My 04 Dies randomly at higher speeds, starting to lose patience....

Blakers01GT

Established Member
Ok, 04 Cobra with Borla Stingers, and FIPK. There is a certain exit home that when I start steering right and press the clutch in to brake and slow down it will die. In the 6,800 mile life, it has done this on the same exit about 3 or 4 times and I've had to catch the wheel and restart it while I'm coasting. Now I have had battery problems since day one with this car, had ford recharge it etc under warrenty..

Well, tonight I'm driving home and going about 70ish and I slow down to get off a different exit, soon as I press the clutch in, start veering right it dies on me :( Is this a coincidence that it's only when I veer right? This is not safe and one of these times I'm not gonna be able to catch it and run over a curb or another car etc. It's getting annoying to say the least. Do you guys have any suggestions? What would make the car die like this? And if I take it in will they blame it on my FIPK? Because this has happened once before I installed the FIPK so.... I'm clueless, wondering if anyone has had similar problems, thanks...

Blake

Last edited:

mike69440

Established Member
High speeds, Crosswinds, and your CAI mess up the MAF, but Cobra's are prone to stalling ANYWAY. Unless you have a customer oreinted dealer who will not bouce it back to a Ford Zone office rep, Ford will do nothing for you. As like myself, you have Modded, and if you chash and die, I hape you estate has a good Lawyer, cause Ford has many. It is a shame Ford will not reburn mildy Modded cars to help the stalling issue. I suggest you contact a good tuner or SCT or Dialblo directly. They can help

Blakers01GT

Established Member
mike69440 said:
High speeds, Crosswinds, and your CAI mess up the MAF, but Cobra's are prone to stalling ANYWAY. Unless you have a customer oreinted dealer who will not bouce it back to a Ford Zone office rep, Ford will do nothing for you. As like myself, you have Modded, and if you chash and die, I hape you estate has a good Lawyer, cause Ford has many. It is a shame Ford will not reburn mildy Modded cars to help the stalling issue. I suggest you contact a good tuner or SCT or Dialblo directly. They can help

well with my old GT, when I had pulley's, gears, CAI, exhaust. they never questioned me, always fixed it, and THEY WERE a SVT dealership so I think I'll go back there.

and When in doubt, couldn't I just throw the stock induction back on? :shrug:

93Snake

check where the filter and the MAF meet, make sure the seal is good and there is no possibility you are allowing unmetered air to enter the engine. This happen to a friend of mine with an aircharger setup installed, he didn't have a good seal between the 2 and was complaining of the same problem you are having. If that doesn't work I would then try to find a SCT or Diablo dealer, hook up the car on the dyno and have everything checked out

z-eater

stock with pulley
Established Member
i had a same probleem with my, it usually was hapening when i was going to slow down or downshift, it just needs to be reetuned by ford or somebody else.

XxColdAzFireXx

Boosted SVT Poster
Established Member
If you have one, check the IAC valve, if that's clogged up or dirty for any reason, it can cause that kind of event. Well, at least it does on Contour SVTs. Just a thought.

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
I had this problem, and I got ford to reflash it, and it works fine now. They also replaced the IAC. They did this with intake/exhaust on the car. If that doesn't work, you can always just get a chip, and raise the idle. My car idles at 1050 rpm (both idles) and no stalling.

mike69440

Established Member
You restore my faith in Humankind

Blakers01GT said:
well with my old GT, when I had pulley's, gears, CAI, exhaust. they never questioned me, always fixed it, and THEY WERE a SVT dealership so I think I'll go back there.

and When in doubt, couldn't I just throw the stock induction back on? :shrug:

A Ford Dealer that cares about the performance enthusiast.

WoW! I heard of such things! Good for you. Good Luck!

Check that everything is installed correctly first before you bring it in, otherwise and rightfully so, they will charge you.

ncc386

Established Member
Blakers01GT said:
Ok, 04 Cobra with Borla Stingers, and FIPK. There is a certain exit home that when I start steering right and press the clutch in to brake and slow down it will die. In the 6,800 mile life, it has done this on the same exit about 3 or 4 times and I've had to catch the wheel and restart it while I'm coasting. Now I have had battery problems since day one with this car, had ford recharge it etc under warrenty..

Well, tonight I'm driving home and going about 70ish and I slow down to get off a different exit, soon as I press the clutch in, start veering right it dies on me :( Is this a coincidence that it's only when I veer right? This is not safe and one of these times I'm not gonna be able to catch it and run over a curb or another car etc. It's getting annoying to say the least. Do you guys have any suggestions? What would make the car die like this? And if I take it in will they blame it on my FIPK? Because this has happened once before I installed the FIPK so.... I'm clueless, wondering if anyone has had similar problems, thanks...

Blake
What is your PCM code? AMZ1?

BruntzySVT

Established Member
Dude check your FIPK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A day after i had my fipk installed it was cold and it stalled 3 times when id come to a break, never did it again after that day BUT on the highway everytime id break fast my car would die! MAKE SURE YOUR FIPK FILTER IS ON ALL THE WAY AND TIGHTENED! mine was off and thats why!

Users who are viewing this thread