My 03 Cobra clunk fix

red351wcobra

Established Member
After years of driving around this pesky clunk, I had enough :cuss:. I figured since I had my catback off this would be the best time. I know that my clunk, which might be different then some of yours. Was coming from the front of the third member thats sandwiched between the two rubber bushings. I had about 1/8 in of play that would allow the third member to rotate whenever the throttle was applied.(Sorry forgot to take a picture of it) I took the front brace off so that I could get the two lower bushings out. Looking at the bushing I noticed that there was a metal sleeve that the bushing was molded to. This sleave looks like it slides into the bottom of the top bushing. But the problem is that it keep the Bushing from sitting flush with the ear on rearend. So I got out my trusty cutoff wheel and trimmed and 1/8 inch off the top of the sleeve. This should allow the rearend to be sandwiched between the two bushings. When I went to assemble everything back together I had to use to washers to get my pinion angle right. I took the car out for a long drive. And NO CLUNK!!:dancenana: Hope this can help of my fellow Terminator owners.

IMG_3822.jpg

IMG_3825.jpg

Last edited:

red351wcobra

Established Member
I'm definetly going to do the FullTilt kit. But it's going to be next year. Getting married and honeymoon. That has me strapped for cash till then..

dutch

LOL Europe
Established Member
these are the front diff bushings right? Glad it helps some people, but I have aluminium ones and still get a major clunk.

red351wcobra

Established Member
Yes these are the front bushings.. Doing this cheap mod cured MY clunk. It's so strange how our cars differ so much from one another. I have a buddy who still has the clunk after putting aluminium bushings in.. Go figure. I will do the FullTilt swap next year. And I cant wait..

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I too just did ftbr diff bushings and I still have a clunk too.

Users who are viewing this thread