my first truck

blk93

Established Member
finally bought a 93 svt lightning and need help. truck is an original owner with 88k miles and im ready for basic bolt-ons. was considering a complete exhaust system(any suggestions?). pulleys(which ones-and where to get them?) transmission shift kit and perhaps an upgraded stall. truck runs real good but im going to give it a tune-up anyway. what size t.b. does these trucks have and should i upgrade? also considering an electric waterpump. really want want to get it to run around 8.90's in the 1/8 mile and was wondering was this feasible with such little work. have a couple of chevy buddies that are doing it with their trucks with single throttle-bodies. don't really want to go nitrous or s/c route for a while and don't want to tear into the motor. just want to keep up with those guys. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

scootro

Established Member
blk93 said:
finally bought a 93 svt lightning and need help. truck is an original owner with 88k miles and im ready for basic bolt-ons. was considering a complete exhaust system(any suggestions?). pulleys(which ones-and where to get them?) transmission shift kit and perhaps an upgraded stall. truck runs real good but im going to give it a tune-up anyway. what size t.b. does these trucks have and should i upgrade? also considering an electric waterpump. really want want to get it to run around 8.90's in the 1/8 mile and was wondering was this feasible with such little work. have a couple of chevy buddies that are doing it with their trucks with single throttle-bodies. don't really want to go nitrous or s/c route for a while and don't want to tear into the motor. just want to keep up with those guys. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
congrats! welcome to the 1st gen club...

John O'Donal

For the money make sure you do NOT change items that will take away from your driveability.

Most stock Gen1s run in the 15.2-15.5 range, you can get in the 14.9 - 15.2 range with alittle work.
Doing better than 14.5s will take alot of work with no power adder.

If you do pulleys and electric fans, you will need a 130 Amp Alt conversion to keep your charging in the green with your headlights/defrost on. *130 Amp Alternator is a direct bolt in item.
for a daily driver I dont recommend the electric waterpump.

For your exhaust, Bassani is nice and will last forever because its stainless. But alittle more power can be found with Long tubes.
If your going to race, get rancho traction bars.
They will preserve your drivetrain and help you to hook up.

I have worked on my truck since it was new to make it as fast as I could with no power adder. My truck is my daily driver with over 143000 on the odometer now. I have run a best of [email protected] while running at FFW last year.

I have run a faster.. MPH, but my 1/4 mile time was slower. There is a video showing one of my runs in 2003 here.

http://www.dragtruk.com/ENTRIES/J5OTW7M2LLTZ.html

take care

Users who are viewing this thread