My first runs down the 1/4 mile, I'm stoked!!!

1luckysob

Established Member
Well I took my Cobra to the track last nite and ran down the qaurter for the first time in my life. I was pretty nervous, you know, sweaty palms and all.
Anyways I was shooting for a mid 12 sec pass considering my mods and lack of experience. I bounced it out the rev limiter in first and third on my 1st run so I didn't get there on my first run, but the second run felt awesome. I've got some pics of my timeslips so here goes, the first pic is of my first run, second pic is second run.
100_3177.gif

100_3178.gif

Mods are in my sig. I was running full weight, 20 psi in my tires, and 1/4 tank of VP 110 octane. It was pretty hot out last nite, about 88* with high humidity.
BTW drag racing is a whole lot more fun than I thought it would be. IM HOOKED!!!! I know my car has more in it, I just need some more practice and seat time. I think with DR's and practice I may be able to get into the
11's, what do yall think.:pepper:

Last edited:

SYMach1

IRS FTW!
Established Member
Good to see you had fun, practice and you will get that thing into the 11's, my buddys 03 cobra w/Sieggy port went 11.55@123

Ubergeist

Established Member
1luckysob said:
Well I took my Cobra to the track last nite and ran down the qaurter for the first time in my life. I was pretty nervous, you know, sweaty palms and all.
Anyways I was shooting for a mid 12 sec pass considering my mods and lack of experience. I bounced it out the rev limiter in first and third on my 1st run so I didn't get there on my first run, but the second run felt awesome. I've got some pics of my timeslips so here goes, the first pic is of my first run, second pic is second run.
100_3177.gif

100_3178.gif

I don't know, something seems wrong you have 120more whp than me. Yet I able to trap 112-113. Full weight w/ a full tank of gas. Race weight is right at 4000lbs.

Your first run looks identical to mine when I hiccuped on the 2-3 shift and missed 4th entirely. Not to long after that we diagnosed my car in need of a clutch adjustment.

Mods are in my sig. I was running full weight, 20 psi in my tires, and 1/4 tank of VP 110 octane. It was pretty hot out last nite, about 88* with high humidity.
BTW drag racing is a whole lot more fun than I thought it would be. IM HOOKED!!!! I know my car has more in it, I just need some more practice and seat time. I think with DR's and practice I may be able to get into the

I don't know, something seems wrong you have 120more whp than me. Yet I able to trap 112-113. Full weight w/ a full tank of gas. Race weight is right at 4000lbs.

Your first run looks identical to mine when I hiccuped on the 2-3 shift and missed 4th entirely. Not to long after that we diagnosed my car in need of a clutch adjustment.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
I also get psyched up before I race....round here we call it adrenalin..LOL j/k.

Don't worry about times etc. just have fun. What times were other cars running that night? That usually tells you how you are doing in comparison to Vette's, Camaro's and Dodge's etc,

mfewtrail

Established Member
Ubergeist said:

Summers in Georgia = not the best time to go drag racing, boosted vehicles seem to take a bit hit in power when it's hot/humid here.

1luckysob, what track did you race at?

1luckysob

Established Member
mfewtrail said:
Summers in Georgia = not the best time to go drag racing, boosted vehicles seem to take a bit hit in power when it's hot/humid here.

1luckysob, what track did you race at?

Jackson drag strip. The House of Hook, so they call it...

To everyone else saying my times are high: I know the CAR is an 11 second
car, but that was my first time drag racing, I have alot of room for improvement. Plus the heat and humidity take alot away from my car. It will run .3-.4 tenths quicker in the fall just because of the lower temps. All in all, I am pretty happy with the results, I just need some more practice.

98bullet

Established Member
1luckysob said:
100_3177.gif

100_3178.gif

I agree...goodluck

Venimus03

Established Member
Practice and you will get there.......all though I do think that you should at least be trapping a higher mph with your mods........In my stock 04 cobra I ran a 12.68 @ 113.48....

1luckysob

Established Member
Venimus03 said:
Practice and you will get there.......all though I do think that you should at least be trapping a higher mph with your mods........In my stock 04 cobra I ran a 12.68 @ 113.48....

I spun pretty bad coming out of the hole and a little bit shifting into second and third, I really need to learn how to launch. I bought the vehicle already modded so I'm just going off of what I was told about the hp#'s.

Venimus03

Established Member
1luckysob said:
I spun pretty bad coming out of the hole and a little bit shifting into second and third, I really need to learn how to launch. I bought the vehicle already modded so I'm just going off of what I was told about the hp#'s.
I see, you should bring it to get it dyno'd and get the a/f checked out to make sure everything is good.

mpe331lx

Mine's stock too
Established Member
1luckysob said:

Regardless of traction, your trap speed is way low for your power. Even without driving your car to the max, it should ATLEAST trap 117.

My Cobra dynoed exactly the same as yours, 492/467. The last time I had it to the track I ran an 11.72 @ 123.9 bogging it on the launch.

I have the same combo in my swapped 95 (aside from a set of aviator heads). I took it to the track for a couple shake down passes last night. The track prep sucked and it was so damn humid.
I made three passes that I'm not too happy with. I need to get it on the dyno soon.

60' -------2.179---2.131----1.957
330 ------5.589 ---5.447----5.243
1/8 ------ 8.167---8.306-----7.864
MPH ----- 97.13---89.48-----94.86
1000 -----10.406--10.636----10.109
1/4 ------12.274---12.572----11.996
MPH -----121.00---117.00----119.84

I did not powershift due to temporary use of stock shifter,
The first two runs I spun pretty bad. I missed third on the second run.
I did a real burnout on the third run and the car came out of the hole with minimal spin. I was going to try to launch harder on the next run, but the track got shut down early due to a large oil spill.

I think that MY mph is down from what it should be. I'm sure that the humidity did not help (I trapped 123.9 in better conditions last september) at all.

You may want to tru and get your car on a dyno to verify that it is STILL making the advertised 492/467.

Belt slip could also be a major issue:
When I first got my Cobra I took it to the track on some beat Nitto drs. The best I was able to get was a 12.5 @ 109. The MPH was way to low for my mods 2.8, CAI, midpipe, and cat back. I noticed quite a bit of belt dust all over my engine. I put a new belt on with an aux idler and i picked up 10 mph. I ended up getting a 12.0 @ 119. I wasnt able to get the car into the 11s until I bolted on a set of ET streets.

Last edited:

1luckysob

Established Member
mpe331lx said:
Belt slip could also be a major issue:
When I first got my Cobra I took it to the track on some beat Nitto drs. The best I was able to get was a 12.5 @ 109. The MPH was way to low for my mods 2.8, CAI, midpipe, and cat back. I noticed quite a bit of belt dust all over my engine. I put a new belt on with an aux idler and i picked up 10 mph. I ended up getting a 12.0 @ 119. I wasnt able to get the car into the 11s until I bolted on a set of ET streets.

I have thought about that, I dont know how old the belt is. I do see a little dust on the idlers(I have all 4). Does the dust mean I am getting slippage?

mpe331lx

Mine's stock too
Established Member
1luckysob said:
I have thought about that, I dont know how old the belt is. I do see a little dust on the idlers(I have all 4). Does the dust mean I am getting slippage?
Definately! Get a new belt!

Users who are viewing this thread