My car ticks under acceleration at low rpm, but it's not "the tick"

Jorday

Established Member
Under light acceleration My car makes a ticking that sounds to me just like an exhaust manifold leak. It's not very loud and you can't hear it at higher rpm or at idle. I thought I read about another guy having this noise and it turned out to be something other than an exhaust leak, but I looked and looked for it and couldn't find it.

I've watched a bunch of videos of "the tick" and that is definitely not what I have.

U1arunit

10 Second Club
Established Member
If you installed a different mid pipe you could have an exhaust leak at the manifold to pipe connection. I went thru the same thing before I found out that was my problem.

bRa_DeN

#5449/8394
Established Member
my catted slp x-pipe does the same thing, I fixed it once by replacing the manifold bolts. Then I took the car to the ford dealer for them to replace my clutch under warranty and I got the car back and now my leak it back. But I am not too concerned about it

bRa_DeN

#5449/8394
Established Member
I probably will end up taking my car back to the dealer within a few weeks and have them fix it. I spent almost $50-60 on 3 bolts from ford last time to fix the problem. Supposedly napa makes a bolt kit that allows bigger exhaust piping to clamp down better, do a search and you will find the part #

Jorday

Established Member
The only mod done to my car is a catback, but the sound is coming from the engine it sounds like. I'm all stock otherwise.

vipergts281

Established Member
Check your spark plugs and make sure they are tight!!

I thought I had an exhaust leak one day, then about 30 minutes later I blew a spark plug. And about $600 later, the problem was fixed.

CHECK THEM ASAP.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
vipergts281 said:

I thought I had an exhaust leak one day, then about 30 minutes later I blew a spark plug. And about $600 later, the problem was fixed.

CHECK THEM ASAP.

VERY GOOD POINT!!!!

nothingelse

03SilverSnake
Established Member
vipergts281 said:

CHECK THEM ASAP.

Yeah that is a good point on my old 00 GT I though I had an exhaust leak eventually one of the spark plugs popped out and almost 3,000 later it was fixed with a new head. Then what do you know 8 months later the same thing happened to the other side. Then the guy at the dealership tells me to lay off the gas :poke: I was like WTF this is a muscle car its supposed to be driven like you stole it. :rockon:

Jorday

Established Member
Damn...I called the dealer and gave them my VIN. They told me that my warranty had expired yesterday so that sucks.

Thanks for the info guys. I will have a look at the plugs. Anybody else have any ideas?

WDW MKR

Established Member
Is it a tick or a rattle? If it's a rattle at low-rpm, it's probably detonation. Don't try to accelerate from too low of an rpm, especially in the higher gears... it puts too much load on the engine.

Users who are viewing this thread