My Engine Check Light Came ON!

1998Venom

Established Member
This is the first time that my Cobra has ever shown this light - is my local dealership the only way that I can have the engine code read?

Thanks.

LGSCHMIDTJR

Established Member
I have heard that Autozone will do free scans.
How many miles are on the car and did you check your gas cap and air box connections? I had recall on my Lightning and the CES came one and it turned out to be a broken air box clip that the dealer broke, and the last time the light came on i found a hose that came loose that ran to the air box.

Good luck
Laurence

1998Venom

Established Member
Unfortunately, I don't beleive AutoZone has locations in Toronto, however, will double check.

My car has approx 80,000 miles, and was thinking along the same lines, granted the car is idling and running fine. Thanks for the heads up with reference to some hoses, however, I'm running the JLT RAI. I'm thinking gas cap, oxygen sensors, and even my MSD wires (some longtime posters have warned me about these causing misfirings).

On another note, will disconnecting the battery for 30 or so minutes clear the code?

Thanks again.

SVT1996Cobra

Established Member
i think you only need to disconnet the battery for 5 minutes to clear the code, but it will come back after a day or two of driving if your problem still exists. I've had the CEL come on in my 96 only once, turned out to be the fuel filter clogged up and making me run lean.

1998Venom

Established Member
I took my car in to my local dealership today, and they read the code - P1516, which references the Intake Runner Control Module. I'm not technical by any stretch, so what does this mean? The code has been cleared, however, their only LT solution, should it re-occur, would be to replace the specific module at over $400 (CAD - or monopoly money for my US brethren) for parts and labour!

Has anybody ever receive this code before? Is this a sympton of a more significant problem? What was your immediate course of action and LT action? Thanks again.

SVT1996Cobra - I had them replace the fuel filter to be on the safe side!

mine pulled that same code......I bought the imrc controller for 30 bucks and 2 days later I stopped pulling that code and my car runs normal again, Im putting it on the dyno to make sure its running correctly though this coming week......mine went away, but when I was pulling that code, it was sluggish after 3000 rpm.....so I dunno*shrugs*

1998Venom

Established Member
Blk98Cobra - where did you purchase this IMRC controller? I would be very interested.

The funny thing is that my car did not feel sluggish after throwing this code.

Thanks again.

1998Venom

Established Member
What about an IMRC delete option as an alternative to replacing the controller, should it re-occur? Has anybody (I'm asking knowing that someone has) performed this modification, and what are the pros/cons, and was it worth it?

Thanks.

1998Venom

Established Member
OK, this is really pissing me off! Now, whenever I accelerate past 3200 RPMs, I get this whirring noise and the clutch pedal starts to rattle. What the f*#k? Is my transmission going? I'm hoping you guys can help with the diagnosis.

Thanks again.

1998Venom

Established Member
OK, this is really pissing me off! Now, whenever I accelerate past 3200 RPMs, I get this whirring noise and the clutch pedal starts to rattle. What the f*#k? Is my transmission going? I'm hoping you guys can help with the diagnosis.

Thanks again.

16yrCobraOwner

Established Member
venom, i may be young ( 17 yrs old ) but my car did the same. when this happend it was my clutch going up. but i dunno if that could be it. maybe a sensor in the tranny is being called , and maybe the tranny is messing up the clutch. jus a thought. and i think that u can goto any mechanic's shop and they can scan for you. for money though but ALOT cheaper prolly then dealerships would. jus a though :??:

anthony

1998Venom

Established Member
Thanks for the info - I've had 2 standard cars over the years, and have never had to repalce the clutch as of yet - so this is new territory for me! I remember you conducted a poll on clutches - what were the results? Thanks.

ok well......my check engine light came on yet again.....i was in third on the highway and right as i hit 3250 rpms....what do ya know....lol, i tried to replicate it again on the way home..(engine had been started 3 times before already so it usually clears the code) and nuttin....lol

Users who are viewing this thread