My coolant leak def comes from the oil filter

brads1

Established Member
I drove it today, it doesn't always leak coolant, but sometimes on cool down it'll puke out tons of coolant... So I started driving it at 6am

I thought I had the issue resolved several times but now I see exactly where the leak is coming from... Where the oil filter is seated... It drips from the very bottom!

I searched, and you have to tighten the housing?? Has this happened to many of you?

BlownShift

Rex Kramer -Danger Seeker
Established Member
there should be a gasket under the housing... you could drain the fluids and replace that.. probably $12 or so for the gasket... unless it's just that the housing isn't torqued down right

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
I told you how to do it in your last post about this.
Remove the filter. The filter has its own o-ring. This is NOT the o-ring you need to address.
Tighten the adapter that the filter screws onto. Theres an o-ring in there(the cooler adapter). It will be fine after you tighten that adapter. You'll need like a 1" socket, maybe larger.

Last edited:

brads1

Established Member
Remove the filter.
Tighten the adapter that the filter screws onto. Theres an o-ring in there. It will be fine after you tighten that adapter. You'll need like a 1" socket, maybe larger.

You did, I posted on so many forums about this I forgot all about that... My mistake...

I can't remember if there is an Allen hex in the center of that threated bolt for the oil filter... How do you tighten? What size tool?

TIA

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Its not a hex, like the pushrod motors.
It will be a 1" or larger box wrench or socket.
Once you have the filter off, you'll see the part that the filter screws onto. You'll probably be able to turn that adapter by hand if its leaking that bad. Tighten it down and you'll be done.

Last edited:

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Good luck. Dont get too crazy with the tightening job. It seals in the same manner as the filter, an o-ring, not a gasket.

Remove the filter. The filter has its own o-ring. This is NOT the o-ring you need to address.
Tighten the adapter that the filter screws onto. Theres an o-ring in there(the cooler adapter). It will be fine after you tighten that adapter. You'll need like a 1" socket, maybe larger.

Good instructions. I'll follow yours if I get fortunate enough to have this leak.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Once you pull the filter it will be allot easier to see what I'm talking about. You'll get it. :beer:

brads1

Established Member
Once you pull the filter it will be allot easier to see what I'm talking about. You'll get it. :beer:

So the filter is off, I immediately saw a small puddle of coolant on the very edge of the housing... The threaded bolt wasn't what I would call, "loose," I couldn't budge it with my hand... But when I put a 12mm hex on a ratchet it was torqued on there a little less than what I'd call hand tight. The second I put any effort into it, it broke free and backed right out...

I pulled it out, examined the o-ring... Looked fine...

Cleaned up the whole area, put it back in and cranked it down pretty good... No He-Man stuff, but it's on there much tighter than before...

So now I guess we'll see what happens, I drove around for 20 min with the AC on, so the coolant should be just about as hot as possible given the 90 degree temps outside today.

Oh on edit, it was a 12mm hex :)

Users who are viewing this thread