looks like if you just slapped some limo tint in there and ran it right over the bumps at the top of the glass.

If you're happy with it, enjoy it. It DOESN'T look fine to me at ALL, so I will cover it with black vinyl. Thanks for all your helpful input VENOM650R. I wouldnt' have been able to make this decision without you.

It ain't bragging if it's a fact and I only mentioned it to make a point since you insinuated my standards for "fine" were not up to yours. BTW, I was talking about the back window on my COBRA. Needless to say that you'll only see the back window of my Viper! :burnout: BTW, I think mystichrome is a ricer girl's color so it really dosen't matter what you put on the windows.

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
Actually, if you take your time with a heat gun, the tint will stick even with the dot matrix $hit in the back window...My rear window looks perfect, nothing else but normal window tint too

Wraith_Cobra

Established Member
I've also heard that a good tint shop which will guarantee their work will shave or sand the dots and/or use a special adhesive. Just remember quality isn't cheap and get refrences, I'll be doing that next spring.

Blu50Stang

Happiness is being blown
Established Member
Put a vinyl strip across the dot texture(on the inside of the window, if that's not obvious) and tint from the bottom of that down.

Last edited:

RickSvt

Its Fast
Established Member
The Vinal goes on the inside of the window, that way it doesnt become worn from the outdoors...

Rick

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Ah...gotcha. They use Vinyl for exterior car striping, so I wouldn't think it would weather too bad, but if it will affix over the dot matrix and not look like hell from the outside, I'll do it that way.

Users who are viewing this thread