my dogs killed the neighbors cat

Ill_W1N

Established Member
My neighbors cat is always roaming the neighborhood. My kids were playing on the side yard and my dogs saw the cat IN MY YARD and broke through the fence (85lb pit bull and little french bulldog). I hear a knock at the door and the neighbors daughter says your dogs are killing a cat. So i go get my dogs in another neighbors yard (not the neighbor who’s cat it is). They did a number on the cat. he couldn’t walk and both of its legs were broken. They ended up taking the cat to the vet and putting it down because it was paralyzed from having nerves in its back severed, so here’s my thing. I felt really bad about the whole situation and offered my condolences to my other neighbor and even payed his vet bill of $800 even though his stray ass cat was basically on my property where it got killed (died in my next door neighbors yard next to mine). the neighbors who own the cat live like 5 houses down. So he comes over yesterday and says he doesn’t want bad blood yada yada but he’s put my dogs back in my yard like 6 times and my dogs are out all the time lol. so u put my dogs back when they got out but never told me they got out and u put them back? yeah okay buddy. i didn’t say that to him because i was being polite but then he proceeds to tell me other neighbors are scared to walk in front of my house now because of my dogs. yada yada. this whole line of made up shit. my dogs are inside dogs btw. they only go out to piss and play when the kids are out so i know he’s full of shit. then he proceeds to say he just wants to let me know he’s going to file a report with humane animal services and they’re going to want to interview us ect and see the dogs and if they’re violent ect. I’ve never heard of this in my life. it’s not like my dogs attacked a human. they attacked another animal and as far as i know it’s dog on cat crime and that’s just life. dogs eat cats, humans shit, birds fly. it’s the circle of life. so is anyone up to date on laws or what a report is going to look like. my dogs are registered and they are not violent . I don’t even see how animal control can do anything. his cat wasn’t on a leash and it was on my property. i feel like i’ve been fair enough paying his vet fees and now he’s just being a bitch calling animal control on my dogs filing reports ect. What would u guys do differently? Imo he doesn’t have a leg to stand on. i was trying to keep the peace but if he’s going to keep all this up i’m going to have a problem with him. should i let him know? just go along with it and let him do his thing with the report filing or what.

bluebosss197

im did asbestos i can
Established Member
giphy.gif

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
If your dogs were in another neighbor's yard, which you said, then you may have an an issue. If it were in your backyard, maybe not.
I take it there are no fences out there? Hopefully your dogs are on leashes when out back playing with the kids.
Good luck bro. let us know how it goes.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Unfortunately one of the dogs is a pit. I love pits. But they have a bad rap and peeps love to "pile on" because of their own misconceptions. Get ready. Lawyer up.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
your dogs weren't secure in your yard and killed someone else's pet. Not to mention one of them is a pit. Easy case, even for a brain dead lawyer. You might as well bend over and lube up. Prepare to lose your homeowners insurance too

Ill_W1N

Established Member
I’ve talked to a lawyer. He is a deputy attorney general in california. He said don’t worry about it. It’s just as much his fault as mine. His cat was antagonizing the dogs and on my property. he said the fence is my fault but it’s not a dog issue it’s a fence issue. His cat being a stray cat is not in his favor. Just wondering if anyone else has had experience with this before

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Man, i hope the day you dog does not get aggitated by a loud kid.

If my pet was killed by another animal I would push to have it remived from the neighborhood or put to sleep. Because I would be pissed and concerned about repeat actions.

OK Bozos, stop clowning around.

Ill_W1N

Established Member
Your dogs on someone else's property means that you did not have control over them. Your fault. If for some reason that was a child that was attacked instead of a cat...

ks
his cat was on my property so it goes both ways. even tho the assault happened on common ground it’s not like my dogs broke out and killed his cat on his property

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Was your dog on a leash? Not sure of your laws but any dog in many states must be leashed and under the owners control at all times. You lost control of the situation by having a fence not built to prevent a killing.

KEVINS

Established Member
... So i go get my dogs in another neighbors yard (not the neighbor who’s cat it is).

See your above quote. If your dogs didn't stay on your property, probably your fault. You're responsible for containing your animals on your property and/or in your control... If your dogs remained at all times on your property the entire time then no problem. But from what you said above...$$$$

You can twist it all around but sorry to say you didn't have complete control of your dogs to keep them on your property at all times.

If the feline crossed into your property and the dogs ate and shit it out all on your property then no problem. Once they cross your property line then....

ks

Coosawjack

Established Member
Over here on the right coast they will cancel your Homeowner's Insurance if they find out you own a Pit Bull........just sayin'!!:eek:

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
Send neighbor a dead fish and fence in your ****in yard if you care anything about you dog.

As an owner of a pure bred American pitbull terrier it is my responsibility to control my dog 100% of the time. Maybe it’s not the right breed for you.

Last edited:

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Sorry this happened OP. I’m assuming you are a good pet owner and your dogs are nice.

But...

My English Lab loves other dogs...cats... whatever. I own one of the least aggressive and submissive breeds for a reason. I don’t want to EVER worry about a child or another animal being injured in any way by my pet whether on my property or not. If a toddler comes by and kicks my dog...pulls his ears...and screams at my dog, he will sit there and lick the little bastard up and down. That’s why I don’t own a pit or a rott...I agree they are beautiful and 99% of them are sweethearts. I just don’t want to have to worry about bad things happening. So I minimize my risk.

I hope things work out, but as some others have said you may be in for some trouble. Best of luck to you.

velocicaur

Established Member
This is a major issue and I cannot believe the police were not called right away?

Something awful happened and it very may well happen again. Unfortunately, it could be much worse next time. I am a dog lover but this is unacceptable. At the very least, you owe it to your neighbors (and dogs) to put a fence up immediately and keep them in there. Even then, I would be surprised if you were able to keep them.

This is a good example of "if the shoe was on the other foot" situation. You would NOT be happy. Your neighbors are not happy even though they may not say it to your face. It's not even the neighbors involved, it's the rest of them that know what has happened who also have children, pets, etc.

Ill_W1N

Established Member
I hate people that let cats run loose. If it would have died in your yard I would give you a high five.

Fix your fence to keep your animals in your yard.
i’m putting another lock on the bottom of the fence where they got through. it’s not like i let my animals run around the neighborhood like he does his cat. or did. My dogs have never attacked another dog and they are around my 2 and 4 year old all the time. They have never shown signs of aggression.

Users who are viewing this thread