My 03 Term exhaust help!!

nc_super_snake

Established Member
Ok guys let me introduce myself my names Brent from NC ive just got back into the mustang game....ive been in the supra world for the last couple years and i have completed that project wich netted 867rwhp and 700ft pounds of torque..so on the the next project.. last week i picked me up a 03 terminator..ive been looking at these cars for quite sometime..back in the day i have sevaral tangs my last being a 97 Vortech Cobra..i always got compliments on my exhaust on that car..it being simpley stock headers..bbk high flow cat h pipe and flowmasters..my 03 i just purchased has a kenne bell 2.4 blower...sev other goodies..big single blade throttle body and so forth..my main concern is the exhaust..it has mac long tubes,a off road h pipe and the mac 3'' catback with 3.5 tips....this thing is freakin loud just cruising at low speeds its ok but when you crack into it or just cruising down the highway at 70mph+ you cant even hear to talk on the phone..the exhasut is very throaty..and when hard on the throttle the best way to descride it is it sounds like the old school glass packs..alot of my friends have said it sounds good and they like it but i beg to differ...guys give me some suggestions here..ive considered just removing the mac mufflers and hangin something else..what you guys think or is this sound im talking about characteristic of the 03 04 terminators???my 97 sounded nothing like this..i like a very smooth deep mellow tone that comes alive at wide open throttle but no abnoxiousley loud..whats you guys suggestions..everyone is saying its not the headers or h pipe its the catback..this thing has to been changed..also my car laid down 605 rwhp and 578 ft pds of tq...hate to introduce myself with such a long email but i wanted to get my point across and get some advice..thanks in advance fella's......Brent

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
Brent, your post is extremely hard to read with those trained periods and being 1 big paragraph.

Second, the 3" Mac system is sought by many people (me being one) so PM me if you would like to trade for a stock catback with flowmaster weld ins. But even if you don't want to trade, check out youtube for sound clips. A 3" catback with 2.5" piping for the midpipe is a good setup at your rwhp level. If you are going to boost it more, I highly suggest keeping the 3" catback and looking into a 3" midpipe.

Many people like the Magnaflow mufflers, may want to look into those. Also, check out HorsepowerJunkies.com that is a bunch of us locals.

nc_super_snake

Established Member
Cracker, so you think possibly the glass pack sound im getting is maybe the pipes transitioning for the 2.5 to the 3"? I know on my supra until i went to full 4'' all the way back and it was 3'' midpipe to a 4'' catback it had a glass pack sound.This is what i couldnt understand,i seen where every one wants the Mac 3'' catback,if it was so sought after why i didnt like it!!!LOL!!or possibly if this is just a sound charateristic of the 03 04 car (glass pack sound)??Thanks for your input man!!!!

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
No the sound is ALL a result of the Mac system as well as the longtubes and off road h pipe, not the transition from 2.5" to 3" The first thing I would try would be this:
Mac 03-04 Cobra Off-Road Shorty ProChamber (Use w/Mac Longtubes) [MAC-PC4900] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

-or-

Lethal Performance 03-04 Cobra Catted X-Pipe for Mac LT Headers [LP-MACLTCATSHRTX] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

Cats will help with the loudness some plus make it easier to pass inspection if that ever becomes an issue. Lethal Performance is a Vendor on here and may be able to do a little better on the price of their midpipe if you call them.

After that swap if the car is still too loud, look into some different mufflers. I am pretty sure you can get Flowmaster weld-ins that are 3" inlet and 3" outlet, so a chambered muffler will help with sound, but you will likely lose a little HP.

Users who are viewing this thread