My Focus ST (on 26#s) vs 2011 SRT8 Challenger

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
So I was cruising home (around 11:30pm) from a local car meet last night when I come up on a green SRT8 Challenger that was cruising about 60-65mph. I slow down enough to see what is up with the driver, but they don't seem interested so I increase my speed to about 70mph and get about a 1/4 mile in front of him. I drop back to 65mph and this SRT8 is coming up on me quick as much of the traffic has passed. He proceeds to do a mini ricer fly-by on me and I could hear this exhaust roaring, definitely not stock. He pulls about 2-3 cars during his fly-by then actually slows down to line up with me! I downshift to 3rd at about 60mph and put my hand out the window motioning foward to give HIM THE HIT. As soon as I hear that exhaust open up (I'm brake boosting with about 5psi built) I hit it and damn I spooled fast as hell. This was my first roll race doing a brake boost and wow, what a difference.

We were neck and neck through the top of 3rd gear. I shift to 4th and once spooled again I quickly pull about a half car and almost a full car I'd say by the top of 4th. We were coming up on traffic quick so he let out. I think he was both surprised and embarrassed to get pulled on by my stock looking ST. He slowed to probably 55mph and just fell back into traffic, maybe with his ego sunk?

I was on a 26psi tune that isn't quite dialed in (still pulling a tad of timing) so I imagine I was making 370whp or in that ball park. Anyone know what a intake/exhaust 2011+ SRT8 Challenger puts down to the wheels? Or even stock?

ScreamingFast

Chicks love big Slicks!!
Established Member
Very nice!!! My wife's is quick (not fast at all) but I can imagine with your numbers how fast your car must roll, good kill!

Ponyracer1

Established Member
That's awesome! I've been thinking about a focus for my next DD, what mods do you have? Your on a 26lb tune? Stock engine internals? What supporting mods? I know just about ZERO about these cars except they look good for a compact and seem quick!

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
That's awesome! I've been thinking about a focus for my next DD, what mods do you have? Your on a 26lb tune? Stock engine internals? What supporting mods? I know just about ZERO about these cars except they look good for a compact and seem quick!

Hey man, I have a stock looking, upgraded turbo, full bolt-on ST.

GTX2867R turbo
intake
FMIC
full catless exhaust

26# is not possible on stock turbo...and yes I'm on stock motor. Haven't found the power limits yet on the platform, just motors popping due to bad tuning and other one off type issues...

Ponyracer1

Established Member
Wow that's great they actually put a decent lower end in an "entry" level car. Figured it would be like so many others, saving a buck and right on the edge of going POP.

b_dike

Established Member
Nice kill... Every time a read one of these st kill stories makes me regret not getting one. Bought the base 2.0 tivct hatch instead. For me the mpg's were more important...

Last edited:

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Good Kill!!

I bet the SRT was stock, people don't realize how loud these cars are stock. If he did have what you're guessing he did he should be trapping high teens. Stock the 392 puts out around ~410rwhp believe, with the assumed mods I think its ~440rwhp. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
Good Kill!!

I bet the SRT was stock, people don't realize how loud these cars are stock. If he did have what you're guessing he did he should be trapping high teens. Stock the 392 puts out around ~410rwhp believe, with the assumed mods I think its ~440rwhp. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Nah, I've seen stock ones run at the track and this one definitely had muffler deletes or something...it was pretty loud...so loud it kinda made me nervous lol. If it was tuned probably would have pulled me. Who knows.

MACHXLR8

Third Member
Established Member
Nah, I've seen stock ones run at the track and this one definitely had muffler deletes or something...it was pretty loud...so loud it kinda made me nervous lol. If it was tuned probably would have pulled me. Who knows.

Good kill! Seems like your ST moves out.
Do you have any weight modification or are you at the stock weight? I am not really familiar with the Ecoboost platform but as far as the motor, does the ST have all forged internals? How much power do you think they can handle safely?

matt5058

Established Member
Nice kill. I've been a big ST fan since I first saw a Yellow/Orange one in person. At first I had no idea what it was, so then looked it up online and I think it's a great car, especially for the price. I have driven my friend's 2013 and really liked the feel of the car, more so than another buddy's 2008 WRX that I drove shortly after. I hope they continue to improve on the Focus ST from the factory. I'd definitely look at them again in the next couple of years as a second fun car/more practical daily driver. :)

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
Good kill! Seems like your ST moves out.
Do you have any weight modification or are you at the stock weight? I am not really familiar with the Ecoboost platform but as far as the motor, does the ST have all forged internals? How much power do you think they can handle safely?

Thanks man. I just have spare tire removed, that's all. The rods are forged...piston are not. Not really sure how much power yet! It seems to all come down to the tuning right now. Haven't seen a windowed block yet.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I can't wait to payoff my truck and start looking at a fun little car to buy. The ST may be on my list.

Users who are viewing this thread