My cobra won't idle!

qwikcoupe

Established Member
Just got done installing an Anderson cam in my 95 cobra and it refuses to idle out. It runs great at any throttle setting except for closed. I can drive it around and when I push the clutch in it just idles down and then dies.
I can stick something in between the stopscrew and the throttle bracket and get it to idle at 800 RPM but as soon as the shim is removed the RPM drops and it starts to stumble and then it dies. The shim thickness is that of about a penny but it makes all the difference. Any thoughts?

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
sounds like maybe an IAC problem or possible a vacuum leak? thanks for the thread, my friend was about to buy an anderson cam for one of his cars.

qwikcoupe

Established Member
Well I wouldn't take this as an indication of anderson's quality. As a matter of fact, its a great improvement over stock as far as throttle response and power go -it just won't idle properly. I've also got one of their cams in my other mustang and it runs great. As far as the problem goes, all the vacuum lines are fine and I assumed if it was the IAC it would throw a code, which it hasn't. I think I am just going to assume the computer is pulling timing and adding fuel, isn't that what these things have a bad reputation for? Anyone have any other input?

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Not to steal your thread, but what color is your Cobra? I wonder if I've seen you around before. I'm from Kewanee....

qwikcoupe

Established Member
Its rio red. Its got smoked headlights and Kosei racing 18's also which set it apart from looking stock. I have never left the immediate Peoria area with it so you may have seen me in the city but not outside of it.

As a by the way -it seems my car is running a bit rich. I think I am going to get some o2 sensors for it and see if it cleans up my idle. Anyone elses input is apreciated!

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
this was mentioned to me:

Why not just set the idle screw to up the idle and be done with it? If it runs fine closed and open loop, then just set the idle screw...

chadtn

Which cam did you install?

If cracking the throttle open with a spacer fixes the problem...what happens when you turn the set screw that far to keep it open? You could also try drilling a small hole in the throttle body blade.

You should probably datalog the car before you start throwing parts at it.

Chad

qwikcoupe

Established Member
Well thats the thing, you can't turn the setscrew. If it were a fox 5.0 I'd do that and be done with it. You can't turn the screw on this year for some reason. There isn't a head on it or a nut, just a screw.

I've got a buddy at a dealership who can scan it for me, I'll just have to take it in sometime if I can't solve the problem myself.

edit- its a B-21 cam

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
I'm experiencing the same problem right now and i have a Diablo chip being custom burned for my application right now that will hopefully solve my problem. You can't just turn the screw to set the idle higher as the computer will learn what it's doing and try to correct the problem when it "learns" what's going on...that's just the J4J1 computer on 94/95 Cobras. It's an awesome computer, but the factory settings are horrible, therefore i'm getting a chip to cure the problem. Once i get it i will let you know if it worked.

For now, you can cure the problem by trying to either bump up your timing or maybe lowering your fuel pressure if you have a Kirban AFPR or something like that. Since i don't have a timing light i can't do that at the moment. I haven't had time to take it back to the installers so he can play with my timing which is currently at 5 degrees base with 0 at the BTM (safe settings).

qwikcoupe

Established Member
The timing bump is a good thought but its already at 12 degrees and I don't want to risk detonation. I think I am going to have Anderson write me up a program for my PMS that would work with my cobra and switch it out from my other car. If that cures the problem then I'll just stick my stock 90 computer back in my coupe, it ran good with it anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread