My 1997 Taurus SHO Vids (3.4L V8)

john_o

New SHO Poster
Established Member
Ok guys, I shot a few vids today and uploaded them. There aren't a lot of vids of the Gen III SHO's avalible, so I figured I'd do the honors. :) Hope y'all like 'em!!

Rev (stock exhaust, 3rd cat removed):
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/886a8bf5-56c8-4863-b367-f9e519b9e4f3.htm

Run through 2nd gear. I wanted to let everyone listen to the music this motor makes as it climbs all the way to 7000 RPM's. Also, note how it all of a sudden gets much louder at 3400 RPM's; that's the secondary intake runners opening up. I get to hear that thanks to my K&N cone filter:
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/f092518a-d7e8-4208-bc39-036788e886ca.htm

And finally, just a run up to a cool 120 MPH: :coolman:
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/f870f0b5-b0b4-4aa3-b2b1-9d19201a0c95.htm

That's all for now. Give me a few days and I'll shoot the same vids with an unbolted exhaust. :rockon: :burnout:

Ok, here's one vid. Just revving:
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/7a95cb80-ca75-4481-9d3e-5dd30003b501.htm

Yeah, I didn't know it was blowing my camera around under there, but it made for a neat effect in the end, IMO. :thumbsup:

~John

Last edited:

john_o

New SHO Poster
Established Member
ezernut9mm said:
sounds sweet. :coolman:

Faster150 said:
sounds bad ass man! i wish they still made them motors

Thanks guys, glad you like it!! :D I really wish they still made that motor too, it's so incredibly unique. Cept it desperately needs a stick. A 6spd would be amazing. Also, they should've dropped it into like a Contour or even a Focus. Just pipe dreams, but it'd be sweet :thumbsup:

And yes, they're welded

~John

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
As KFRG631 said, get the cams welded or you'll have the choice of spending enough money on a new engine to buy a new car, or buying a new car.

john_o

New SHO Poster
Established Member
Pudmunkies said:
Keep your V8 outta my contour, I like my duratec :p

Sounds great.

Thanks man, I appreciate the kind words.

But here's an interesting note for ya. The 3.4L V8 is actually the 2.5L Duratec with 2 more cylinders added on. ;)

From Wikipedia:
"Bore and stroke were identical to the Duratec 2.5 at 82.4 mm and 79.5 mm, respectively. The engines shared other traits as well, and insiders report that the designs are related, though not closely. One sign of such similarity is that the two engines share the same bellhousing pattern."

But I'll just stick with putting one in a Focus then. It's lighter anyways. :p lol

~John

ford5.0forlife

Dead Stop
Established Member
john_o said:

But here's an interesting note for ya. The 3.4L V8 is actually the 2.5L Duratec with 2 more cylinders added on. ;)

From Wikipedia:
"Bore and stroke were identical to the Duratec 2.5 at 82.4 mm and 79.5 mm, respectively. The engines shared other traits as well, and insiders report that the designs are related, though not closely. One sign of such similarity is that the two engines share the same bellhousing pattern."

But I'll just stick with putting one in a Focus then. It's lighter anyways. :p lol

~John

So wait, same bellhousing means a 5spd swap is feasible? Has anyone done it?

95kobrah

Established Member
ford5.0forlife said:
So wait, same bellhousing means a 5spd swap is feasible? Has anyone done it?

yea, can anyone verify this??? Its the only reason i wont get one... if they had a 5 or 6spd thad be my new DD!

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
There have only been a handful of people (if that many) that have successfully mated a manual transmission to the SHO V8.

Pudmunkies

Established Member
maniak87 said:
i would gladly take a sho v8 in my contour anyday!!! anyone done the swap? is it even possible?

Done, no.

Possible? Maybe. But why bother? Whats the highest HP coming out of one of those V8's?

400whp out of a 2.5 and 400+ out of a 3.0 duratec.

ford5.0forlife

Dead Stop
Established Member
Team Dave said:
How fast are those in the 1/4th?

the v8 sho's hit about low 16's or bottom 16's. The mtx v6 sho's are about 3/4 to 1 sec quicker in the 1/4. But to be honest i've always been partial to the v8 sho's cause of the rarity (welded ones that is :-D ). I really would like more info on the Contour Manual trans swap!

Here's a vid of my friends and I using my nitrous kit to blow up an old ass sable 3.8 rodnocked, that my friend is putting a 3.2 (mtx trans) and full bolton swap in.

BOOM!

DDogsrt461BLK

Video God
Established Member
john_o said:

From Wikipedia:

~John

You do know your stuff. I was about to chime in, and say it's a 2.5 24v V6, with to extra cylinders, but you beat me to it. The older manual SHO's I thought were a little quicker then the V8 auto. I'm not much fan of a that style, but I did love the older 3.0 5sd SHO. Yamaha designed that engine, and man did they do it right. The intake was beautiful to look at, but a pain to take apart. 1 of the first 4 dr performance fwds that I remember liking. :-D

Users who are viewing this thread