My 03 Cobra project

cobra50

Established Member
Well, I decided to upgrade my 03 cobra last month. It had 485hp at the wheels before I started this project. I got the F1a Procharger with the 12 rib belt and did away with the air to water intercooler and went with the 3 core air to air cooling. It cost me 9100.00 for everything including accufab throttle body, 60lbs injectors, boost a pump, fuel rail, installation, and dyno tune. Hoping for alot more power. Well after the 3rd dyno tune, it started nocking bad. After tearing the motor apart it had worn out the main bearings. Thats what they said. To rebuild it, it would have costed me another 4300.00. thats everything, including installation. So, I had them stroke it for a total of 6500.00. It should be done by 3/4/06. cant wait to see what kind of hp numbers they get. Oh, and a new clutch was also part of the price.
What do you guys think?

mobius

CDM 2009
Established Member
should have gone turbos for htat kind of dough..... but it should make some good power when you are done :D

mrose75

Established Member
Wow!! Wish I had that kinda dough to throw at the car.... Good luck, man!!

cobra50

Established Member
Got car back today and not happy

Well, i got my car back today and the car only made 580hp. He said that the belt would slip badly over 18psi. With my mods, I would think that 650 or 700 would be a better mark. I think they just wanted to get my car outta there. They had it for 3 weeks longer than they had originally said. I dont think they really knew what they were doing. And I also thought that the 12rib belt should not slip. I am going to call procharger in the morning and see what they say. What do you think?

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
cobra50 said:
Well, i got my car back today and the car only made 580hp. He said that the belt would slip badly over 18psi. With my mods, I would think that 650 or 700 would be a better mark. I think they just wanted to get my car outta there. They had it for 3 weeks longer than they had originally said. I dont think they really knew what they were doing. And I also thought that the 12rib belt should not slip. I am going to call procharger in the morning and see what they say. What do you think?

Yeah, definately call them up. I was also thinking that you could get a new belt tensioner if it is slipping.

cobra50

Established Member
Car runs good

Even at 580hp, the car pulls really hard at 4000rpms and up. I called Procharger and they told me that on 93 octane, i would not be able to get more hp, because of detonation on 93. I read all the time about cobras putting out more than 600hp on pump gas. My goal is 800hp to the wheels, What do I have to do to get that? Can it be done on pump gask, and without turbos? :shrug:

cobra50

Established Member
Any one else have a procharger with the 12 rib belt?

Does any one else have the 12 rib belt set up? Have any problems with it slipping? How much boost and how much hp do you have?

cobra50

Established Member
Houston Performance

Houston performance did the tune. I called a couple other tuners around town, and they told me, that i could get a little more power. But the question is, is it going to be worth the money for a couple extra horse power?

cobra50

Established Member
Called Procharger

Spoke with a Procharger R&D guy on the 12 rib belt system today for about 30 minutes. They cannot understand why its slipping over 18psi. They told me to try a couple of things, but there is nothing else to do. That sucks, put all this money into the car for no hp gain and this problem. I should have went with a turbo or KB. Learn from mistakes i guess.

beerformeplz

Kenne Bell Mach 1
Established Member
For the type of money you spent they should kept the car until it was right. 580 is way off. I 04 Mach with an o3 cobra block and a d1sc with 12#s boost im ata 606 hp on 93 octane. I also have ported and polished heads with stage 3 cams but nowhere near the boost you have.
Id look for another tuner.

cobra50

Established Member
Track test Last night

Well took the car to the 1/8 mile track and ran a 7.32. I think I could have gotten alittle better, but the tranny got stuck in 4th gear. This car is giving me Hell. I guess I am going to build the tranny now. Any thing I should know about what parts to put in the tranny?

Tide612

Banned
She will be a DYNO QUEEN. there is a guy around here that is supposedly putting down around 600 at the wheels. But for some reason he cannot kep up with me and i am bout 500 hp at the wheels.

MTI LS1

The Procharger is junk, get rid of it now and save yourself the hastle. Everyone that has put one on their car has taken it off.

You could do the Hellion kit for cheap with selling all of your stuff and make 750-800HP all day with a built motor.

Who told you to get the Procharger?

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
This thread proves that you should do your homework before throwing money at people who do not know what they are doing. There is no shortcut to gaining knowledge before spending your money.

Users who are viewing this thread