My engine is gone !

Yellow cobra

Established Member
I have 8 pistons gone :burn: cause i boost the engine with only
14 psi with the stock heat exchanger... any one have an idea about this matter :(

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Sucks man. Sorry to hear that. Can you give us more details?

Supercharger, turbo, power adder; (Eaton, ported Eaton, KB, Whipple, N2O, etc.): Eaton
Pulley sizes; (upper (in) and lower (lbs)): 2.8" upper
Boost psi: 14
RWHP/TQ and dyno type (Dynojet, Mustang, etc.): 480/506
A/F at peak power:
Octane of fuel:
Spark plugs (make, type and gap): TR6
Total timing at peak power:
Cooling system mods (e.g., heat exchanger, radiator, pump etc): Afco HE
Induction system mods; (CAI, TB, MAF (and size)): K&N filter
Fuel system mods; (fuel pumps, BAP, fuel rails, injector size):
Exhaust mods; (Headers, aftermarket X- or H-pipe, CB.): SLP LTs, X-pipe and CB
Miles at time of engine failure:
Date of failure:
Miles since modded:
Actual damage; (e.g., heat damage to pistons #x,y,z, mechanical damage, etc.): Lunched all 8
Suspected cause; (e.g., clogged injector, bad tune, vacuum leak, etc.):

mobius

CDM 2009
Established Member
hmm that makes no sense you need to elaborate on this story... are you running a canned tune? stock heat exchanger will not cause you to blow an engine at any boost level... other factors must be at play

also sig shows afco h/e :shrug:

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
these stories are getting more and more common. makes me think twice about the port and lower pulley i'm doing next week.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Yellow - BTW, by your mod list I don't see that you have an upgraded MAF, or MAFia or MAFXtender. Did you ever log your meter to make sure it didn't peg? (A 2.8" upper + dense air could result in a higher mass-air flow rate than the stock meter can support.)

o4cOb|2a

Wheel Hop 4 Life
Established Member
Shit I always wondered why mine won't blow up and now I know, thank god I bought a H/E :p

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
I'm guessing you had a bad tune or some bad gas. A stock heat exchanger doesn't lower intake temps. It just keeps intake temps from rising as quickly as they would with a stock one. The intake will still get hot with lots of WOT.

Also, 8 bad pistons? How did you find this out?

stangfreak

Established Member
guys.......the heat exchanger HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. your not going to blow up your motor running 14lbs of boost bc you still hve your stock heat exchanger. thats just silly.

there are guys running upper lower pulley combos with a ported blower on a stock heat exchanger.

theres more to it. 14lbs of boost on these cars should be cake. for you to hurt your motor with a upper only, either the motor was hurt before hand or the tune was wAAAAAY off

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
mlambrecht said:
maybe some 160+mph consecutive runs might have something to do with it.

That's just sad to think that 03/04 Cobras can't take high-speed runs. If I'm out in the wee hours of the morning and I'm all by myself on a straight deserted road and I wanna hammer it to 160+ I should be able to do so without worrying about the damn thing ticking afterwards. :bash:

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
93 347 Cobra said:
That's just sad to think that 03/04 Cobras can't take high-speed runs. If I'm out in the wee hours of the morning and I'm all by myself on a straight deserted road and I wanna hammer it to 160+ I should be able to do so without worrying about the damn thing ticking afterwards. :bash:
I know!

TIMS93GT

Established Member
I dont believe it was an issue with NOT having a heat exchanger. I am currently running a 2.76 upper 4lb lower setup on my ported blower with no problems. I also am running 23 degrees of timing and an air/fuel of 12.0 flat across the board. My car has no problems.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread