My FFR AC Cobra build thread

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
I have to agree with 365 when comparing Superformance with F5 and most of the others. It seems like it simply boils down to the quality of the "kit" and it's difficult to notice the shortcomings of the others until they're side by side.

The AC Cobra has been one of my favorite cars for decades and I've seriously shopped builders on several occasions. Just haven't pulled the trigger yet, but it'll be a Superformance when I do. Here's a few for sale in FL:

I hear ya. Just never had anyone give me an example of where the quality of the kit falls short…. Just the general statement.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I hear ya. Just never had anyone give me an example of where the quality of the kit falls short…. Just the general statement.
Fiberglass door, fenders, hood, trunk lid ect. Great quality fiberglass work goes a long way in the overall outcome. Paint quality and application. Wire harness, wire quality, how it is routed and terminated. Having a full blown wiring diagram. The quality of the headers and side pipes. Chassis welds and finish. The entire chassis on a Superformance car is powder coated. The leather seats, Chrome quality. In some of these the difference is night and day, in other spots the differences are subtle. The overall impression, side by side is huge. Or was. My experience with the brands ends around 2015/16. Things could be much different now.
The Backdraft cars were the ones that handled the best. They are based on a BMW suspension/chassis and it showed.
600+ Hp in a 2,300 lb car is a weapon and you better know how to handle it or else. Most of the cars I built were in the low to mid 500 hp range. Two of them in the mid 400's. In contrast, they felt weak. Lol. Driver skill goes a long way in enjoying the ride. I guarantee that if you are in a foul mood and you get behind the wheel, hell, just be a passenger and within 5 min you are grinning ear to ear. You can't be sad and drive a Cobra.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Fiberglass door, fenders, hood, trunk lid ect. Great quality fiberglass work goes a long way in the overall outcome. Paint quality and application. Wire harness, wire quality, how it is routed and terminated. Having a full blown wiring diagram. The quality of the headers and side pipes. Chassis welds and finish. The entire chassis on a Superformance car is powder coated. The leather seats, Chrome quality. In some of these the difference is night and day, in other spots the differences are subtle. The overall impression, side by side is huge. Or was. My experience with the brands ends around 2015/16. Things could be much different now.
The Backdraft cars were the ones that handled the best. They are based on a BMW suspension/chassis and it showed.
600+ Hp in a 2,300 lb car is a weapon and you better know how to handle it or else. Most of the cars I built were in the low to mid 500 hp range. Two of them in the mid 400's. In contrast, they felt weak. Lol. Driver skill goes a long way in enjoying the ride. I guarantee that if you are in a foul mood and you get behind the wheel, hell, just be a passenger and within 5 min you are grinning ear to ear. You can't be sad and drive a Cobra.
Holy shit this is a great post. Do the super performance come painted with the body work finished and all?

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Holy shit this is a great post. Do the super performance come painted with the body work finished and all?
Yes. Thus the $60K price tag. They do not come with an engine, transmission, fuel system, oil cooler hoses, radiator or heater hoses, stuff like that. They do come with the exhaust system for the engine you choose and engine/trans mounts. No driveshaft. There is not even a hole in the trans tunnel for the shifter. No ignition system, none of that stuff. But full interior/gauges/dash. Windshield, wheels/tires (true knock offs) /brakes/suspension.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Superformance offers an all aluminum body as well. Be prepared to pay. Most awesome Cobra I saw was an aluminum body, polished to a mirror with the stripes being a light sand/bead blast of the aluminum to give it the raw aluminum look. Drop. Dead. Gorgeous.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Remember the SBF comes in 8.2 deck (max 363) and 9.5 deck (the common 427 for these cars), so if you are going SBF the 347-363 may be the best option for the build and save you some cost/space/understeer.
After driving carb 351W based cars tgat would be my last choice but I’ll never choose carb over EFI especially on a new build.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I wonder how Voodoo would do in a kit Cobra, the sound would be amazing.
That was my plan for our eventual build.
The one I spec’d for my wife was $83k from a local Backdraft dealer in 2020.
I personally would only build one for our goals with a Coyote. Here’s some eye candy.
-J

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Superformance offers an all aluminum body as well. Be prepared to pay. Most awesome Cobra I saw was an aluminum body, polished to a mirror with the stripes being a light sand/bead blast of the aluminum to give it the raw aluminum look. Drop. Dead. Gorgeous.
Aluminum body
816c0ac21c323b9efd5477cb20c45685.jpg

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Remember the SBF comes in 8.2 deck (max 363) and 9.5 deck (the common 427 for these cars), so if you are going SBF the 347-363 may be the best option for the build and save you some cost/space/understeer.

-J
My friend has a 377 cid 8.2 deck SBF. (4.140 X 3.5)
My own engine is 365 cid. (4.135 X 3.4)
387 cid is not out of the question. (4.2 X 3.5)
Rumor has it someone has a 393 cid 8.2 deck engine. (4.2 X 3.55)

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Will the Godzilla motor work in these? I would imagine so. I'd probably do a black color because they are so menacing, but the candy apple red colors look good on these too, or what about some of the lighter factory Ford blue colors, like the lighter blues that they have been offering lately.
Agree on the candy red, but think Godzilla motor is pretty heavy.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Agree on the candy red, but think Godzilla motor is pretty heavy.
This. While it weighs a bit more or close as an aftermarket headed 9.5 deck (both aluminum head/iron block) I’d not make this too complicated and deal with the Godzilla packaging right now.
I’d want an aluminum block in a Cobra.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
My friend has a 377 cid 8.2 deck SBF. (4.140 X 3.5)
My own engine is 365 cid. (4.135 X 3.4)
387 cid is not out of the question. (4.2 X 3.5)
Rumor has it someone has a 393 cid 8.2 deck engine. (4.2 X 3.55)
Yes but the common max sizes are 363 (8.2) and 427 (9.5) for SBF.
We both have a good understanding of SBF from personally building them over the years but trying to keep this simple for guys trying to put together one on a budget.
-J

railroad

Established Member
I have the 5.0 Aluminator, over 500 hp per Ford, 8100 rpm red line, all forged and up graded internals.
It is a little soft below 2500 rpm, but everything comes together from there up.
I had to add a shift light, numbers happen fast.
I bought engine covers, but have not decided on colors or logos.
I need to detail engine after body got painted.

Attachments

• 20230608_101142.jpg
    20230608_101142.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 95

MG0h3

Established Member
Damn and the engine doesn’t torque over and hit what looks like the strut towers?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Me likey that combo.

Having looked over the inventory of Superformance and Backdraft cars out there, I find that they are not that much more than building a new FFR Cobra. $75k is about what I'm finding is an average price. Keeping in mind that some of these are 10+ year old builds. I think the Superformance new price is over $100k now.

I'm still moving forward with FFR. I really want to experience the build. It has been a long time since I've had a project to wrench on. And now I'll have a nice big shop to do it in. Floors are getting coated a week from Friday. Lift is in, cherry picker is at the ready as well as the engine stand. Bought some paint supplies today, but that is for the truck projects I have.

I also met with my engine builder today. I think I've settled on a 363. I took into account the comments about weight on the front end. Even though this is not a track car, I'd like it to be well balanced with a nice ride. More to come.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello @wizbangdoodle ,

Man you have the coolest threads on this site right now.....

Okay, everyone in my family always tells me I have too many cars. However, I have told all of them that I "WILL" have a replica Shelby Cobra one day.

I have not gone as far as you have with the research process as far as brands and all that. However, I have put a lot of thought into what I would want.

Here is my current thinking:

Color: Cannot be and will not be "anything" that is considered classic or normal. It cannot be anything weird or obnoxious. So, I want to go with a bronze, root beer or copper type of color. Stripes will be black or some type of greyish or goldish color depending on body color (I think root beer with greyish stripes would be badass. Maybe goldish stripes depending on wheel choice). I have thought about white body with gold stripes. Although that could be considered classic most normally go white with blue or red stripes.

Drive train: I really love the set up in my 65. So, I think I would replicate it. My Shelby Cobra MUST have an 8 stack injection system. So, I would go with a 351W stroked to a 427 with Borla 8 stack EFI (I love mine). I would go with a TKX and a 9 inch rear-end.

Wheels: Although I love the Hilibrand style with knock offs they have been WAY overdone on the Shelby Cobra. It's almost like no other wheel exists LOL. I love them too LOL. So, I think I would want the Shelby Anniversary editions. I think these would look badass on a bronze, root beer or copper colored Cobra....
Shelby Cobra 02.JPG

Shelby Cobra 01.JPG

Gauges: The only thing that drives me nuts about these cars is the backwards speedometer. So, I would change that out for one the rotates clockwise LOL. I like my Speedhut gauges in my 65. So, I would probably go with a custom set from them.

And there you have it. That's my dream Cobra. One day. I might be 75 when that day comes, but it will come LMAO!!!!

Good luck on your build/dream. I'm so looking forward to your build thread brother!!!

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Black gold, make it happen my friend, although I'm a bit jealous of that t-bird you have in your garage right now.

I think your cobra build, the way you describe, will be awesome. I hope to see a thread on it some time in the near future.

I'm with you on colors. While some of these traditional color combos are gorgeous, I'm looking for something a bit different. Not wild, but just not the same, traditional color scheme. We'll see what happens.

Your government is lying to you

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
If someone would make a real top that can come up in 30 seconds and do better that a 40 year old coleman tent it'd be hard (aside the $$$) to not go Sonic or Deep impact Blue with ebony stripes and a Coyote and have a new daily.

Users who are viewing this thread