My 5-lug plans, look okay?

Dan

Established Member
I am trying to finalize my plan for my upcoming five lug conversion and brake upgrade. Please let me know if you see anything I missed or if you have any other feedback.

Thanks,
Dan

Project objective: Convert to 5 Lug setup with 2003 Cobra brakes front and back and 10th Anniversary rims with 275/40/17 Kumho Ecsta XS tires.

Plan overview: 94-95 Spindles up front with SN95 rear axles. Complete 94-04 Cobra brakes all around. 9” 26mm offset 6.12 BS 5-lug 17” OEM rims.

Specifics of the plan:
94-95 spindles up front with new hubs. If using 9” 24mm offset 5.95 BS rims up front all would be good as is (see relevant info from Matt's brake page below). However, since I will be using 26mm offset 6.12 BS rims a spacer will be appropriate to keep it from rubbing on the inside since it would otherwise be 0.17 inches more inboard 6.12”-5.95”=0.17”). Given some have experienced inside rub even with the 5.95 BS it makes sense to go with 0.25” (1/4”) spacers versus the 0.125” (1/8”) spacers. Longer lugs will be used if needed to ensure 6 turns of lug nuts. Fenders will be rolled for maximum clearance and rack limiters will be installed to prevent rub. SN95 X-2 ball joints will be used to provide correct geometry for stock fox control arms with the SN95 spindles. Special camber bolts will be installed to provide enough adjustment for desired negative camber settings (MM 3-Bolt caster camber plates are already installed).

2003 Cobra brakes will be installed all around. The kit comes with brackets, disk plates, SN95 lines, calibers, pads, and rotors. A brake line adapter from MM will be needed to allow connection to existing lines on car. Will stick with the 93 Cobra master cylinder and lines. Others have upgraded to this setup on other foxes when upgrading to these brakes with good success and nice peddle feel. In necessary a booster will be added, In back, will go with SN95 axles. These axles are recommended (see info below) when using the 36mm offset 6.42 BS 9” rim. Since I will be using 26mm offset 6.12 BS rims these are expected to be outboard an additional 0.3 inches which should be a non-factor. Some have experience rub on the inside with the standard choices so being out a little should be fine. A panhard bar is installed as are adjustable lower control arms to help in tweaking placement as necessary to minimize possible rub and the fenders will be rolled.

Relevant Excerpts from Matt’s Brake Pages:

Up Front:
If you are going 9" wide wheels, then you will need to run the 94-95 spindles. You will need to run the 24mm offset and 5.95" BS for the 9" wide wheels. Expect the wheel to rub on the back of the A arm on the jacking pad. You can alleviate this by grinding the jacking pad off and/or using the Ford rack limiters.

Out Back:
Out back the wheel selection is up to the axle length that you use. If you keep the stock track, you can run the same wheels front and rear when you run a 9" wide wheel like the R58 Cobra R rims. If you use the SN95 axles (1994-1998 Mustang) they are 3/4" wider per side than the stockers. Now if you are going to use 9" wide wheels on the Sn95 axles, then you need a special offset wheel out back like the M179 Cobra R wheel that uses a 36mm offset and 6.42" BS. This will stick the wheel back in so it clears the fender opening on the body. With the longer axles out back, you will have to use 2 different wheels to run 9" wide rims, thus the stock rear track is preferred here.

79-93 5 Lug Info (Matt's) Wheel Fitment Info (Matt's)

Shopping List:
Ford Racing Black Cobra Brake Upgrade Kit (Front and Rear)
MM Brake fitting adapter, 1994-04 Mustang brakes on FOX

94-95 Spindles
Steering Rack Limiters N804842-S

Ball Joints for SN95 Front on Fox
Front Hubs
Camber Bolts from Napa to allow for additional 2 deg of neg camber.
Front 1/4” Spacers
Longer Front Studs (If needed)
SN95 Axles
10th Anniversary rims
275/40/17 Kumho Ecsta XS
Plan to get wheels and tires (w/lug nuts included) mounted from Tire Rack.

Last edited:

Blaine@PSI

Established Member
here is mine. I used all of the stock calipers and pads with a upgrade on the rotor to a larger dia. and fox body length axles. the wheel placement is perfect and i run a 6.42BS up front and 5.98 rear.

no fender are rolled and have not had any rubbing inside or out.

cobra3.jpg

cobra1.jpg

cobra4.jpg

i am running stock 03 cobra brakes up front with 04 GT spindles and stainless lines the rear is a lincoln mark vii lsc rear rotor. 275/40 in rear and 255/40 in front. get with this guy on ebay his name is Chris neighbors and his ebay list name is neighbor_industries his brackets work perfect for the rear.

red95gts

Established Member
Maybe I missed it, but is the car lowered? Stock K-member and A-arms?

I think you're going to struggle to fit a 275/40 up front, especially with a 1/4" spacer. I have a thread going on the Corral right now about putting a 275/40 on a Fox. As is typical for that place, half the responses are pure conjecture, but there are a few educated responses. I think the general consensus was that if it fits, it'll be a tight fit. Unless you are dead-set on the 275/40, you might reconsider a 255/40 or a 245/45 for the front. 275/40 should be no problem in the rear.

Like Blaine mentioned, Chris' brackets are outstanding and would allow you to retain the "regular" Fox flange-to-flange measurement. IMHO, the 96+ rear ends (with the 99+ being the worst) make the wheels sit too far outboard on a Fox.

Good Luck

red95gts

Established Member
the wheel placement is perfect and i run a 6.42BS up front and 5.98 rear.

i am running stock 03 cobra brakes up front with 04 GT spindles

The 6.42" BS fronts do look perfect with the wider 96+ front spindles. Now, stop posting those pics - they're making me want to mod my Cobra now.. :)

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
I think you're going to struggle to fit a 275/40 up front, especially with a 1/4" spacer.

I agree. the 275 is to wide for the front of a foxbody. You will lose turning radius because it will rub
Stick with a 255/40 on the front

Dan

Established Member
Thank you

Thanks to all for the feedback, insight, and guidance.

With the 6.12 backspacing on the rims I selected, it is a little bit different situation than others have done.

Getting 275's up front is certainly a goal for the added grip racing and the benefit of being able to rotate the tires.

- Dan

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Are you doing a tubular k member/ a-arm conversion as well?

If you are maintaining stock a-arms on the front, I don't think you will get a 6.12 BS wheel to work.
Definitely will be interesting to see what you come up with

Dan

Established Member
Are you doing a tubular k member/ a-arm conversion as well?

If you are maintaining stock a-arms on the front, I don't think you will get a 6.12 BS wheel to work.
Definitely will be interesting to see what you come up with

Stock k member and a-arm. Though the jacking pad will be ground off and rack limiters will be installed. Plan is to use small spacers if needed to give similar placement to a standard 5.95 BS wheel.

- Dan

Dan

Established Member
sn95 axles are longer but will work if you are running disc brakes

I am still trying to determine which would be a better choice, the fox length from North Racecars with their brackets or the 94-95 axles.

As stated in the plan above I had thought that the SN95 would be the best fit and would be the best way to avoid a rub on the inside from the 6.12 backspacing. However, I have been digging through gobs of searches on the corral and am now leaning toward the fox length. I think I could go either way, but I am now thinking the fox length is a safer bet. I can always add a small spacer if needed (to make it comparable to a 5.95 BS) and it would also give me better flexibility if I ever do want to through a set of 5.95BS wheels on the car.

- Dan

Blaine@PSI

Established Member
I am still trying to determine which would be a better choice, the fox length from North Racecars with their brackets or the 94-95 axles.

As stated in the plan above I had thought that the SN95 would be the best fit and would be the best way to avoid a rub on the inside from the 6.12 backspacing. However, I have been digging through gobs of searches on the corral and am now leaning toward the fox length. I think I could go either way, but I am now thinking the fox length is a safer bet. I can always add a small spacer if needed (to make it comparable to a 5.95 BS) and it would also give me better flexibility if I ever do want to through a set of 5.95BS wheels on the car.

- Dan

my thoughts exactly you can spacers and cant take away wheel BS very easily or axle tube.

also stay far away from north race cars brackets they suck balls hard....!!!! i cannot stress this enough every set i have seen had to be modified to fit. the main reason is the the axle tube in 93 cobras for some reason are "stepped" more than other fox body axles and the brackets does not fit accordingly.

JimJr

I Like Curves
Established Member
I ran the 10th Ann Wheels with 275/40's for a while and they worked okay with spring isolaters (to raise the front a 1/2") and with a bunch of negitive camber. Rears were no issue but rolling the rear fender is still a good idea and you may have to flip the quads. FYI, I have 95 spindles, near fox length axles, Steeda Sport springs, and no spacers.

Dan

Established Member
my thoughts exactly you can spacers and cant take away wheel BS very easily or axle tube.

also stay far away from north race cars brackets they suck balls hard....!!!! i cannot stress this enough every set i have seen had to be modified to fit. the main reason is the the axle tube in 93 cobras for some reason are "stepped" more than other fox body axles and the brackets does not fit accordingly.

Thanks for your guidance. I am now convinced with going with the fox length axles. I intend to go with 2003 Cobra brakes front and back. General consensus among foxes with this setup has appeared to be to use the NRC brackets. Clearly this is not your opinion. From what I can tell there are other 93 Cobra's successfully using them (though they could have a non-Cobra rear in the car it is hard to tell). I am certainly interested in thoughts on an alternative or further insight on the problems you have experienced and your resolution. I assume that the link you shared would continue to use my existing rear calipers and pads and requires using the Mark VII rotors, correct?

Dan

Established Member
I ran the 10th Ann Wheels with 275/40's for a while and they worked okay with spring isolaters (to raise the front a 1/2") and with a bunch of negitive camber. Rears were no issue but rolling the rear fender is still a good idea and you may have to flip the quads. FYI, I have 95 spindles, near fox length axles, Steeda Sport springs, and no spacers.
Very encouraging, thanks for your feedback. Sounds like your setup was very close to what I am planning. I too plan to run as much negative camber as I can, did you have to do anything special to accomplish this? I have the MM CC plates and will be using the Steeda X2 ball joints, but I understand getting more than -2 degrees can be challenging.

Can you please share specifics on the axles and brackets you used? Were you using 94-04 Cobra brakes all around?

Thanks for the help!

red95gts

Established Member
Thanks for your guidance. I am now convinced with going with the fox length axles. I intend to go with 2003 Cobra brakes front and back. General consensus among foxes with this setup has appeared to be to use the NRC brackets. Clearly this is not your opinion. From what I can tell there are other 93 Cobra's successfully using them (though they could have a non-Cobra rear in the car it is hard to tell). I am certainly interested in thoughts on an alternative or further insight on the problems you have experienced and your resolution. I assume that the link you shared would continue to use my existing rear calipers and pads and requires using the Mark VII rotors, correct?

Correct - Blaine's setup uses the factory 93 calipers with the Mark VII rotor. Alternately, the same seller makes a bracket for the 94+ brakes (both GT and Cobra), which is what I use. Fox-width 5-lug axles and 94+ calipers and rotors.

I've also never been impressed with the NRC brackets, but for the longest time, they were about the only option. The brackets Blaine refers to are definitely the way to go. The seller is a good friend of mine and I can assure you they are the real deal.

Best of Luck!

JimJr

I Like Curves
Established Member
I too plan to run as much negative camber as I can, did you have to do anything special to accomplish this? I have the MM CC plates and will be using the Steeda X2 ball joints, but I understand getting more than -2 degrees can be challenging.

Can you please share specifics on the axles and brackets you used? Were you using 94-04 Cobra brakes all around?

Nothing sepecial here, I have the Steeda CC plates, X2 ball joints, and I've had no problem getting almost -3* camber.

I bought my 5-lug kit from Baer. It is basically 95 Cobra front brakes, 96 Camero/Vette rear brakes, axles are about 1/8" longer than fox axles, and I have no idea where they got the brackets.

TENTH_ANN_WHEELS.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread