My first Android game - The Proximity Project

key

Established Member
Just got "done" (software is never really done) with the first game I have ever written.. It's called the Proximity Project.

You basically fly down cliffs in a wingsuit and score more points the closer you stay to the cliff. There are also courses and gates that you have to pass through to score more points and unlock new suits/levels.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.autonoma.proximityproject

It's free, and you can unlock the entire game without paying anything at all (unlike some other "free" games where you have to pay for more levels).

79YzSPfUTaSt3M8sPXW8scSBuLrTD2xPqU50GRwr9Oszmsqjv4xe604JQeWq_BQdxl8=w300-rw

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
On my GS4, it was a tad glitchy here and there, but overall ran smoothly on HIGH. Definitely took some time to learn to control the movement, but once I got it it's pretty darn fun! Good job man

LostRacer

I drive a Jalopy
Established Member
Worked well on my Gnex on high. Only a couple video lag hiccups, but thats probably hardware age.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
LG Optimus G handled it just fine.

textures are boring. terrain itself is ok, just not very detailed, even on high. trees look ok enough.

controls are decent. would prefer a slider so i could fine tune it versus being forced to pick one setting. low is too low and medium is a lil too fast for me.

how about some music or a way to play music already on the phone as a sound track? thatd be pretty cool.

multiplayer???? would love to race heads up against people, either in a deathmatch kinda scenario where you knock each other out of the air or just straight speed or something.

lastly, i think itd be nice to show a lil animation of the guy jumping off a cliff to start, een if its just once each time you loaded the game or something like that. i dunno. seems a lil cheesy to me to have the the already flying when you start.

fun game, lotsa potential. i will follow it.

Mackey

Established Member
I like it!

I've been fooling around with Android Studio recently. Did you use AS or Eclipse to build / design it?

The 3D graphics, are they all OpenGL? What environment did you use for the 3D design?

I'll make sure to follow the game and play it!

key

Established Member
LG Optimus G handled it just fine.
textures are boring. terrain itself is ok, just not very detailed, even on high. trees look ok enough.

controls are decent. would prefer a slider so i could fine tune it versus being forced to pick one setting. low is too low and medium is a lil too fast for me.

how about some music or a way to play music already on the phone as a sound track? thatd be pretty cool.

multiplayer???? would love to race heads up against people, either in a deathmatch kinda scenario where you knock each other out of the air or just straight speed or something.

lastly, i think itd be nice to show a lil animation of the guy jumping off a cliff to start, een if its just once each time you loaded the game or something like that. i dunno. seems a lil cheesy to me to have the the already flying when you start.

fun game, lotsa potential. i will follow it.

Thank you for the honest feedback. The slider idea for the settings is a good one - I was trying to make it easy but now that you mention it a slider provides a lot more functionality.

I'm working on the start animation already and some new maps with more/better texturing. As far as the detail of the terrain goes it is kind of limited by the rendering capabilities of mobile devices. I'm running 30-40k tris already (on medium resolution), and that's getting close to the max for a lot of devices. Same goes for textures for the most part.

Thanks again,
Zach

key

Established Member
I like it!

I've been fooling around with Android Studio recently. Did you use AS or Eclipse to build / design it?

The 3D graphics, are they all OpenGL? What environment did you use for the 3D design?

I'll make sure to follow the game and play it!

I wrote this game using Unity3D (Unity - Game Engine). If you know C# or Java and have some motivation you can pick up Unity and have a game written in a couple weeks (I wrote a simple game last Friday in about 6 hours, actually). This game is kind of complicated so it took me longer (about 2 1/2 months).. But I literally knew almost nothing about 3D game programming before I started it. Now I can't play a game without questioning and figuring out how they did different effects :)

I didn't create the 3D model for the suit, I farmed that work out to a contractor. He made the basic shape of the suit and put joints in it, then I scripted the code to make the suit move/react/fly like it does in the game. That way I could concentrate on my main roll of developing the rest of the game, and not waste tons of time learning Maya or Blender. Very rarely are games completely written/modeled by one guy, and if they are, they take a *long* time to produce. Luckily you can buy a lot of 3D models/props from the following sites:

3D Models, Textures and Plugins at TurboSquid
Blend Swap

And, of course, Unity has a fantastic Asset store:
https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/

Good luck!
Zach

Users who are viewing this thread