my exhaust is smokin

Im Blown

deployed to the sandbox.
Established Member
So, I'm not sure what caused it, but my exhaust is smokin white-bluish (pretty sure that it's burnt oil). It isn't noticeable at speed or WOT, but as soon as I touch the throttle (light or heavy) from an idle it will smoke heavily for about a second then stop or become unnoticeable. Driveabilty hasn't changed and nor can I hear any difference since the smoke, but I can see and smell the white/blue smoke. I think that it is coming from the passenger side cylinder bank because the smoke is primarily coming from the exhaust pipe closest to the front.
I talked to my tuner and he doesn't think that it is blow-by because he said it would pour smoke at WOT. I tried to stop or at least slow the smoke production by changing the engine oil from Mobil 1 syn. 5-30 to Castrol syn. 10-40...didn't do anything, so I added Lucas oil additive to the crankcase (supposed to heal seal the cylinders stopping blow-by) and a Lucas fuel additive (supposed to seat the valve seats that could be leaking). I'm going to pull the plugs tomorrow to see their condition and replace them.
What do you guys think it could be with these symptoms? (only smokes at initial throttle)
thanks again guys,
-Joshua
*BTW my PCV system is gone. Breathers are fitted onto the valve covers now
***Edit for pics/vids***
This is cylinder #3 and the dark one is #4
sparkplugs2.jpg

sparkplugs3.jpg

vid clip you can see when it smokes and when it doesn't (double click)
th_smokinexh-joshua.jpg

th_smokinexh-celisse.jpg

-Joshua

Last edited:

Im Blown

deployed to the sandbox.
Established Member
Update 4-17

I just changed the oil Sunday and upped the weight from 5-30 to 10-40...no change (oil wasn't milky at all)
So I put Lucas oil additive in it and it smoked a lil less (but is still consuming oil at rate of approx. 1/2 quart per 200 miles)
Today I changed the plugs and found that the plug closest to the firewall on the passenger's side bank of cylinders is the problem. The plug was black with burnt oil (other three on same bank were tan)...I tried to do a compression check but I couldn't get my adaptor to screw into the plug threads, so I wasn't able to get a compression check today...but now that I know which one to check, I'll check it as soon as I get a new compression tester. The engine isn't hesitating, detonating, or knocking, so what do you think it could be? The only things left that i can think of are either a valve seat seal, or piston ring blow-by. Any help is appreciated.
-Joshua

Im Blown

deployed to the sandbox.
Established Member
boost00 said:
thats what u get for sprayin the juice :nono: lol jk bo. hope u find the problem. my money is on bad gasket
I was thinkin that at first because I race on Thursday night at BMP...but the symptoms didn't appear until the next Monday (I did go racing in Tampa Sunday night, but didn't use the squeeze). Ah who knows what caused it (90,000 miles on the engine mind you)...I just wanna fix it as soon as possible, because it's embarrassing to leave a stoplight and look back and see that large blue cloud.:nonono:
-Joshua

Im Blown

deployed to the sandbox.
Established Member
VirtualSVT said:
1/2 quart every 200 miles?

Rings are gone.
that's what I am thinking too. That is really unfortunate, I wanted to build my engine...guess I will start looking for a good deal.
Anyone else have any input?
-Joshua

Users who are viewing this thread