My 2013 Shelby GT500 vs C7 Z06

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
Hey everyone, I got my 2013 Shelby GT500 about a month ago and I was out driving tonight and came up against a C7 Z06. I just got my car and I know I'm playing with fire a bit because I haven't had it to a tuner yet, but I couldn't resist. I'm going to set up some time with Lidio at Alternative Auto Performance in the near future.

Anyway, my car has a few minor mods:

Whipple CAI
Whipple Twin 68MM TB
Metco 2.40" pulley
Metco Auxiliary Idler Kit
ARS Belt Tensioner
MGW Shifter
NGK Plugs

So we line up and run and he pulls away from me pretty easily.

I slow down and he says lets hit it from 50 on 3. I'm in 3rd gear and we both hit it and I stay with him for a couple seconds and then he walks away from me like I'm in a station wagon.

So, we slow down further down the road and I ask if he's stock and he says "yes", which I thought may not be true because of how he just walked me. He asks if I am and I said no, I have a different pulley and couple other light mods. He then asks "upper or lower" and then asks where I got the work done so I give him the details and I ask how many HP he's running and he "doesn't know" because it's stock and he just got it.

So I'm thinking to myself, this guy knows enough to ask what pulley I replaced and where I got it tuned, but he's totally clueless to what HP his stock Z06 is running?

Are those cars that fast stock?

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
Stock to stock GT500 Is Down Over A Second To 100MPH. It’s gonna be hard to truly know, did it sound catless or smell like ethanol? Especially if the guy just got it he could be truly clueless too and could be tuned.

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
Stock to stock GT500 Is Down Over A Second To 100MPH. It’s gonna be hard to truly know, did it sound catless or smell like ethanol? Especially if the guy just got it he could be truly clueless too and could be tuned.

Couldn’t tell if it was catless.

Just seemed to pull away a lot easier than I thought a stock one would.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MustangSteve1965

Established Member

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Forgot to mention, Z06 driver was by himself and I was with my son who weighs 220lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
That’s worth close to a car length… my buddy and I had pretty equal 14s in terms of mods and power… we usually stayed locked door to door… however he had a buddy with him on one of the pulls and I managed to rouggly put a car on him..

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I'll almost guarantee that Z06 was not stock. But a couple things to keep in mind, our 2nd gear goes to 85mph shifting at 6,500. So if you're doing a 50 roll or 60 roll be in 2nd gear and it will jump hard on whoever you race, also what tires are you running? 315/35R20 Nitto 555R2 drag radials are going to be your best friend.
Here is a video of my stock 13 GT500 going 60 to 160, I start in 2nd at 60 and I'm shifting around 6,800

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
I'll almost guarantee that Z06 was not stock. But a couple things to keep in mind, our 2nd gear goes to 85mph shifting at 6,500. So if you're doing a 50 roll or 60 roll be in 2nd gear and it will jump hard on whoever you race, also what tires are you running? 315/35R20 Nitto 555R2 drag radials are going to be your best friend.
Here is a video of my stock 13 GT500 going 60 to 160, I start in 2nd at 60 and I'm shifting around 6,800
Nice pull and good to know!

It looks like the person from whom I bought it has the shift light set at 4500 RPMs for whatever reason.

LS WUT

Established Member
Nice runs man. That’s for sure. My bestfriend had a C7 Z06 M7, and I have my 13 GT500 stock with just Corsa Xtreme catback. We did a few races recently, both started in 2nd at about 45 or so. Was dead nuts both times I’d say. Both had passengers. I have a video from a run we did a while ago. 60-150. I got him good, however it turns out his bank sensor was going out and we didn’t realize it until after. She pulled a lot of timing, that’s why I won by a big. 3rd gear at 50 isn’t gonna do you much Justice at all. At 40-45 I’m at about 3200-3300 in 2nd gear.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Yea, that tells me there is no way that guy's Z06 was stock.

yeah…. For sure. I will say that you being in 3rd gear at 50 is a great way to “handicap” your car… terrible spot to start the race in…. Driver makes the car, not the other way around.

learn your gears and learn where your power-band is… dont run anyone else’s race, specially a car that is supposed to be faster….

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

Sound advice...

You gotta be in the right gear for a roll, OP. Continue getting to know the car and be prepared next time!

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
One think I forgot to mention. When I replaced the battery the steering and shocks went back to regular mode instead of sport mode. Not sure if that has an impact?

I went out tonight and hit it in 2nd gear at 50MPH. Quite a difference!

Users who are viewing this thread