My clutch/shifter issues

acrbill

Established Member
I know there are several posts on the issue however I am pretty much running the gamut as far as all the issues are concerned. So I will toss it out for others who may be having similar issues.

My car is a very early build date. Sometime in the last week of March-2010.

When I brought the car in initially it had ~3,600 miles on it.

I brought my car in a few weeks ago to get the fuel gauge TSB taken care of. While it was in I also had them do the Cold shift effort TSB 11-3-18 which replaces the stock fill with "dual clutch fluid".

When I picked the car up from the dealer I immediately noticed that there was a bind in the clutch pedal throw near the top. When releasing the pedal it would bind and then release which would cause the pedal to slap up onto my foot.
I drove it around and the more miles I put on it the worse the situation got. It got to the point that the clutch disengages really close to the floor and will not go into gear if I try to quickly shift. It also has the popular "pedal gets stuck to the floor if you shift above 6,000 RPM" issue.

I showed up to the dealer with the clutch pedal TSB 10-19-04 in hand. They ordered the part and I dropped the car off this morning.

I just got a call from my service adviser and he said the pedals were in but the clutch still feels "off" compared to one they have on the lot.

He said he found a "service message" that mentioned clutch bolts coming loose. He explained that the message differed from the TSB insofar that it did not offer a detailed remedy, just the facts.

I will update this thread in a few days once they drop the trans.

stang910

Established Member
I just got my car back from the dealership for the same problems. The flywheel bolts were coming loose. Got the clutch pedal tsb done and a new flywheel, clutch assembly, and bolts. Car shifts butter smooth again. My other 5.0 is starting to show the same symptoms, both have 4/11 build dates.

A friend of mine has the same problems, but took it to another dealership and they're giving him a hard time about it saying the only way something like this can happen is from racing.

AmnDucky

Established Member
I just got my car back from the dealership for the same problems. The flywheel bolts were coming loose. Got the clutch pedal tsb done and a new flywheel, clutch assembly, and bolts. Car shifts butter smooth again. My other 5.0 is starting to show the same symptoms, both have 4/11 build dates.

A friend of mine has the same problems, but took it to another dealership and they're giving him a hard time about it saying the only way something like this can happen is from racing.

Tell him to take it to another dealership.

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
+1.

I just got mine back today from the trans fluid TSB. Felt great leaving the dealership. Lets hope it still feels that way after another week or so.

I'm in the same boat. If it feels like this forever and ever i will be happy.

281Thunder

Established Member
I'll be taking my in on Monday 4/4 for the TSB's. The guy in service at the dealership didn't know about them off hand but said he could check them by VIN. I plan to print out the TSB's just in case they say they don't know. I've heard good things and bad things about having this work done...guess we'll see.

acrbill

Established Member
I spoke with the service adviser yesterday and he informed me that they were waiting on a call back from a Ford engineer.

I got a call back early this morning that the engineer instructed them to replace the pressure plate bolts.

I have a feeling that if pressure plate bolts backed out, the clutch and possibly flywheel would get beat up.

They said the parts should come in and the job finished sometime early next week.

281Thunder

Established Member
Dropped it off this morning, can't say I'm satisfied so far. They did not want to give me a rental for the day based on the TSB, only because I had the extended warranty (then he made it sound like a hassle so I said forget it, I have another car I can drive). I told him that the TSB should be reason for one, and he only replied with "yeah, but we haven't looked at it yet"...as if I was lieing about it. I don't care what they "find", they're gonna do the work in the TSB regardless. I'm waiting on a call right now to see what they have to say. They were gonna let it sit for a few hours to let it "cool off" to see about the shifter.

Looks like I'm getting the dealership that is gonna deny a problem. Oh well, they wanna play that game, I'll go higher next time.

ViciousJay

Established Member
I spoke with the service adviser yesterday and he informed me that they were waiting on a call back from a Ford engineer.

I got a call back early this morning that the engineer instructed them to replace the pressure plate bolts.

I have a feeling that if pressure plate bolts backed out, the clutch and possibly flywheel would get beat up.

They said the parts should come in and the job finished sometime early next week.

start screaming that you want a new clutch.... replacing the bolts only wont help

acrbill

Established Member
Service adviser called and said the car is done. They replaced the bolts and the clutch feels just like the other cars on the lot. At first I was going to make a stink about the clutch being damaged but I am just going to run the car through its paces and if it is ****ed up the car will be close to being called a lemon in IL. I also have a good rapport with the dealership and I don't want to ruin it by being a psycho hot head.

acrbill

Established Member
So I picked the car up from the dealer today. The first thing I noticed was that the pedal seemed stiffer than ever. Now it engages at the very top of the travel and everything seems smooth. It took some getting used to the car again since its been in the shop for awhile and I was out in San Francisco for work and had a rental 2010 v6 vert.

acrbill

Established Member
I just wanted to give an update to this thread.

All was well until recently. I had the clutch pedal stick to the floor three times in one day and now I am starting to feel a hitch at the top of the pedal travel again.

I just ordered a clutch and I am hoping this will end my issues.

For awhile I was just thinking of trading in for an auto trans car. I just so happened to rent an auto 2011 GT and that is no longer an option. It was just too bland for me.

I will update when I get the clutch in.

I went with a Ram Powergrip HD clutch for those wondering.

Entrenched

Established Member
clutch

I just finished putting in my clutch yesterday. I was having trouble with getting the car into gear and the clutch not releasing. Also the pedal release was on the floor.

Took out the transmission and voila; two pressure plate bolts backed out and the plate fingers are not flat and the wear pattern on the throw out bearing is off. I will get pics up later.

Mcleod RXT FTW!

SVT_4_me

Established Member
i hope that the new clutch fixes your issue. but i REFUSE to buy a new clutch for a brand new $35k car. that is total bullshit. WTF ford...

chuckstang

Established Member
WTF is wrong with Ford and manual transmission set ups!

It took Ford nearly 2 years of back and forth to finally fix my GT500 for clutch/tranny issues.

My next Mustang will def be an Auto

acrbill

Established Member
Let me know if you have any tips for pulling the trans. Was the flywheel damaged at all? Also did your clutch come with new pressure plate bolts or did you buy new ones? I am having trouble finding the part number. Also what type of trans fluid did you put in the trans?

I just finished putting in my clutch yesterday. I was having trouble with getting the car into gear and the clutch not releasing. Also the pedal release was on the floor.

Took out the transmission and voila; two pressure plate bolts backed out and the plate fingers are not flat and the wear pattern on the throw out bearing is off. I will get pics up later.

Mcleod RXT FTW!

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member

i hope that the new clutch fixes your issue. but i REFUSE to buy a new clutch for a brand new $35k car. that is total bullshit. WTF ford...

This!!

acrbill

Established Member
Well my clutch is really starting to act up now. I have doubled my miles recently when I drove about 4500 miles in a few weeks time. Now it is very difficult to shift and it locks me out at any thing faster than a normal shift. It feels like a bungee cord is holding my shifter back during shifts. The messed up part is that I am 5 hours from home (Chicago) and not too far from the Mustang plant in Flat Rock (I wish I could just head down there and make them drive it LOL).

I already bought an aftermarket clutch but am concerned that if something happens to the trans that Ford will blame the aftermarket clutch so I will probably bring the car in under warranty for a stock replacement.

I am going to be very up front with my minimal mods and hope they respect the fact that the clutch was messed up the first time when the car was stock and instead of replacing the clutch they just tightened up the pressure plate bolts.

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
instead of replacing the clutch they just tightened up the pressure plate bolts.

Wow, i had a parts guy confirm to me that those bolts are torque to yield. That's a big screw up right there.

Users who are viewing this thread