My car is too loud!

TheJeanyus

Established Member
My current setup is a ProChamber and Borla Stingers, and it's just way too loud at cruise. It doesn't really "drone" that bad, the exhaust itself is just so loud that my friend says it actually shakes his gas pedal when he's in the car behind me. What mufflers do you guys recommend that I can get welded into my Borla catback (in place of the XR-1 mufflers) that will quiet it down? I want a straight through type muffler that is really quiet when cruising around. Ideas?

Fdawg97lx

Established Member
get the quieter borl'a or steeda's (they are the same). i went from a prochamber/stinger set up to a prochamber/steeda set up and am happy witht he results. these mufflers have the same agressive tone as the stingers but they are a lot quieter

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
TheJeanyus said:
Does anyone know which series Borla mufflers (Pro-XS, Turbo XL, etc) are in the 14858 catback?

Just call Borla. They can give you all the specifics. If you can find someone with a Borla 14858 CB or Steeda CB that is willing to trade for Stingers, all you have to swap out is the muffler section. Saves a little time, and hassle :)

TheJeanyus

Established Member
427Windsorman said:
Just call Borla. They can give you all the specifics. If you can find someone with a Borla 14858 CB or Steeda CB that is willing to trade for Stingers, all you have to swap out is the muffler section. Saves a little time, and hassle :)
That's a really good idea!

...so you wanna trade? :D

03TrchRedCobra

Established Member
Why not put a mac c/b on there? mines pretty quiet at idle & at cruise but at qot it's so damn loud. i promise you will like it more then borla lol.

TheJeanyus

Established Member
03TrchRedCobra said:
Why not put a mac c/b on there? mines pretty quiet at idle & at cruise but at qot it's so damn loud. i promise you will like it more then borla lol.
I'm not a big fan of chambered mufflers on 4v's. I've heard that setup, and it's not really the sound I'm looking for. I love the tone and all of the characteristics of my exhaust (popping on decel, racey exotic sound, etc), but the volume really drives me nuts on long trips (i.e., 700+ miles in a weekend is not fun).

03TrchRedCobra

Established Member
I hear ya man. I think what makes mine appealing to me is having the Kooks on there. They made the car sound great. Is your pro chamber o/r or catted? Have you heard a catted mid pipe with the Stingers to see how you like it?

TheJeanyus

Established Member
It's O/R. The only other midpipe I've run is the stock H, which sounded great. In fact, I'd be happy to have that volume level again, maybe even a little quieter than that. The only other midpipe I've heard was a Bassani O/R X with Stingers on a '01 and it sounded like shit.

I think before it's all said and done I may end up with a catted X and the quiet Borlas.

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
TheJeanyus said:
That's a really good idea!

...so you wanna trade? :D

I like my quiet Borla too much, lol. It is awesome now with the stock mid-pipe, but I will soon have the MRT catted H on it, and that should be even better :-D

If you post in the classifieds about trading the stinger muffler section for the muffler section of the Borla 14858 or Steeda, I am willing to bet someone will be willing. Post on this site, and some of the other bid Modular sites :)

Good luck :beer:

Last edited:

TheJeanyus

Established Member
427Windsorman said:
I like the my quiet Borla too much, lol. It is awesome now with the stock mid-pipe, but I will soon have the MRT catted H on it, and that should be even better :-D

If you post in the classifieds about trading the stinger muffler section for the muffler section of the Borla 14858 or Steeda, I am willing to bet someone will be willing. Post on this site, and some of the other bid Modular sites :)

Good luck :beer:
I'm awaiting an email back from Borla, then depending which mufflers those are I might do just that. :banana:

djtyau

Established Member
What did you expect with an O/R mid-pipe? Any time you run a mid-pipe without cats it gets really stupid loud. I have the catted prochamber and stingers and I think it sounds good.

Users who are viewing this thread